Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 10:49:00 AM EDT

Doesn't seem like many folks were too keen on the build party idea, I don't know if it's because I'm an outsider with a low post count or what.  If any other newbies (or non-newbies) are in the DFW area with AK kits to build, let's get together.  I'm completely new to this site and this hobby, so I have lots to learn.   I don't care about post counts, just want to find a couple folks to build with and pool resources.

I'm thinking about renting a bending jig to make a few receivers.  Also considering building my own, I just have to buy some steel.  I already have a press.  I'm probably going to do weld builds, so if you want to do rivet builds, you will need to find the necessary tools.

Does anyone here have a bending jig I could borrow/rent?  That would make things very easy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What locale? I don't have an AK to build, but I've helped build one of mine, and might be interested in helping/watching.

+1, I have no kit, but I'm always looking to learn a thing or two about something new.

Where ya located?

NB
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending are where you are I would like to work on some more AKs then I have in the past.

Post any ideas where we can get together and do this, even if others have the kits or want to do some work.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
where are you at?!!! would definately like to do a Houston build party.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What locale? I don't have an AK to build, but I've helped build one of mine, and might be interested in helping/watching.

+1, I have no kit, but I'm always looking to learn a thing or two about something new.

Where ya located?

NB

+2
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm on the Duncanville Dallas border, very close to I20.  Sounds like there's decent interest.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
We could do this at my place, as long as there aren't a TON of folks.  I've got a two car garage but one half is pretty much used up.  I would think that we could have around ten people or so.  Someone else might have a better setup with more room though.

I have at least two kits to build, possibly three or four, depending on whether or not I can find some decent 100% receivers.

As far as a timeframe, I don't know, I posted this over on gunco.net and it seems there was interest in the second weekend of April.

I'd say this doesn't have to be an AK only build, we could work on whatever you want.  Just know that I know NOTHING about ARs, so someone else would need to make sure everything that is needed is actually available.

I would also like to learn to do parkerizing, does anyone have a parkerizing setup?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a AK parts kit and receiver flat I would be intersted in joining. I also have a mill (small) that we can build riveting blocks with

[email protected]

Robert
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I am working on slightly moving to the dark side. I have 2 kits and flats, I have a press, a spot welder and just ordered a flat bending jig.

I have a pair of bolt cutters I am planning on making into rivet squezers.

I hope to be ready in two weeks.

Any one up for a flat bending get together?

I live in Plano.

Bryan.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Bryan, my name is also Bryan.

I would definitely like to bend some flats with ya.  I think the best way to do this would be to go a little at a time, since I don't have the experience to prepare for an all-day must-finish build.  Let me know when you are ready to bend some flats, I have a couple and I want to get one or two more.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top