Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 9:18:17 AM EDT

So, Is it true I can buy a an AR-Pistol in 5.56 with no NFA regs?  Just a 4473/FFL?

If so, is it also true that I could legally put a 14 inch barrell on say a Colt Python?
And I could legally put a shoulder stock kit on a 1911 pistol?
Not that I would really want to do either of the above... BUT....

If I got an AR15-Pistol, it might be cool to put a collapsible stock and an 11 or 14 inch barrell on it.  And it still wouldn't be an SBR, but just a pistol with a long barrell and a stock.  NO?????

Can someone explain the laws both (Federal and State) on this?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the shoulder stock on the 1911 is a no go, it would be a SBR.

Same problem for putting a stock on an AR pistol.

Remember, can't be shoulderable and have a short barrel
without a tax stamp.  If you want to be legal that is.

Best deal is to just get a MG, you can then
do pretty much anything ya want.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
pistol is a pistol AR-pistol or not ... its is only a pistol

A 1911 CAn have a stock, If it has a 16"+ barrel

You can put a 20" ballel on a pistol if you want hell even a 36" barrel

If it has a stock and a barrel under 16" its a SBR if it does not have a stock its a pistol

You can change a pistol to a rifle but never a rifle to a pistol

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I see, I guess I misunderstood.....
As soon as you put a stock on a pistol (of any barrel length), it then becomes a rifle as far as the law is concerned.  Thanks for clearing that up!  (thought I was on to a clever little nuance of the law)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I see, I guess I misunderstood.....
As soon as you put a stock on a pistol (of any barrel length), it then becomes a rifle as far as the law is concerned.  Thanks for clearing that up!  (thought I was on to a clever little nuance of the law)

Must become a pistol first... once a pistol, always a pistol. Then you can switch back & forth between a legal rifle (bbl>16", etc.) and a pistol (no buttstock)....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
AR pistol with <16" barrel: OK
AR pistol with <16" barrel AND Buttstock: SBR

1911 w/ Buttstock and >16" barrel: OK
1911 w/ Buttstock and <16" barrel: SBR

Of note: 5.56 AR pistols still need receiver extensions to function (unless you have one of them speshul uppers).  Carbine- and rifle- length receiver extensions WITHOUT buttstocks attached are generally considered OK for AR pistol applications.  Opinions vary on whether or not you need to modify them to make the buttstock uninstallable.  Better safe than sorry is usually my advice.

Read up in the AR Pistol forums for more info (and opinions) than you ever wanted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top