Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:26:45 PM EDT
Was in Levelland a week or so ago and saw the most shameful signage.

Can't reproduce it verbatim, but it was essentially a phase-out of anything/everything firearm-related.

All dates are pulled from my own arse:

January 15th, 2006: Firearm layaways discontinued.

February 15th, 2006: Firearm something-or-other discontinued.

March 15th, 2006: Something else firearm-related discontinued.

June 15, 2006: All firearm and ammunition sales discontinued.

P.S. Levelland, TX is about 30mi W of Lubbock.  It is the same "Levelland" from the Robert Earl Keen song of the same name.  (link)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The Wal-Mart in Farmers Brench right off of 635 dicontinues firearms and ammo sales somtime last year. Fine with me since that wal-mart needs to be buldozed and they just bult a super wal-mart in addison. They have winchester white box for good prices.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, for the record, I've never purchased anything *directly* firearms-related from Walley World.

I was just lamenting their anti-firearms stance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The only bad thing about Wal-Mart not selling Guns or Ammo is that it MAY impact prices in the market.

By that I mean if you have less competition in the market than the demand / supply will be effected.

Lets hope the other stores that sell firearms & ammo will not increase prices.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
it's ok,
Academy has lower prices anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
it's ok,

That was his point. Now Academy can raise prices and not be undercut by Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
WalMart no likey firearms.

Wal-Mart loves firearms. That is why they are the nations' #1 firearms retailer. Wal-Mart is more consumed with making money though, so if that space in the store dedicated to firearms can make them more money than something other than firearms, it will be changed. And that is what is happening.

In urban areas, Wal-Mart does not sell a lot of firearms, as there are so many other retailer outlets with better selection, better prices, and better staff. Just look at the changes in DFW in last few years -expansion of Academy, Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc. They are finding it hard to compete with the super-specialty stores that carry lots of product, and have decent prices and staff to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it's ok,

That was his point. Now Academy can raise prices and not be undercut by Wal-Mart.

not with Cabelas, Bass Pro and Gander plus gun shows and local boys all in the mix.
i don't think china mart will be missed at all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
it's ok,

not with Cabelas, Bass Pro and Gander plus gun shows and local boys all in the mix.
i don't think china mart will be missed at all.

i meant generically across the US, not DFW or other urban areas with lots of choice. As I mentioned above, those stores have effectively put Wal-Mart out of the firearms business in urban areas.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
walmart is only about one thing.  MONEY!  Wifey works at walmart as a manager.  If a department makes money that is great if something else can make more money the original will be replaced
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd suggest that you stay tuned for some possible awesome clearance prices.

wganz
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Every cloud.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top