Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 7:37:57 PM EDT
Is the Monarch brand ammo at Academy just WOLF in a different box?

Or is it a completely different brand?

The cartridges definately look like WOLF.

Just curious.

Oh, and on a side note, which one of you guys is the one buying up all the .223 ammo at the Academy in Austin down at Highway 71 and Brodie Ln?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
monarch is not wolf.  The brass cased crap is Academy's brand.  I personally have never shot that crap through my ARs though and I worked there for a while.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Monarch=Barnaul (at least the 7.62x39 is)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot that crap. It worked no problems.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
it is diffrent stuff  but it is about the same quality as wolf

good blasting stuff but your not going to get good groups with it

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I burned through about 80 rounds of it, had one ftf, the firing pin struck it normal and it didnt go off. Cheap shit but I guess alright to tear through real fast.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot through 200 rounds of it a couple of weeks back with no problems.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I've shot a ton of that stuff.  Goes bang every time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
The Barnaul 7.62x39 is the best out there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
300 rounds form an M16.  No problems.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]
It's kind of funny.

Barnaul (Monarch) .223 gives problems in some AR's, my friend's Colt Match Target being one of them, not the most accurate when compared to WWB, but in the AK world, barnaul 5.45x39 is not only the most sought after, it's known to keep the tightest groups.  Silver Bear is made by the same company, barnaul and it's also much more accurate than wolf 5.45x39.  

From what I've read barnaul has nothing to do with Wolf.

and as Schulze said, the moarch/barnaul 7.62x39 is the best out there for the price and accuracy.

Shoot it out of a new yugo SKS then shoot some wolf and you'll notice the difference.

oh, and it's currently the same company and factory that churn out Russian military steel core rounds.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies!

I was just curious because they looked similar.

And I wasn't asking because I was trying to decide whether or not to use it. I have put only this through my AR with only 1 failure in about 100 rounds. My AR is a range toy and I can admit that so my life doesn't depend on it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#12]
As  cheap as this stuff is, I've considered buying some for miscellaneous rabbit chasing and paper punching.  I might run a couple of mags of this stuff through the pipe and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have run hundreds of rounds of the stuff through my GI A1 upper, and a few magazines through the Gunny's M16 with no problems. No ftf, fte, etc.  Good stuff.  Some people claim to have failure to extract due to cases getting stuck in the chamber from heated lacquer, but I have never seen it happen.  I will say that your gun will be quite filthy after shooting a bunch of this stuff.  

UH Sammy
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#14]

I will say that your gun will be quite filthy after shooting a bunch of this stuff.

That's why God invented Hoppe's #9 and CLP
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
i work there and the simularites to wolf are only beacuse that its also russian, steel cased, and it works fine. it all matters on the gun, some will like it some wont.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Only have used the 5.56 stuff.

Stinks.
Leaves some really nasty carbon buildup.
It'll pattern OK with my 1/12" twist, just don't expect it to group.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Monarch at Academy appears to be an Academy branding.  You dont see the ammo for sale under this name from other suppliers (at least I havent).

It is mostly barnaul ammo, which has an excellent reputation.  Barnaul still uses lacquer for their steel cases, which I never had a problem with.  It is NOT all from barnaul, however.

The brass cased stuff is NOT Academy's brand.  Academy doesnt make ammo.  Currently, the brass cased Monarch ammo I have shot in .223 is from Prvi Partisan - Serbia.  They have a pretty decent reputation - however - this ammo, like Barnaul and Wolf, is not very "hot" and did not cycle well in my weapon.  However - a buddy had a new, clean, and well lubricated Stag arms M4, and his ate it like candy.

It is, what it is - good cheap blasting ammo.  Not super hot, not super accurate, but another choice out there when you need some ammo.  Just like any ammo that isnt "top tier", you just need to see how *your* weapons like it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Monarch at Academy appears to be an Academy branding.  You dont see the ammo for sale under this name from other suppliers (at least I havent).

It is mostly barnaul ammo, which has an excellent reputation.  Barnaul still uses lacquer for their steel cases, which I never had a problem with.  It is NOT all from barnaul, however.

The brass cased stuff is NOT Academy's brand.  Academy doesnt make ammo.  Currently, the brass cased Monarch ammo I have shot in .223 is from Prvi Partisan - Serbia.  They have a pretty decent reputation - however - this ammo, like Barnaul and Wolf, is not very "hot" and did not cycle well in my weapon.  However - a buddy had a new, clean, and well lubricated Stag arms M4, and his ate it like candy.

It is, what it is - good cheap blasting ammo.  Not super hot, not super accurate, but another choice out there when you need some ammo.  Just like any ammo that isnt "top tier", you just need to see how *your* weapons like it.

if you're talking about the blue-boxed monarch, then no it's not academy's brand.  I've bought some off aimsurplus.com, ammunitionstore.com and others, including private vendors at fun shows (although realistically they could have bought it from academy).

I can tell you with confidence, never in academy's history have they sold 5.45x39 caliber, only 7.62, .223 and now 30-06.  But I do have a good amount of the 5.45x39 blue-boxed monarch.  

Not to mention, I've seen the blue-boxed in 7.62x54r on a few online sites, and a few other calibers not at academy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you're talking about the blue-boxed monarch, then no it's not academy's brand.  I've bought some off aimsurplus.com, ammunitionstore.com and others, including private vendors at fun shows (although realistically they could have bought it from academy).

I can tell you with confidence, never in academy's history have they sold 5.45x39 caliber, only 7.62, .223 and now 30-06.  But I do have a good amount of the 5.45x39 blue-boxed monarch.  

Not to mention, I've seen the blue-boxed in 7.62x54r on a few online sites, and a few other calibers not at academy.

All this is true. But let me add that while not all Monarch is brought in by Academy, Academy itself does import the Barnaul that it sells.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#20]
The softpoints they make are quite usable, the other stuff is just plinking ammo. Either way it's very dirty stuff.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I have about 500 rds of Monarch 223, and it works well in my carbine, get decent groups, not match grade ammo by any means, but it does go bang and make holes in paper.

$2.86/20rds.

ETA-spelling
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I shoot the monarch 8mm in my Uzi SMG. Not a single problem.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I shoot the monarch 8mm in my Uzi SMG. Not a single problem.

I also put the Monarch ammo through a few FA uzis without a problem - but it was the 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#24]
i was wondering the same things about monarch. I ran 40 rounds of the brass case shit last weekend,it shoy ok. anyone else try the brass case?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Stop Buying Monarch!!!  I can't get any now, because the shelves are empty.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That's funny because the Academy by me always has plenty of Monarch .223 and 7.62x39, but all the other brands of .223 are always sold out.

But I don't mind because the Monarch works great for me and it's also the cheapest!

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's funny because the Academy by me always has plenty of Monarch .223 and 7.62x39, but all the other brands of .223 are always sold out.

But I don't mind because the Monarch works great for me and it's also the cheapest!

Same here. Theres probably 2 or 2.5 cases worth on the shelf at all times here. I've never bought it as I was leery of laquer case. But I think I'll give it a shot.

They have the brass cased stuff here to for I think $6/box. Have to buy some of it too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Just put 300 rounds through mine 2 weeks ago. Only 3 didn't fire. Bad primers I guess.

And they always had plenty in stock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top