Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2010 12:05:51 PM EDT
From Sheldon today:

Hey Shooters,

This Sunday we’re hosting a 3gun match at the Best of the West Shooting Range in Liberty Hill. 5 Stages with an approximate round count as follows: Rifle 100, Pistol 60, Birdshot(no steel shot) 40. Setup and practice begin on Saturday at about 3pm and resumes Sunday morning at 8am. Signup for the match begins at 9am and the shooting starts at 10am sharp. Come out and join us, it’s going to be a great match. We were originally scheduled to have a precision rifle match however we are still working on some long range targets required for the match. Precision rifle matches will resume in November.

www.texasshootingrange.com

http://www.texasmultigun.com/

Hope to see you there.

Lee

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:37:59 PM EDT
I'll be there!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:29:24 PM EDT
Bad as I want to go, I'll be in church sunday morning. Ya'll have fun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:41:10 PM EDT
:-(

I will be dove hunting
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:02:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
:-(

I will be dove hunting

A 3rd Sunday match is still scheduled, maybe then.

Lee

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:08:13 AM EDT
Looking forward to Sunday. Any ideas what the precision rifle match format is going to be?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:33:55 AM EDT
I'll be there. I'm not sure about the precision match. I'd guess some sort of benchrest type format for the long range stuff? I can't see it being terribly tactical. I imagine there might be some ranging and unknown distance stuff as well...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:05:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:
Looking forward to Sunday. Any ideas what the precision rifle match format is going to be?

From http://www.texasmultigun.com/:

1st Sundays of the Month, Precision Rifle—What you’ll need to compete: Precision rifle, bolt action or semiautomatic with capability of engaging targets out to 750 yards. Typical round count for rifle will be 20-30 rounds, no armor piercing ammunition. Pistol round counts will range from 50-75 rounds and must be 9mm or larger. Stages will require weapon transitions and precise shots on various targets. Targets will consist of paper and steel. Eye and ear protection are required. Holster must cover the triggerguard and cannot be a shoulder or crossdraw type. Magazine pouches are ideal for both weapons. USPSA safety rules will apply.

For anymore info, contact Sheldon from the link.

Remember this weekend will be 3gun, not Precision Rifle (kindof the point of this topic).

Lee

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:39:36 PM EDT
I will be there, barring anything unforeseen.

1st 3 gun match, I have a lot to learn.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:13:26 AM EDT
I will be at Sunday's 3 gun match. Wonder what it will be like shooting a match when the temp isn't 106 degrees??????
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:50:30 AM EDT
It will be 10 degrees cooler than the last one, but more humid, so still bring plenty hydration. The range will sell water, but what I bring is free. They have sold some kind of BBQ, wraps or something, also.

Originally Posted By biga9999:
I will be there, barring anything unforeseen.

1st 3 gun match, I have a lot to learn.

The Texas Multigun link above has some equipment suggestions. If you are short something, ask.

Lee
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:55:19 AM EDT
Getting ready to start my first 3gun event.

Wish me luck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:49:50 PM EDT
Give us an after action report.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:13:35 PM EDT
I had a blast.

I was put in a great squad. Learned quite a bit, including how much I need to practice with pistol and rifle at distances. I had a couple respectable stages, and a few where the wheels fell off.

I had a blast and did not get DQ'd, so going to call it a win.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:59:23 PM EDT
Match was a blast. Stayed fairly cool which is always a positive for a newly minted Texan like myself. I was in the general group as well. Biga9999, you must have been in my group. I was wearing a white shirt driving the silver Ram. Before the match got a chance to meet topgunpilot20 and his better half. Nice guy and he had his video camera there so I'm sure he'll be along with pics.

5 stages. Rifle shots between 1 yard and 125 yards. (Yes, I did say 1 yard!!!) Went through 35 rounds on one stage after missing the 4" flasher at 100 yards but should have been less than 30 rounds. Shotgun stages had a max of 12 or 13 rounds. The toughest handgun part was a plate rack fairly far away. Several guys burned through over 20 rounds trying to hit the 6 plates.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:03:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 2:12:52 PM EDT by topgunpilot20]
Good match, but unfortunately the long distance range was unavailable due to a scheduling conflict. The match director said he'd make up for it by having targets out to 750 yards next time. Here's a match vid:

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:23:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 5:26:18 PM EDT by biga9999]
Possible. I was the 6'7" guy in a green t-shirt and Spikes Patch/hat.

I won't say how many rounds I went through on that plate rack, but it was more than 20. I also am not used to shooting bent over like that, I had to bend way down to get through that port. Next time I am out there, I am going to put some time into the plate rack.

The 1 yd shot was the best, especially the guys shooting .308s, that mud was flying high.

When do the results usually go out? Will it be with the txipsc-digest?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:37:22 PM EDT
You must have been in the other group. 6'7" I would have remembered!

The results will be emailed out on the TXISPC distribution list usually within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:26:39 PM EDT
Possible. I was the 6'7" guy in a green t-shirt and Spikes Patch/hat.

I won't say how many rounds I went through on that plate rack, but it was more than 20. I also am not used to shooting bent over like that, I had to bend way down to get through that port. Next time I am out there, I am going to put some time into the plate rack.

The 1 yd shot was the best, especially the guys shooting .308s, that mud was flying high.

When do the results usually go out? Will it be with the txipsc-digest?

I think you were on my squad, with all the cops... You had the ACU warbelt, ya? I was the HK guy. You shot a good match. That plate rack was a challenge! I love the shotgun flippers ... nothing like some good aerial targets!

Doc
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:14:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 3:17:38 AM EDT by biga9999]
Thanks Doc. The flippers were fun. I have shot some skeet and trap in the past, so that part was like old times.

The rack was humbling, but it reinforced one thing, of many, I need to work on.

Can't wait to do it again.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:46:18 AM EDT
The plate rack is always out there and usually available. I rented one of the tactical bays 2 weeks ago and spent the entire time practicing the plates. Of course Sheldon had to back them up a lot farther than last time!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:15:29 AM EDT
Last time I was out there we were going to practice with the plate rack, but there were some skeet/trap shooters on the fields and we were getting peppered like crazy.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:57:01 AM EDT
Last time I was out there we were going to practice with the plate rack, but there were some skeet/trap shooters on the fields and we were getting peppered like crazy.

There has been talk of doing something about that; not sure if there was a conclusion.

I think this was the first time there were aerial clays and I broke them all, and with a 20" cylinder bore. The flippers did let them hang a bit. Of course, the good shooters got them on the way up. I waited for the apex.

First time I shot my LR308 at a rifle match. I guess it was ok. Pretty sure I was 2nd in the division...which had 2 shooters.

Thanks to all who came out. Next 3gun at BOTW is 9/19.

Lee

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lmccrock:

There has been talk of doing something about that; not sure if there was a conclusion.

They put up a large, billboard-type wall between the shotgun and rifle ranges.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:49:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lmccrock:

They put up a large, billboard-type wall between the shotgun and rifle ranges.

The one that is in place need to be enlarged. There is a gap at the bottom that allows the rifle benches to get peppered pretty badly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:53:01 AM EDT
Just got the results via email. Drop me an IM with your email address if you need them.

From Topgunpilot's video, anyone remember the stage numbering? Trying to remember which stage is which on the scoresheet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:18:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 2:22:55 PM EDT by Fullauto_Shooter]
Originally Posted By WIDeerHunter:
Just got the results via email. Drop me an IM with your email address if you need them.

From Topgunpilot's video, anyone remember the stage numbering? Trying to remember which stage is which on the scoresheet.

I was on his squad, we shot stages in the following order:
5, 2, 1, 3, 4.

BUT his video is sequenced: 2, 1, 3, 4, 5.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:34:44 PM EDT
Stage 1 was the south west bay ... the first to your left as you drove in to the bay area. It then went 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in a clockwise manner.

They need to do something about the shotgun bay. I got hit with shot on stage 5 as I stood next to the cars buying a sausage wrap.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 8:07:44 PM EDT by topgunpilot20]

I'm pretty sure the video is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. FA_Shooter is right––the video sequence it 2, 1, 3, 4, 5.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:50:38 PM EDT

I'm pretty sure the video is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

The sequencing on your video is 2, 1, 3, 4, 5. Remember, when we finished stage 5 (the first stage we shot) we went to stage 1 but had to skip forward to stage 2 because of the backup with the squad in front of us. The first stage shown on your video is definitely stage 2 (8 pistol targets plus 4 mini-poppers / transition to rifle) - after this stage, we moved back to stage 1 where we shot the 3 x flying clays.

My memory of the sequencing is crystal clear because I absolutely blew the first two stages we shot (stage 5 and stage 2). However, I kept my head in the game and ended up winning the next three stages (1, 3, 4), but still came in second overall due to my mental errors on 5 and 2. Oh well, there's always next time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:05:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fullauto_Shooter:

I'm pretty sure the video is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

The sequencing on your video is 2, 1, 3, 4, 5. Remember, when we finished stage 5 (the first stage we shot) we went to stage 1 but had to skip forward to stage 2 because of the backup with the squad in front of us. The first stage shown on your video is definitely stage 2 (8 pistol targets plus 4 mini-poppers / transition to rifle) - after this stage, we moved back to stage 1 where we shot the 3 x flying clays.

My memory of the sequencing is crystal clear because I absolutely blew the first two stages we shot (stage 5 and stage 2). However, I kept my head in the game and ended up winning the next three stages (1, 3, 4), but still came in second overall due to my mental errors on 5 and 2. Oh well, there's always next time.

You're right. I forgot that we skipped a stage and came back to it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:15:23 AM EDT
I was on the squad with the video. We had a great time, very challenging. Not a big problem with the plate rack, I practice my pistol shots at 20-25 yards figuring if I can hit at that distance, anything closer is a breeze. I did struggle shooting the long range off the barrels and the card table. I could not get a good-stable rest. I need to work on that. The small silhouette target with the flasher inside was particularily challenging. Shooting it twice along with the flashers was interesting and I made sure I donated a lot of lead to that particular stage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:28:27 AM EDT

Good match, but unfortunately the long distance range was unavailable due to a scheduling conflict. The match director said he'd make up for it by having targets out to 750 yards next time. Here's a match vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrgP8aKEuu8

Outstanding shooting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:34:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 11:36:00 AM EDT by topgunpilot20]

Originally Posted By gerritm:
I was on the squad with the video. We had a great time, very challenging. Not a big problem with the plate rack, I practice my pistol shots at 20-25 yards figuring if I can hit at that distance, anything closer is a breeze. I did struggle shooting the long range off the barrels and the card table. I could not get a good-stable rest. I need to work on that. The small silhouette target with the flasher inside was particularily challenging. Shooting it twice along with the flashers was interesting and I made sure I donated a lot of lead to that particular stage.

No joke. I learned real quick on the first set of flashers that using the magazine as a monopod in anything but the prone position was very unstable. I rested the handguard on the barrel/table for the rest of the match, and it made a huge difference. Thankfully, I had a rifle length handguard.

Outstanding shooting.

Thanks. I placed 6th overall. We had some very fast shooters.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 12:53:41 PM EDT by WIDeerHunter]

No joke. I learned real quick on the first set of flashers that using the magazine as a monopod in anything but the prone position was very unstable. I rested the handguard on the barrel/table for the rest of the match, and it made a huge difference. Thankfully, I had a rifle length handguard.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']

Same here. I have a Tango Down vertical grip on mine. That combined with the pulls on my mags did not make for a steady rest on the table. I built my AR for a zombie gun (no 3 gun in my previous area of WI so I was just looking for a tacticool toy) but now that I'm in Texas I need to rethink my setup since I'm planning on shooting a lot more matches.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:13:36 PM EDT

Outstanding shooting.

Jonathan,
You shot exeptionally well and should be very proud of yourself. Four of the guys who finished ahead of you have been competing seriously for years and three of us (me included) are certified 3-Gun fanatics. Not sure how long you've been playing the 3-Gun game, but you bring some very good skills to the table. With more match experience and practice, you've got the raw ability to really excel.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:52:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fullauto_Shooter:

Outstanding shooting.

Jonathan,
You shot exeptionally well and should be very proud of yourself. Four of the guys who finished ahead of you have been competing seriously for years and three of us (me included) are certified 3-Gun fanatics. Not sure how long you've been playing the 3-Gun game, but you bring some very good skills to the table. With more match experience and practice, you've got the raw ability to really excel.

Thank you for the encouragement. I've been shooting the local IPSC and IDPA matches for a few years, but I've only been to a handful of 3-gun matches. The Larue 3-Gun match a couple years ago is the only big match I've ever been to. I'm really glad that Sheldon is holding 3-gun matches at BOTW and look forward to the future ones.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:05:25 AM EDT
Need some gear help.

I ordered one of these because it was $8, and with my gorilla arms having my pistol a little lower helps out, plus makes more room for some shell holders on the belt.

The problem is the upper thigh leg strap is a little too tight.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some strap material and the rounded clips?

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:55:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 6:56:06 AM EDT by WIDeerHunter]
Sorry, can't help with fixing it. Not sure if you are planning on shooting the Larue match in April but based on last year's rules, you can't use a thigh rig:
7. Holsters and Equipment
7.1 Handgun holsters and equipment
7.1.1 Any holster, which will safely retain the handgun during vigorous
movement, is allowed.
7.1.2 The holster material must completely cover the trigger on all
semiautomatic pistols. Revolver holsters must completely cover the trigger
and the cylinder.
7.1.3 The belt upon which the holster and magazine/speed loader pouches
are attached must be worn at waist level.

7.1.4 Female competitors may wear their belt at hip level providing the belt is
in belt loops sewn on the pants.
7.1.5 Due to safety concerns shoulder holsters are disallowed.
7.1.6 Cross draw, LBE/Vest Mounted holsters will be judged on an individual
basis by the Range Master. The concern is not to violate the 180-degree
rule. (See Rule 2.4)
7.1.7 Tactical Vest, Molle Vest, LBE, Belt Dump Bag may be utilized to carry
magazines.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:59:18 AM EDT
Thanks for the info, but I was not planning on shooting the LaRue match.

Just looking to do some local matches for now, mostly for fun and personal training.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:51:38 AM EDT

Sorry, can't help with fixing it. Not sure if you are planning on shooting the Larue match in April but based on last year's rules, you can't use a thigh rig:
7. Holsters and Equipment
7.1 Handgun holsters and equipment
7.1.1 Any holster, which will safely retain the handgun during vigorous
movement, is allowed.
7.1.2 The holster material must completely cover the trigger on all
semiautomatic pistols. Revolver holsters must completely cover the trigger
and the cylinder.
7.1.3 The belt upon which the holster and magazine/speed loader pouches
are attached must be worn at waist level.

7.1.4 Female competitors may wear their belt at hip level providing the belt is
in belt loops sewn on the pants.
7.1.5 Due to safety concerns shoulder holsters are disallowed.
7.1.6 Cross draw, LBE/Vest Mounted holsters will be judged on an individual
basis by the Range Master. The concern is not to violate the 180-degree
rule. (See Rule 2.4)
7.1.7 Tactical Vest, Molle Vest, LBE, Belt Dump Bag may be utilized to carry
magazines.

I wore a thigh rig at LaRue last year, as did many. The BELT was at waist level - it doesn't say the holster must be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:53:57 AM EDT
I was thinking the same thing. The belt the holster is attached to is at waist level.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:04:09 AM EDT
That's interesting. I actually was suprised to see this rule (which I interpreted to be the holster and mag carriers must also be on the belt) since most 3 gun match rule books specifically allow drop leg holsters and mag carriers. I have a bladetech 3 mag drop leg carrier but didn't think I could use it.

Thanks for the info!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:06:11 PM EDT
You might contact Sheldon at his email on http://texasmultigun.com/ to ask about specific rules. I am guessing drop leg would be ok, at least for the local matches. Crossdraw and shoulder rigs are not ok since it is very difficult to not sweep people behind you.

Lee
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:58:54 PM EDT
As Sheldon's Deputy Match Director for the LaRue next year I can tell you that your drop leg holster will be fine as long as it securely holds the pistol and covers the trigger guard.

Any strong side holster that meets those requirements will be fine. No cross draw or vest mounted holsters.

Looks like the competition is getting pretty heated...I will have to make sure I am on top of my game for the next match.

Top Top