Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:32:29 AM EDT
I recently visited a building that had a sign on the front door of what I believed to be a psuedo state-agency function with some subcontractors working for the state.  The sign out front indicated weapons (handguns) were prohibited under section 411.203 of the government code.  That reads:

§ 411.203[0]. RIGHTS OF EMPLOYERS.  This subchapter does not
prevent or otherwise limit the right of a public or private employer
to prohibit persons who are licensed under this subchapter from
carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of the business.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, § 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1,

There was NO 3006 sign present.  Only one sign referencing text to the effect of Texas Government Alliance or something like that.

Would it be legal to carry in this facility since it did NOT have the 3006 sign posted.  The above 411.203 indicates the right of the employer to deny access for CHL holders, but wouldn't it also have to have the 3006 sign as part of the requirement?

Building was in Austin at 35/Ben White (Southpark Bldg?) and houses the "One-Stop-Shopping" for all social services project lead by Accenture as primary consulting firm and Maximum as a secondary firm.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
"wouldn't it also have to have the 3006 sign as part of the requirement?"

Yes.  If it's not 30.06 or a 51% sign, it doesn't mean much.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're an employee, your employer can restrict your right to carry within their facility, even without the 30.06 notice.  ETA:  What this means is that you're not protected by the 30.06 requirement here.  As far as I know, violating your employer's policies will not consitute a criminal offence, but they would be free to shit-can you.

If you're a visitor, and they have a sign referencing 411.203, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you're an employee, your employer can restrict your right to carry within their facility, even without the 30.06 notice.  ETA:  What this means is that you're not protected by the 30.06 requirement here.  As far as I know, violating your employer's policies will not consitute a criminal offence, but they would be free to shit-can you.

If you're a visitor, and they have a sign referencing 411.203, you're good to go.

but then Texas is a shall work state so they can let you go "for no reason".
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1 on that.

Go for it, if you don't work there
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not am employee of any of the tennants so that fills in a bit more of the puzzle....

OK, so in summary...

If it doesn't have the 3006 sign or is not a prohibited place listed by the Penal Code, I'm good to carry in the facility.  The reference to the Government Code is simply an Employers statement and even at that wouldn't carry any criminal offense.  Just a terminatin if I were an employee.  

Did I get that right?

Thx-

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Did I get that right?

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
www.texaschlforum.com

I think you might find the answers you are looking for here. Take care and good luck!
   Jason
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top