Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 2:42:16 PM EDT
There has been a lot of talk about how the DU has been working to effect the republican primaries.  I took that with a bit of salt until I voted today.  The line for the republican voting was long, and no one was in the democrat's line.  While I am waiting, I am listening to others in the line.  There were several people talking about how funny it was they were voting republican just to vote for Diane Patric and get Grusendorf out of office.

When I leave I notice people greeting the guy carrying the Patric sign and talking about how they came just to vote for her and help the cause.  Damn Dem's.  Put an (R) behind their name and hope no ones paying attention.  It will be interesting to see how this goes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
This happened in our local sherrif's race last year.  They knew they couldn't get their D candidate elected, but didn't like the R incumbent so they ran someone against him in the primaries (successfully).

Many D candidates were surprised to find that voting in the R primaries disqualified them from running for office as D's in the general election.  A few D's who had remained unupposed in minor local offices for years (or even decades) were suddenly ousted from their positions.  Of course they all raised their hands and cried foul.

I'm not a huge fan of the two-party party system, but if you're going to pick a side of the fence, at least stay on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with their strategy.  Last election I decided to cross party lines.

The Repub's have lost me and I figured I could have a much bigger impact as a Dem. in
the primaries.

Duing the general election I did hold my nose and vote for Bush, he being the lesser of
two evils and all.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I voted in the Democrat primaries this year.

There wasnt much competition going on in the local Republican primaries, most were unopposed and only in two races was there a choice. So I decided to vote in the Democrat primaries since most races had competition, I also went to the TSRA website and got thier votersguide to see which pro-gun democrats I should vote for.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Well Mz Patrick won.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are in Texas, and the Republicans have 'lost' you, then I would say that you are in a Helluva different part of Texas than I am.

I'm a Collin County Republican!

Eric The(RedState)Hun
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I am with eric on this.  I have issue with dems jumping to being Republicans to get elected, its BS.  If the GOP has lost you at the local level, I will remind everyone that when the dems controlled the legislature in the early 1990's the jerrymendered the crap out of us.  The problem in the state is how rigid the parties are on making people work they way up.  I actually thought about leaving the military and running for office in Texas.  

Jim, the Tarrant County Republican
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I was in line to vote for about 20 minutes and saw not one D come in to vote. There was 12-15 folks in line and they all registered as R's while I was there.

This was the first time Grayson county had used the touch screen machines and some of the older voters were having a little trouble with them. They also had one crash while I was in line. The head election judge was not a happy camper and had not been drilled in what to to if it happened. They did let the lady it happened to re-vote though. How secure are these things anyway?

There was nothing wrong with a paper ballot and a heavy black pen damnit!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Chris Bell the Dem. running for gov. ran as congress as a Rep. about 8years. He ran against Culberson.

He did not fool anyone
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
It wasn't uncommon for GOPer to vote in the Dem primaries in years gone by.  Often there was only one person running in the GOP race.  We would cross over and vote Dem to make sure the Dems didn't nominate some total moron.  It was simply a way of hedging our bets.

I cannot comprehend anyone with even the slightest morals, intelligence, and/or self-respect voting for a Dem.  The GOP isn't perfect and never will be.   As far as I am concerned, the Dems are in league with the Devil and are merely a coalition of the selfish, self-serving, amoral, and lazy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you are in Texas, and the Republicans have 'lost' you, then I would say that you are in a Helluva different part of Texas than I am.

Eric The(RedState)Hun

I guess my biggest problem is that I am not truely a Republican at heart.  I don't want
the govt sticking its noses in peoples business.  Not into abortion, drugs, gay marriage, guns or how much water my toilet uses.  I don't need three tax stickers on my car.  I don't want to build other nations.  I don't want to pay the outragous Dallas property taxes to educate other people kids.  I don't want the President to lie about the ROP.  I don't want to have to get a CHL.

I want to put murders to death in the same decade in which they commit their crimes.  I want
politicans and cops that misplace the publics trust held accountable for their egregious violations of office.  
I want to bomb terrorist supporting states.  I want to pay taxes commensurate to my drag on society and pay
no more.

Sorry Eric, but 90% of Republicans in Dallas are 180% from me on most of the above.

Addtionaly, I note that in past decades the Republicans act most favorably, at least to me, when they are out of office and  trying to earn my vote.

PS:  Much of the laws I want done away with are at the Federal level.  I am OK with Texas
outlawing gay marriage.  I don't care what they do in California.  But, I sure want the
Federal govt to have no say in most things.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I teach in public schools.  I deal with a great number of MS and HS kids.  Here are some points to ponder.

Drugs

A person would have to be a mouth-breathing idiot to think that this country would be better off if we turned a blind eye to drugs.  I see MS kids who are using meth, mj, booze, etc.  They get it from family or friends.  In spite of all the warnings, these kids think that they will somehow be able to do drugs and not pay a big price for it.  If we simply let drugs go, we are telling the young and stupid that drugs aren't all that bad.  I had a cute-as-a-button, 12-year-old Hispanic girl gell me that she had used meth "only once."  Most likely, she will be dead within a decade because meth is just that bad and just that deadly.

Abortion

Abortion cheapened all our lives.  No one, especially irresponsible men who want to be free to stick their dick into whatever pussy they can get away with and not care if they father a child do not have a valid opinion.  We don't care about our young.....i.e. abortion....and as a result they don't care that much about themselves.....i.e. drugs.

Teacher Pay

Everyone who goes into teaching knows what it pays.  Also, every teacher knows that teacher pay is a political football.  Teachers get paid the exact amount it takes to fill teaching positions.  Teachers who get mad about their pay and benefits are not that bright.  Teacher pay is what it is and will always be that way.  I am always amazed by the fat-assed female teachers who get mad about the pay.  They were either stupid when they entered the profession or stupid now.

Educating other peoples kids

We do not live in a vacuum.  Even the self-absorbed and selfish who hate other peoples' children.....again, spoiled young white boys up to the age of 35.....benefit from public education.  They don't want to pay what it takes to educate kids nor do they feel they should retroactively pay for the education they were given for free.  Often I hear people bitch about public education.  Given the quality of students we get from screwed up families, druggy families, single-parent families (because some mother's self-absorbed son won't pay for the life he helped create), and the like, we do an outstanding job teaching a population that contains many kids who are unskilled, unlearned, uncouth, and unmotivated.

There is no difference between a welfare mother and a single urban white guy.  Both of them want free rides and don't care about the costs to others or the costs to society.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Will said,
>There is no difference between a welfare mother and a single urban white guy.
>Both of them want free rides and don't care about the costs to others or
>the costs to society.

Which is incorrect.  My being the white guy I assume you are directing this statement at me.  Where did I say I want a "free ride".  I want to pay taxes in a "fair" and equitable manner.  Why must I keep paying taxes without bounds just because I work my butt off?   Do you think I should just shut up and pay 6 figures worth of taxes every year?  How can I be in that position and at the same time be wanting a "free ride"?  Buddy, we work our arses off in this househould to be in that position.  I am not ashamed of that fact, and it puts me in a postion to help many people out.  I just want to decide who and when I do so, not the govt.

Also, are you saying that it is A OK for the fed govt to just ignore the concept of enumerated powers and elect to put its nose where it does not belong?  Do you even understand the concept of those laws not given to the fed are left to the states and the peope. If not I suspect you are the type teacher that is the reason I keep my kids out of public schools.  Your just using the ole ends justifies the means arguments. Your ends justfies pilfereing from me to acheive your goals.

And where did you see me say I think it is OK for people to abort babies and do drugs. What I said is there should be no drugs about those things.  This is two different topics.  Next things I expect for you to post is that we should outlaw guns.  Same line of reasoning.  What business is it of mine if someone does drugs inside their home?  And don't give me the canard that it causes people to rob and steal.  That problem is easy to fix, punish them for robbing!  And make the punishment severe.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eric The(RedState)Hun

I guess my biggest problem is that I am not truely a Republican at heart.  

Yes.

I think that might well indeed be your biggest problem.

Eric The(ReaganRepublicanBeforeBeingReaganRepublicanWasCool)Hun
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Chas_Martel, you sound like a libertarian, as are most people that consider themselves "Republicans".

I urge everyone to take just a minute to complete this quiz:

www.self-gov.org/quiz.html
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#15]
CHAS---
If you hang out on here then I suspect you're more like the rest of us than you think, we being pretty much one-issue people (gun-rights-oriented, which expresses a lot of thoughts about the way we view society's pluses and minuses in general).
Ok, so you're not really a Republican, you say. But you sound way too intelligent to be a Democrat, so how about it---just pretend to love us and vote with us anyway, okay?

Tarrant County, middle-of-the-road, Republican and just as scared of the nutty left as I am of the nutty right....

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A person would have to be a mouth-breathing idiot to think that this country would be better off if we turned a blind eye to drugs.

I think this country would be better off without a useless money and life wasting War on Drugs.

I dont see why any drug should be treated so differently than alcohol.

I see MS kids who are using meth, mj, booze, etc. They get it from family or friends.  In spite of all the warnings, these kids think that they will somehow be able to do drugs and not pay a big price for it.  If we simply let drugs go, we are telling the young and stupid that drugs aren't all that bad.

Drugs arent the problem, people are the problem. Specifically the parents, family, and friends of the girl in that situation.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:05:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey guys, yeah I do get along might fine here.  I've been to the Hun farm, out to Ralph's place and
heck I was at some of the original Texas Black Rifle shoots years ago.  I do think like many here.

But I am no libertarian.  Those guys are for open borders, I ain't.  My biggest problem is that
I out grew the Republican party.  

I don't get the unbelievable spending of the Republicans.  I also think the average Republican
has no idea whatsoever what it truely means to be "free".  I talk to Republicans everyday
that want the state to take care of EVER perceived problem.

I have read all the good books, and a few of the bad one, and believe I am a Liberal in the
John Locke sense of the word.  I want the govt out of our business save for protecting
out fundamental rights.  That's all.  I just don't understand the need for govt to have
a say in literally EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey guys, yeah I do get along might fine here.  I've been to the Hun farm, out to Ralph's place and
heck I was at some of the original Texas Black Rifle shoots years ago.  I do think like many here.

But I am no libertarian.  Those guys are for open borders, I ain't.  My biggest problem is that
I out grew the Republican party.  

I don't get the unbelievable spending of the Republicans.  I also think the average Republican
has no idea whatsoever what it truely means to be "free".  I talk to Republicans everyday
that want the state to take care of EVER perceived problem.

I have read all the good books, and a few of the bad one, and believe I am a Liberal in the
John Locke sense of the word.  I want the govt out of our business save for protecting
out fundamental rights.  That's all.  I just don't understand the need for govt to have
a say in literally EVERYTHING.

Hehe...  You describe yourself as the definition of a libertarian and then try to say that you aren't one?  C'mon...

Interestingly, it looks like most members of the Libertarian Party want to change that party plank:

www.lp.org/lpnews/article_495.shtml

www.lp.org/lpnews/article_302.shtml

Personally, I don't agree with EVERYTHING that any party represents.  But the Libertarian Party comes closest to my values and beliefs.  I'm more of a nationalistic libertarian.  I don't agree with them on their views on immigration, either.  But do you think the Republocrats any better?  I didn't think so...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#19]
" nationalistic libertarian"

Sounds good.  That comes very close to describing myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top