Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/9/2006 8:31:24 PM EDT
Here's their Website: FWSSC

A buddy of mine sent me the link, and it looks REALLY nice! I've never "stretched" out that far (up to 1000yd range), but I'd sure LIKE to!

They have a BUNCH of matches on the calendar, and we're thinking of getting out there for one of 'em.

Anyone ever shot out there? What's the scoop?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:40:22 PM EDT
I've shot several highpower across the course and long range matches out there. Beautiful range but the humidity is a killer for me since I live in Lubbock. Seems to be a good bunch of guys that I have shot with in the past.

Every spring they have a long range school that lasts for 2 days and I learned a lot there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:34:19 AM EDT
Damn!! I grew up in Mineral Wells. I wish that had been operating when I was younger. Wolters closed in about '74 I think and was used at a National Guard/Reserve training area after that. Actually, I think it still is, but I may be wrong.

Very interesting place. Lots of places for teenagers to prowl/explore on an abandoned army post I'm assuming this is the old army range on the north side of the main ring?? A little east what used to be the main helipad??
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:47:08 AM EDT
The scoop is it is a nice range with a small number of shooters and is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:56:00 AM EDT
I shoot there fairly often, so do FALARAK and Frisco. Still trying to get Mojo & TxLewis & SigZiggy to come along. I have a lot of other shooting friends who also shoot there, but none of them are on AR15.com.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:08:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hrt4me:
I shoot there fairly often, so do FALARAK and Frisco. Still trying to get Mojo & TxLewis & SigZiggy to come along. I have a lot of other shooting friends who also shoot there, but none of them are on AR15.com.

This range is REALLY enticing for a buddy of mine, who is into the Long-Range scene. I'm an "up close and personal" shooter, and no longer have a rifle suited for this range (I sold my Springfield M21, cause I never shot it.)

All I've got is a 20" gov't profile 1/9 Bushmaster for service rifle, and my only scoped rifle is a 16" AR with free float handguard. Neither could take me out past, what, 500yds?

I saw that they had different matches, and a couple looked like they were within 500yds. Is this true? Do you think I could have a good time with what I've got? I know I won't be a serious competitor, but that's ok with me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:17:03 PM EDT
I shoot the rec league, when I can make it out there.

You should come to one for the 300-600-900 distances, and just shoot the 300/600 legs. It will be fun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:02:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
I shoot the rec league, when I can make it out there.

You should come to one for the 300-600-900 distances, and just shoot the 300/600 legs. It will be fun.

When my buddy gets to the Metroplex sometime around June, we'll plan to come out for a shoot. I'll have to get out of work for it, so I won't be able to make it a regular thing. That's one thing that sucks about shift-work... Oh well.
Top Top