Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:22:27 AM EDT
All right,
I am a regular working class joe that have a new job but got a few concerns and would like to hear some opinions and/or recommendations.
At the workplace, we have noticed a few discrepancies and the employees are thinking to start an Union. The tricky part is that the company does not support/want unions and the last time a group was trying to start one, the company fired them. I know this is an At Will state but doesn't this clash with the "National Labor Relations Act of 1935" that makes it illegal to fire someone because trying to take part in an Union?
I am going to do some more research and maybe call some lawers for more information but for now what are you guys opinion on this matter?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:22:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Nosmik:
All right,
I am a regular working class joe that have a new job but got a few concerns and would like to hear some opinions and/or recommendations.
At the workplace, we have noticed a few discrepancies and the employees are thinking to start an Union. The tricky part is that the company does not support/want unions and the last time a group was trying to start one, the company fired them. I know this is an At Will state but doesn't this clash with the "National Labor Relations Act of 1935" that makes it illegal to fire someone because trying to take part in an Union?
I am going to do some more research and maybe call some lawers for more information but for now what are you guys opinion on this matter?

Depends upon how they got fired. Wal-Mart does not fire employees who try to unionize, They shut down the store, and the layoff the workers since there is no store.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:31:26 AM EDT
Bottom line, Texas is not a Union state (take that how you want).

If you have an employment contract (and you probably have one even if you don't know it), check for the phrase "terminated with or without reason".

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:38:36 AM EDT
Texas is not a Union-friendly state.
While firing someone for trying to start a Union might be illegal, they will just make something up and fire you for something else.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:55:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 11:56:11 AM EDT by RenegadeX]

Texas is not a Union/friendly state.

?

Texas is certainly union friendly, and is probably one of the top 5 union states. Thousands of GM workers, Police, Firefighters, AA/SWA/Continental pilots/FA/Baggage/Mechanics, ATC, migrants, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:37:43 PM EDT
So they can throw the "At Will" doctrine just for anything? That still doesn't sound right.
All the former employees were fired for that reason, because trying to unionize. It is a big company so no shut downs down the road.
You think it would be a case for a lawer?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:42:50 PM EDT
I believe once the union is in the workplace they are there to stay...
The main goal is to get in the door of the company..
If you get fired because of it, then so be it.
OTOH just to be jerk once I called the local union folks and told them there were several people interested in joining up at my old company.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:44:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By webtaz99:
Bottom line, Texas is not a Union state (take that how you want).

If you have an employment contract (and you probably have one even if you don't know it), check for the phrase "terminated with or without reason".

Yup, and Nosmik, if you aren't careful, you are gonna end up with too many "points" for talking bad about your employer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:40:13 AM EDT
Purple,
It's all right. I'll burn the place up if they do something, LOL!

I see you are peeking through my window again according to your new sig line....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:00:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Nosmik:
Purple,
It's all right. I'll burn the place up if they do something, LOL!

I see you are peeking through my window again according to your new sig line....

Put some damn blinds in your place!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:43:03 PM EDT
Allright purple don't hijack the thread.
Top Top