Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
We'll do that.  King Tut @ noon.

http://www.kingtutegyptian.com/

1512 Magnolia Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104
PHONE: (817) 335-3051
View Quote
I didn’t know that place existed. Was it good?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Dallas Market Hall next weekend.
View Quote
The Safari Club show is the same weekend. I may try to do both.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Adventurer96:  I didn’t know that place existed. Was it good?
View Quote
King Tut has been good for years.  I've been eating there for more than 10 years, from my Arabic student days.

If you go there for dinner, get a to-go box for the beef shwarma.  It's delicious, but it's too much.  The lunch portion is perfect.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#5]
Originally Posted By Adventurer96:  The Safari Club show is the same weekend. I may try to do both.
View Quote
Gun Shows USA needs to step up their game.  

https://www.biggame.org/convention/  @ the Dallas Convention Center downtown.  Helipad available for the ARFCOMers who don't travel with the hoi polloi.  There's also a transit station if you wish to OC on DART.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Adventurer96:
I didn't know that place existed. Was it good?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
We'll do that.  King Tut @ noon.

http://www.kingtutegyptian.com/

1512 Magnolia Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104
PHONE: (817) 335-3051
I didn't know that place existed. Was it good?
It's very good. Try the Turkish coffee while you're there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Subnet:  It's very good. Try the Turkish coffee while you're there.
View Quote
He was wired for the whole show.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I miss the gun shows at the Old Convention center. Unfortunate that the politics of the city of Dallas put a stop to it.
I bought and sold many firearms there and bought lots of gear at these shows. At one point they wouldn't sell ammo but would sell you a beer.

The venue used to also schedule multiple events on the same day. The best day was a gun show downstairs, a guitar show in the small upper hall, and a TV preacher mega service in the concert hall.  The tour buses were about to tip over with folks all on one side trying to get a picture of this mixed mass of humanity on the sidewalks around the building.
The parking situation was a nightmare though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Headed down to the Safari show w/ my dummy gun & multi-colored stock.  Post up if you're already there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#10]
$15 parking in the garage under the convention center.  S&W & Remington both had booths - got to handle the new mag-fed 870.  The marketing girl got out a mag for me - locks up solid.  They extended the bolt release to make it around the magwell.

Lots & lots of accents not from 'round here.

Saw the new POF Revolution - holy hell, the guy did figure out how to cram a .308" into a standard length AR lower - by moving the magwell & FCS backwards.  It is no shit the same length as an AR-15 receiver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't have any changes this weekend and I'm not on call for once, so I think I might go to Market Hall. Looking at Sunday since it's supposed to rain and I haven't been shooting in a month.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I don't have any changes this weekend and I'm not on call for once, so I think I might go to Market Hall. Looking at Sunday since it's supposed to rain and I haven't been shooting in a month.
View Quote
Leaning that way too. Rainy days scream gun show. Plus, after screwing up my CHL, I found a class to take on Saturday.

Post up if you’re heading to MH Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Report if there are any good deals on AR stripped lowers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got back from Safari. I had to pay $20, I was lucky to find that. 25% off Goal Zero made it worth it. Add in a stop to Pecan Lodge, all is good!
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Market Hall is kind of depressing. It seems like it has fewer tables than ever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Adventurer96:  Market Hall is kind of depressing. It seems like it has fewer tables than ever.
View Quote
They're not promoting it very well.  Every other gun show in town has billboards on the highways.

Blow it off & head to the Safari show @ the Convention Center.  Park on the street, you'll save some cash.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]

They're not promoting it very well.  Every other gun show in town has billboards on the highways.

Blow it off & head to the Safari show @ the Convention Center.  Park on the street, you'll save some cash.
View Quote
See you there...
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Wish I could have gone. Ended up going to Cabelas to find some specialty 300blk hunting rounds and spent a couple hours there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought it was a good show.  Smaller with fewer tables but almost all the tables there were actually selling guns.  SAW is selling at cost since they are closing down.  Picked up VP9sk night sights and 3 mags for 549.  Without night sights were 499.  They had the smaller CZ steel frame at around 430.  Saw Glock 26 for 425 new and multiple other deals.  Glock 33 rounders for 25,

Most of the vendors there were priced to sell.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Market Hall is kind of depressing. It seems like it has fewer tables than ever.
View Quote
Did you see any good deals on stripped lowers?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#21]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:  Wish I could have gone. Ended up going to Cabelas to find some specialty 300blk hunting rounds and spent a couple hours there.
View Quote
You should've dropped by.  I still have some Christmas money on a Cabela's gift card to spend.

Will head to the shows tomorrow.  Still undecided if I'll go back to the Safari Club show.  Think it closes early.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Tboy:
There were several vendors with good prices on stripped lowers.  There were a lot of deals there, I think a lot of these guys are getting tired of sitting on inventory.

Did you see any good deals on stripped lowers?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#23]
@Motown_Steve and I'll be on the scene around 10:30 tomorrow morning.  Not sure which show we're hitting 1st.  Where will everyone else be when?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
We're headed to the Safari show 1st.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Market hall is very disappointing. No real deals, usual characters.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By gsc0527:
View Quote
No kidding and still $10.00 for a show with half the vendors.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:12:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 98kGuy] [#27]
Meh, Market Hall was market Hall, sucky attendance....really shitty door, yesterday, and even worse today....

Attendance has been sliding the last few shows....I still say there are waaaaayyyyy too many shows...I mean you can hit a gunshow just about every weekend in the area between Mesquite and Ft Worth and Waxahachie and Denton and Allen...

Also, I think DACA does a shitty job of advertising...I talked to one of the DACA guys today, and suggested marketing it as a Gun/Knife/Militaria show to bring more guys interested in militaria out. You say "Gunshow" here, and people think like Mesquite, where there is little to no militaria to speak of.

Market Hall has probably the most militaria of any gunshow (not militaria show) in the area, Ft Worth being a close second....I'd love to see more militaria buyers coming out.

Did ok selling, but only really because I sold off a double in my collection 1938 ERMA 98k....

But picked up a lot of neat stuff....a Jap 37x134R tank gun AP round, a German pre-WWI 37x94R HE round, which were used onboard "civilian" commerce raiders, a US Winchester made 37mm Heavy Hotchkiss revolver cannon round, a 20x110 USN round, a 20x102 plastic dummy round, a minty 20x110 USN dummy, a Jap Type 88 Artillery fuze, an early 50mm French Brandt HE mortar round (missing fuze sadly) a M4 60mm mortar sight, and a VERY nice late WWII Westinghouse paratrooper helmet liner, complete....and a .50 cal M2 muzzle gland/booster wrench.

I did get a Magpul ACS for my M4gry too...

And Saturday, my 7 year old son's Lego Army grew by 7 troops, so he was happy...

But they really need to get more people through the door or its going to get smaller and smaller as dealers stop killing a weekend for nothing....
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By geegee:

No kidding and still $10.00 for a show with half the vendors.
View Quote
Hall costs the same to DACA whether filled or not....but I don't disagree...they have issues they need to fix....
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By gsc0527:
View Quote
Depends what kind of deals you are looking for...I found plenty of deals, actually way too many...spent more than I should have...
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#30]
After the last gun show I attended (and my first here in Texas), I remain convinced that the Internet has rendered them redundant.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
After the last gun show I attended (and my first here in Texas), I remain convinced that the Internet has rendered them redundant.
View Quote
Depends on what you are looking for...

What on this list can you easily find online....that's also not stupidly priced?

....a Jap 37x134R tank gun AP round, a German pre-WWI 37x94R HE round, which were used onboard "civilian" commerce raiders, a US Winchester made 37mm Heavy Hotchkiss revolver cannon round, a 20x110 USN round, a 20x102 plastic dummy round, a minty 20x110 USN dummy, a Jap Type 88 Artillery fuze, an early 50mm French Brandt HE mortar round (missing fuze sadly) a M4 60mm mortar sight, and a VERY nice late WWII Westinghouse paratrooper helmet liner, complete....and a .50 cal M2 muzzle gland/booster wrench.

I found all this at the show this weekend. The Jap fuze and para helmet liner were walking around. Can't believe the liner made its way all the way to me, especially at the price I got it for!
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#32]
The Safari Club show was great! There were tons of awesome guns there. I got to hold a $200,000 shotgun. The most expensive shotgun I saw was $250,000. Most of the shotgun dealers had shotguns out that were between $50,000 and $100,000. But they also had scratch & dent tables with $10,000 shotguns, for the thrifty collector. The guns at Rock Island Auctions were awesome. A $100,000 Garand, serial number 1,000,000 which had been presented to John Garand by the Secretary of the Army. There were dealers from all over the world; England, Belgium, Germany. Hunting guides from all over Africa and Asia. Some of those guys looked like real Crocodile Dundee types.

It was really, really cool. Next year I want to go back and take a day to walk through the non-firearms part. Walking through the firearms section was pretty much an all day event.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 98kGuy:

Depends on what you are looking for...

What on this list can you easily find online....that's also not stupidly priced?

....a Jap 37x134R tank gun AP round, a German pre-WWI 37x94R HE round, which were used onboard "civilian" commerce raiders, a US Winchester made 37mm Heavy Hotchkiss revolver cannon round, a 20x110 USN round, a 20x102 plastic dummy round, a minty 20x110 USN dummy, a Jap Type 88 Artillery fuze, an early 50mm French Brandt HE mortar round (missing fuze sadly) a M4 60mm mortar sight, and a VERY nice late WWII Westinghouse paratrooper helmet liner, complete....and a .50 cal M2 muzzle gland/booster wrench.

I found all this at the show this weekend. The Jap fuze and para helmet liner were walking around. Can't believe the liner made its way all the way to me, especially at the price I got it for!
View Quote
In red - this is probably right.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Lewisville & Waxahachie shows next weekend.  Lewisville is a Premier show, the smallest they hold in the Metroplex.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#35]
13-14 January
Lewisville & Waxahachie - 2 smaller shows on opposite ends of the Metroplex.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
View Quote
I've never been to the Lewisville show, but I've been to the one in Waxahachie since I live close by. The Waxahachie one should have free parking, or at least it was free the few times I've been in the past. But it's also a small show, and in the past there wasn't much to offer compared to some of the bigger shows.

Probably the biggest highlight of the Waxahachie show was getting to meet USMC Sgt. R.V. Burgin, author of Islands of the Damned, in which he gave his first-hand experience fighting and surviving in the Pacific during WWII. He had a booth set up there and signed my copy of his book. He wasn't there the last two times I went, though, so makes me wonder how he's faring considering his age.

Anyway, my guess is that the Lewisville show may be bigger and have more to offer considering the greater population in that part of the metroplex.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Equin:

I've never been to the Lewisville show, but I've been to the one in Waxahachie since I live close by. The Waxahachie one should have free parking, or at least it was free the few times I've been in the past. But it's also a small show, and in the past there wasn't much to offer compared to some of the bigger shows.

Probably the biggest highlight of the Waxahachie show was getting to meet USMC Sgt. R.V. Burgin, author of Islands of the Damned, in which he gave his first-hand experience fighting and surviving in the Pacific during WWII. He had a booth set up there and signed my copy of his book. He wasn't there the last two times I went, though, so makes me wonder how he's faring considering his age.

Anyway, my guess is that the Lewisville show may be bigger and have more to offer considering the greater population in that part of the metroplex.
View Quote
I was lucky enough to meet Sgt. Burgin, and chat a few minutes with him at the Dallas DACA show a couple of years ago. At the time, he was still pretty damned sharp. I happily bought a book, and had him sign it. Haven't seen him there since...I too hope he is ok...
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Equin:  I've never been to the Lewisville show, but I've been to the one in Waxahachie since I live close by. The Waxahachie one should have free parking, or at least it was free the few times I've been in the past. But it's also a small show, and in the past there wasn't much to offer compared to some of the bigger shows.

View Quote
Lewisville show is one of the smallest I've been to.  Don't recall I've been to the Waxahachie show before.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife might go to the Waxahachie show if I bring it up, but I just ordered ammo from PSA last night and I'm waiting for my tax check. What I really need is a decent gun safe, which is apparently like buying a mattress. I'm not seeing much difference between a $600 safe and a $900 safe. Thinking about just going to see that place in Garland.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone go to either yesterday?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RandomGuy1911A1] [#40]
I went to Lewisville with my brother in law to pick up a gun after his 4473 came back as delay at the New Year's show. It was small and nothing really was of interest to me. After the show we drove around looking at different gun stores. I ended up getting a GSG MP40 from Rifle Gear.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#41]
WT..?  I just now got this notice???

Attachment Attached File

Sorry, BackBencher.

And I get texts at times I know that people haven't texted me.

Please don't think I ignored you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I just now @'d you.  For next weekend.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:41:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Huh, I had no idea it was next weekend. I've got a little bit of cash to spare so maybe I'll run down there
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Bump for Big Town show.  Anyone going to Tyler?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't have any changes scheduled for this weekend...yet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll be there tomorrow w/ the boy.  Lunch will be @ Soulman's 1125 Gross Road just E of LBJ:

https://soulmans.com/stores/mesquite-bbq-near-me/

Steve, I'll call you in a bit and we'll backplan a time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Noon @ Soulman's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I should be head out the door soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Cool.  We'll be a bit late to Soulman's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I made it early this time.
Page / 67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top