Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2010 3:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 7:34:04 PM EDT by rwheet]
First of all hello too all of you in free country. My name is Robert and I live in Illinois and want to move to the free state of Texas. My question is this I am applying for jobs over the Internet and while i was in the Austin area back in April. I was told by one place, GT distributors that the only reason I never got a call back was because I was out of state. So are there any employers in the Austin area or any where that would take me serious. Just too give you a little back ground I am a Glock armorer I build my Ar's and am a guard/driver for Loomis a armored company. I have a friend who lives in Lexington so I have a place to stay so relocating would not be a big deal. Any feed back would be great thanks for you time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:23:18 PM EDT
Where's that Texas thread that was posted in GD a few weeks ago?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:09:38 PM EDT
Get a cell phone with a local number for the area you are applying.

Get a friend to receive your mail and list you as a renter. Or rent a box from mailboxes etc. type place.

You will need to be available, like right away. So that becomes a possible issue.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:57:33 PM EDT
We are all full right now. Check back in about a year
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:18:18 PM EDT
My first suggestion is to learn to spell correctly and use proper grammar. I hope your online resume or applications aren't that bad. If so, I would say that is why you did not receive and responses.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:39:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
My first suggestion is to learn to spell correctly and use proper grammar. I hope your online resume or applications aren't that bad. If so, I would say that is why you did not receive and responses.

Post edited after I looked it over again I saw how jacked up it was. I take more time when I post resumes and fill out apps. Thanks for making me take a second look at my work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:59:49 PM EDT
IL to Austin don't sound like much of a free change.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:32:24 PM EDT
First question: With or without beans?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:38:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 9:52:56 PM EDT by HBruns]
Originally Posted By rwheet:

Post edited after I looked it over again I saw how jacked up it was. I take more time when I post resumes and fill out apps. Thanks for making me take a second look at my work.

Still jacked.

First of all hello too to all of you in free country. My name is Robert and I live in Illinois and want to move to the free state of Texas. My question is this; I am applying for jobs over the Internet and [also] while i I was in the Austin area back in April. I was told by one place, GT distributors, that the only reason I never got received a call back was because I was out of state. So a Are there any employers in the Austin area or any where anywhere that would take me seriously.? Just too to give you a little back ground background, I am a Glock armorer, I build my Ar's ARs and am a guard/driver for Loomis, an armored car company. I have a friend who lives in Lexington so I have a place to stay. so r Relocating would not be a big deal. Any feed back would be great, thanks for your time.

See if this reads any better -
First of all, hello to everyone in the free state of Texas!

My name is Robert and I want to move from Illinois to Texas. Last April I was in the Austin area and applied for several positions then. Since then I have been applying for jobs via the Internet.

One possible employer, GT Distributors, let me know the only reason they did not contact me for a follow-up interview was because I lived out of state.

My question is will any employers take me seriously?

Just to give a little background:
- I am a Glock armorer
- I build my own ARs
- I currently work as a guard/driver for Loomis, an armored car company

A friend in Lexington is willing to put me up for a while, so relocating would be easy.

I'd sure appreciate any feedback or help.
Thanks in advance for your time!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:50:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DarkCloudM4:
IL to Austin don't sound like much of a free change.

He's going for a GRADUAL change, rather than total immersion.

In all seriousness, the OP might consider broadening his list of cites for potential relocation beyond Austin. There are a LOT of great areas to live in the state - and only a very small fraction of them are anywhere near Austin.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:55:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HBruns:

Still jacked.

First of all hello too to all of you in free country. My name is Robert and I live in Illinois and want to move to the free state of Texas. My question is this; I am applying for jobs over the Internet and [also] while i I was in the Austin area back in April. I was told by one place, GT distributors, that the only reason I never got received a call back was because I was out of state. So a Are there any employers in the Austin area or any where anywhere that would take me seriously.? Just too to give you a little back ground background, I am a Glock armorer, I build my Ar's ARs and am a guard/driver for Loomis, an armored car company. I have a friend who lives in Lexington so I have a place to stay. so r Relocating would not be a big deal. Any feed back would be great, thanks for your time.

My name is Robert and I want to move from Illinois to Texas. Last April I was in the Austin area and applied for several positions then. Since then I have been applying for jobs via the Internet.

One possible employer, GT Distributors, let me know the only reason they did not contact me for a follow-up interview was because I lived out of state.

- I am a Glock armorer
- I build my own ARs

A friend in Lexington is willing to put me up for a while, so relocating would be easy.

and dont worry, not all Texans are rude and uptight. Most of us can have a conversation without stopping you mid-sentence to correct your grammer. Please dont let this guy turn you away from our state. We could use more patient guys like you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:20:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hkusp9:
Originally Posted By HBruns:

Still jacked.

- I am a Glock armorer
- I build my own ARs

and dont worry, not all Texans are rude and uptight. Most of us can have a conversation without stopping you mid-sentence to correct your grammer. Please dont let this guy turn you away from our state. We could use more patient guys like you.

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable with:
"Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it".
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:19:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 6:23:26 AM EDT by Catman2]
Austin's a liberal freak show unless you want to live in a Sanctuary City where the the city counsel boycotted Arizona for trying to enforce immigration laws, even though Austin itself is a major distribution hub for the Mexican drug cartels. It's a place where women recently held a topless rally just blocks from the capital while their husbands wore their bras and underwear. So Austin cutsie...If you want to go where men are men and women aren't I'd try San Antonio.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:24:14 AM EDT
Wait, aren't we full?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:35:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRocketmac:
Wait, aren't we full?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:27:42 AM EDT
Do not take this the wrong way but stay where you are and work to make it better. Come visit all you want but please do not move here.

We are a kind polite people but our way of life here is being threatened by so many new people from states that do not understand that Texas has a culture of its' own - we cannot help but be a little
apprehensive about someone moving here from the likes of Illinois.

We are running out of water, land and the roads are congested with new comers who do not care to assimilate.
I see more Illinois plates than any other state -
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:33:08 AM EDT
It seems you have much better English teachers as well. I get the message some of you are trying too get across.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:58:03 AM EDT
if you have a liberal progressive girlfriend, wife, sister, brother,1st or 2nd cousin, mother, father, and collective in-laws..

YOU are not allowed to bring any of them here..conservatives are hanging on by a hair here and we cant afford a single additional vote, Austin, Houston, san antonio and Dallas have turned blue or Purple and enough it enough..
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:01:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BigRedDog:
Get a cell phone with a local number for the area you are applying.

Get a friend to receive your mail and list you as a renter. Or rent a box from mailboxes etc. type place.

You will need to be available, like right away. So that becomes a possible issue.

This is great feedback. I just relocated to Austin from Wisconsin in June. I had an Austin mailing address on my resume and simply said I was currently working in Milwaukee but available to fly down for interviews. The majority of employers would not bother looking at out of state candidates and even not being able for interviews within 24 hours cost me some jobs.

The advice on your grammar is good as well. There are many potential employers and people that could refer you to jobs on this website especially considering your skills this being a gun website and all. Having your first post on the Texas forum contain many basic grammatical errors could potentially turn people off if they believe it's a sign of your education.

For those you Texans that have never been to Illinois or Wisconsin, even Austin is a world of difference when it comes to gun laws. IL and WI don't have the shooting culture like in TX and do NOT have concealed carry much less castle laws that allow you to carry in your vehicle. Try finding a 3 gun match within 3 hours of Milwaukee or Chicago. Also try finding an indoor range in those areas that will allow rifles (and not require you to buy frangible rounds for $1 each). Don't forget WI and IL are covered in snow from Dec-March so indoor is very important. I'm in NW Austin and have IPDA and 3 gun matches I can attend pretty much every weekend.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:02:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sweatpants:

Originally Posted By TheRocketmac:
Wait, aren't we full?

They were talking about Nebraska over in GD.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:08:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 10:08:57 AM EDT by TheRocketmac]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
if you have a liberal progressive girlfriend, wife, sister, brother,1st or 2nd cousin, mother, father, and collective in-laws..

YOU are not allowed to bring any of them here..conservatives are hanging on by a hair here and we cant afford a single additional vote, Austin, Houston, san antonio and Dallas have turned blue or Purple and enough it enough..

Indeed.

This is why there are only 2 (well 4 technically) out of 15 people on my wife's side that are ever allowed to come visit down here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:10:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 10:10:26 AM EDT by TheRocketmac]
woah
Top Top