Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 10:55:19 PM EDT
My wife actually told me she wants to go camping! Being spring break it can be chilly sometimes so do you guys think west TX might be warmer? I only have 7 days. I have not been to the Davis mountains or Big Bend yet. I have been to Palo Duro. I need to reserve a spot now if I stay at a state park before they fill up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the camping. Like Tent and stuff than anywhere. Big Bend would be nice and is so far south wouldn't get cold. If motor home or camper of some sort make sure they have full hookups. Some in Big Bend do not and you can only run a generator during certain hours to charge the batteries.

Now having been to Palo Duro plenty weather is iffy that time a year. Might be nice might be cold or could be rainy. Would be cold or cool at night yet day would be nice. Really depends on where you live in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for you OP. My wiff's idea of camping is sitting around the fire pit on the roof of a down town hotel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Colorado Bend state park is nice that time of year.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Big Bend for sure if you have never been there. I would recommend reserving a campsite soon if you decide to go that route.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't been to Ft. Davis in 25 years, but it is beautiful! Another alternative is Caprock Canyon State Park. We loved it when we went in 2011. Of course, there's always places like Enchanted Rock & Lost Maples as well. Hueco Tanks might be kinda cool too. Too many places and never enough free time to explore them!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
How active are the two of you?

Guadalupe peak is a fun place but the trail is a hard walk.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
How about Caprock Canyon SP in the panhandle?  Except for the occasional spring thunderstorm, it should be nice weather.  They also usually don't get that busy for spring break
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want to camp, pitch a tent on SPI, right on the beach
Very low cost. Daily park entry fees only count if you drive past the shack during the day. 

There are crapper/showers not too far away

No electricity/water/facilities (except as mentioned above)
Definitely BYOE (Bring your own everything)

Beautiful view (especially during Spring Break)
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about Caprock Canyon SP in the panhandle?  Except for the occasional spring thunderstorm, it should be nice weather.  They also usually don't get that busy for spring break
View Quote
It can be really cold at Caprock Canyons in Mid March.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I haven't been to Ft. Davis in 25 years, but it is beautiful! Another alternative is Caprock Canyon State Park. We loved it when we went in 2011. Of course, there's always places like Enchanted Rock & Lost Maples as well. Hueco Tanks might be kinda cool too. Too many places and never enough free time to explore them!!!
View Quote
I love the Caprock!!    Spent two weeks there in my mid twenties camping under the stars.  No tent, just a cot and a sleeping bag.

Just wanted to see if I could rough it.

One of the best memories of my life.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I love the Caprock!!    Spent two weeks there in my mid twenties camping under the stars.  No tent, just a cot and a sleeping bag.

View Quote
Guess I call it what it used to be when we went or depends what side of it you go to. Great place pretty much grew up there in the summers.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#12]
OP:  how many people do you want around you during your Spring Break trip? 

If you don't want people, at all, anywhere near you, just miles of trails and desert, then may I suggest Big Bend Ranch State Park.  It's 20-ish miles of caliche road just to get to the park HQ, and once you get in the park it's entirely possible that you and the missus will be the only people for 5 miles an any direction.  It's BYOE, but quite a few of the campsites have a pit toilet.  Also bring a truck or SUV, preferably, 4x4, and make sure you have a spare tire or two. 

It may be chilly there in March, especially at night.  But that'd be the case anywhere in W. Texas.  Mid-May is the best time to go IMO.  the weather is good, you're not quite at the point of wishing for the sweet release of death to take you from the afternoon heat, and the cactus flowers are blooming 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
How did you "hang" your food when you were there?

I'm thinking about going for a few nights, but it doesn't look like normal techniques for hanging a food bag would work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top