Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2017 11:39:51 AM EDT
Our family's search for a place to move to in the next 4-5 years continues.  We have refined our search a bit to include as little as 5 acres if the area is appealing enough.  We have a 1.5 year old, with intention to have one more child in a few years, so a safe place with good schools is a priority.  

My wife grew up going to camp in Hunt, but other than the summer time when the area is swarmed with kids, we dont know much about the area.  Initial online searches show decent schools, and ok crime stats.  Crime seems to be on par with where we currently live in North Carrollton, but probably not as good a school system.

We spent about half a week in the area a couple weeks ago, and we liked that even during the week, people were out and about, whether working or shopping or what not.  Other towns we visited were ghost towns and depressing.  Fredericksburg seems to always have something going on, and Marble Falls being only a short drive away is very appealing.  We want to be able to keep to ourselves when we are at home, but being able to go into town and interact with other families would be good.  And we need year round sports for the kids.  Saw what looked like a big sports complex in Kerrville I believe, so I'm assuming sports are big there.

I have not been able to find any gun ranges over 100 yards.  I like shooting out to 1000, so something a bit longer than 100 is preferred.

Any other info that I may need to know about?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]
We like Marble Falls.
Copperhead creek shooting range is nearby don't know the yardage.
Best of the West goes out to 1,000 in Leander.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Dripping Springs with 3 boys in DSISD. Good district. Relatively low crime rate. You can live in a subdivision or on acreage and still be close to "in-town" things. Year round sports programs in the form of baseball/football/basketball/soccer/lacrosse/swimming/volleyball though DSYSA and the local YMCA. Adult sports too if you're so inclined. I'd stay West of town if you're looking. Land is a little less expensive, and you're outside of the big neighborhood traffic. No outdoor shooting ranges close by, but if you buy enough land, or know someone with enough land, you can shoot all you want.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Our family's search for a place to move to in the next 4-5 years continues.  We have refined our search a bit to include as little as 5 acres if the area is appealing enough.  We have a 1.5 year old, with intention to have one more child in a few years, so a safe place with good schools is a priority.  

My wife grew up going to camp in Hunt, but other than the summer time when the area is swarmed with kids, we dont know much about the area.  Initial online searches show decent schools, and ok crime stats.  Crime seems to be on par with where we currently live in North Carrollton, but probably not as good a school system.

We spent about half a week in the area a couple weeks ago, and we liked that even during the week, people were out and about, whether working or shopping or what not.  Other towns we visited were ghost towns and depressing.  Fredericksburg seems to always have something going on, and Marble Falls being only a short drive away is very appealing.  We want to be able to keep to ourselves when we are at home, but being able to go into town and interact with other families would be good.  And we need year round sports for the kids.  Saw what looked like a big sports complex in Kerrville I believe, so I'm assuming sports are big there.

I have not been able to find any gun ranges over 100 yards.  I like shooting out to 1000, so something a bit longer than 100 is preferred.

Any other info that I may need to know about?
View Quote

We live just outside of Kerrville.  Moved here from Hunt, where we rented for 6 months.  Kids go to Ingram Tom Moore High School.

We just moved down here from Iowa a few years ago.  When we were looking, we looked at Marble Falls,  Fredricksburg, Dripping Springs, Harper, Mt Home and Blanco as well.

We ended up just outside of Kerrville because we we looking for land/rural, but needed decent internet because I work from home as a programmer.

No real safety concerns in the area.  There are a few meth heads running around, but that is about it.

As far as the schools are concerned, Ingram Tom Moore (the high school) has really turned around in the past few years.  I can't speak for the elementary/middle school, since our kids were high school age when we moved here.  I can tell you that most of Mt Home goes to Ingram, while the rest (eat of I-10) goes to Harper (which is well regarded small school).  Hunt has its own elementary school, then they go to Ingram for middle and high school.  Kerrville and Dripping Springs both have very highly regarded school systems.

For ranges, Hill Country Shooting Sports has a 100 yard range that is open pretty much every day, and a longer (500 yard?) range that is open on the weekends.  There is a private range (Buck and Bull) in Mt Home that has 200 or so yard range.  I think the ranges at Bandera Gun Club max out at 100 yards or so. Apache Gunworks (indoor range on I-10) is about 20 minutes or so from here.

From where we are, it takes about 25 min to get to Fredricksburg and a little over 30 min to Bandera.  Between Kerrville, Fredrickburg, and Bandera (and occasionally Harper), there is pretty much always something going on - depending on your interests.  San Antonio is just under an hour away.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Mason. Kinda small, but excellent school. We also have a private school that is even better. Not much else except ranching. I could put in close to a 1000 yard range on my place. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top