Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2017 10:53:30 PM EDT
Going be in the Austin area and looking dor a shop that carries reloading components.
Mainly looking for Alliant E3 powder and .40 cal bullets.

Any recommendations of local shops?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately there is not much available in the Austin area.  McBride's at 30th & Lamar carries some reloading supplies, but they're very proud of their stuff.  Cabella's down in Buda also carries some stuff.  Not great prices either.  Most of the places I used to get stuff have either gone out of business or quit carrying reloading supplies.  Honestly, you will almost surely be better of just ordering what you need online.  Even with HAZMAT rip-off shipping prices places like Powder Valley or Natchez Shooting Supplies or even MidwayUSA are usually going to save you a bunch of money.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I was kinda afraid of that.  Pretty much like that in my area.  Very small and limited stock.  Guess there ain't no money in stocking components these days.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Dans guns HWY 21 just outsid of Bastrop.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the margins are reasonable but reloading is stomething that lends to buying components in bulk.  Local retailers can't compete with online in that.  So what few things they stock are usually pretty limited.  You might find more in a major metropolitcan area like DFW or Houston, but you might have to drive quite a ways there because those cities sprawl so much.  Also the inner parts of Austin are full of non-gun owning libtards.  While of course you'll find pockets of those inside DFW and Houston too, and the outer suburbs of the Austin area more closely reflect the rest of Texas, that does cut down on the number and size of gun businesses in Austin in general.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
We carry a pretty good selection of reloading powders and components.  Our shop is in Liberty Hill, northwest of Austin.  I'm pretty sure we have the Alliant powder you want.  Unfortunately we are closed Sunday and Monday (got to have some down time).  the name of the business is A Texas Girl's Guns.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Cedar Hill Arms has a pretty good selection of primers and powders. They have a small meet at office off 1431. Prices are pretty good.

I just order large amounts of primer and powders like 10,000 to 40,000 primers at a time. Powders I use a lot of I order 20 or more pounds at a time. So Haz-Mat fees aren't a big deal. Through the rest of the year Powder Valley has Haz-Mat fees for $19.95 an order and lately they gave had different powders on sale.

Only time I buy locally is if I want a pound or two of a powder to try out.

Bullets I order in bulk unless I want to try something new of different. Plus most places ship bullets Priority Mail since it is cheap to ship a bunch of bullets. I get pistol bullets at 3,000 to 12,000 at a time. Feel sorry for the post man that day.

The place I really miss here is Sportsman's Warehouse they had a good stock of powders, primers and bullets.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cedar Hill Arms has a pretty good selection of primers and powders. They have a small meet at office off 1431. Prices are pretty good.

I just order large amounts of primer and powders like 10,000 to 40,000 primers at a time. Powders I use a lot of I order 20 or more pounds at a time. So Haz-Mat fees aren't a big deal. Through the rest of the year Powder Valley has Haz-Mat fees for $19.95 an order and lately they gave had different powders on sale.

Bullets I order in bulk unless I want to try something new of different. Plus most places ship bullets Priority Mail since it is cheap to ship a bunch of bullets. I get pistol bullets at 3,000 to 12,000 at a time. Feel sorry for the post man that day.

The place I really miss here is Sportsman's Warehouse they had a good stock of powders, primers and bullets.
View Quote
Ditto on Sportsman's Warehouse.  It was too bad when they went out of business.  They still have a few stores in other states but that whole chain overextended itself and got into trouble due to cash flow management issues.  The first couple years that they were open they had a great selection of reloading stuff, then they started having trouble maintaining stock because their suppliers wouldn't extend them credit.  That led to reduced sales which spiralled until they cratered.

Sad thing is, I think that business should have been successful here if it had been run a little better.  Of course Gander Mountain which went into that location has also failed...  but due to different reasons.  GM was just plain stupidly overpriced on most things.  I went in there a couple times to check it out, but wasn't too impressed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ditto on Sportsman's Warehouse.  It was too bad when they went out of business.  They still have a few stores in other states but that whole chain overextended itself and got into trouble due to cash flow management issues.  The first couple years that they were open they had a great selection of reloading stuff, then they started having trouble maintaining stock because their suppliers wouldn't extend them credit.  That led to reduced sales which spiralled until they cratered.

Sad thing is, I think that business should have been successful here if it had been run a little better.  Of course Gander Mountain which went into that location has also failed...  but due to different reasons.  GM was just plain stupidly overpriced on most things.  I went in there a couple times to check it out, but wasn't too impressed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy that owned Sportsman's Warehouse built too many stores in certain areas like 3 in Phoenix alone. But what killed them is the guy and his wife got a divorce and she wanted cash only.

Gander Mountain was big time stupid with prices and customer service. I can't figure how Bass Pro stays open unless most of their money comes from boat and fishing gear sales. Bass Pro does build their own boats under the Tracker name, the plant in Central Missouri is pretty good size. I hope they don't fuck up Cabela's since they bought them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Def will have to go online for bullets.  Seem no one carrys plated.  Only jacketed and that shit gets expensive.  Absolutely no one carries coated that i know of.

Don't want to buy 4 or 8lb jugs of powder unless i know i will like it.  Still in process of some load development so 1lb cans are all i need for now.

Checking out Tuesday so def will hit some places on the way out.

Any good food trucks i should look out for?
Already have Valentinas on the radar
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Cabela's carries Berry's plated bullets. Prices are not bad and I'll buy from them in store occasionally. Extreme brand bullets are cheaper if bought online and have performed just a well for me as Berry's. It really depends on the quantity you want. If you want a few thousand, get online. Only want a box of 250, go pick it up from Cabela's. They will likely have the powder you want too. Might be a couple or $5 more than the online price.

ETA - If you're going to Valentinas then you're already on the south side of town and not too far from Cabela's
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for coming out to our shop.  we appreciate the business, and it was really nice we made a connection through ARFCOM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top