Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 10:17:07 PM EDT
Ok, so I'm driving home this morning and I see a freaking trebuchet in a local neighbor’s driveway.

Which on of you guys is it???

I'll post a pic in the morning if I can figure out how to get it off my phone.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe he's going to toss some pimped hondas with it?  If so get pics.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok, so I'm driving home this morning and I see a freaking trebuchet in a local neighbor’s driveway.

Which on of you guys is it???

I'll post a pic in the morning if I can figure out how to get it off my phone.

What is a Trebuchet ?

Hey I'm new! ? !
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]

It's a medieval siege machine. Similar to mangonels and ballistas? (Catapults and big ass crossbows)

Instaead of using some sort of spring force or tension it uses a counter weight. In other words, it launches really heavy objects a long way! (cars, pianos etc. )
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
images.google.com/images?q=tbn:yzlNzjqE1EAJ:www.castlewales.com/trebucht.jpg

It's a medieval siege machine. Similar to mangonels and ballistas? (Catapults and big ass crossbows)

Instaead of using some sort of spring force or tension it uses a counter weight. In other words, it launches really heavy objects a long way! (cars, pianos etc. )

Time to unpimp ze auto...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#5]
We built one in high school out of garden timbers and 5 gallon water buckets.  You'd be amazed how far you can toss things.

Sent my sister's tricycle a good 150 yards.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#6]
kick ass.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Its not in gardenvalley is it ?  If it is I know whos it is!  And if I go get it its MINE Buddy built one and his wife says it has to go.  So he said if I come get it its mine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
images.google.com/images?q=tbn:yzlNzjqE1EAJ:www.castlewales.com/trebucht.jpg

Time to unpimp ze auto...

Oh, Snap!

Vee just to dropped it like eets hawt.

Speaking of which, is that the Lloyd Dobbler voice over at the end of the commercial?!?!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Still can't get my e-mail set up on my phone to e-mail the photo.

The A-frame is roughly 9-10ft tall. With the arm upright the whole apparatus is about 20ft total. He has a huge metal box attached to load the counter-weight. Looks like it could hurl a small icebox or a dishwasher. But somehow I think it's built for watermelons.

Also this is in Wylie. Buncha Ya-hoos out here anyway
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm...neighborhood wars with trebuchet launched pumpkins?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
If any of the Hun Farm regulars are reading this thread, it would be a really cool project to build a trebuchet at the farm.  

TC

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#12]
The ratios are very simple.  If memory serves…

You make it out of Equal lateral triangles.  Most beams are a given dimension.
The main beam is twice the length of the primary dimension and the a-frame.
The width between the uprights is half the main dim
The line is the same length as the main beam.  
The width of the base is the major dim.  
There are two types.  One with wheels and a fixed counterweight and one with a base and a swinging counterweight.

Get some good pics and you can figure it out.  

plans
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top