Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 2:03:28 PM EDT
Kinky Friedman testifies in capital murder case

(2/28/06 - HOUSTON) - Independent gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman testified Tuesday on behalf of a man convicted of killing three people during a robbery at a Houston bowling alley.

Friedman testified during the punishment phase of Max Soffar's trial that the defendant should not be executed and questioned the evidence used to convict him.

"I've seen the problems with the lawyers, everybody's dead, all the witnesses are dead, there's no evidence against him," he said. "And I can't even believe he was brought to trial in the first place."

Friedman, a musician-turned-mystery author-turned-politician, said his court appearance had nothing to do with his run for governor. Known for his trademark black cowboy hat and cigar, Friedman needs to collect more than 45,000 signatures after the March 7 primaries to be placed on the November ballot.

Soffar, 50, was sent to death row for the 1980 killings of Arden Alane Felsher, 17; Stephen Allen Sims, 25; and Tommy Lee Temple, 17, at the Fair Lanes Windfern Bowling Center. A fourth victim, Gregory Garner, survived with permanent brain damage and lost his left eye.

But a three-judge federal appeals court panel threw out the conviction in 2004 after deciding Soffar received ineffective legal representation.

A second jury convicted him last week of capital murder.

A drug addict and sometime police informant who had been in and out of mental institutions and reform schools, Soffar confessed to the killings but later recanted.

Defense attorneys said the former truck driver and ironworker had the mental capacity of a 10-year-old when he confessed.

Friedman said he met Soffar while writing an article for Texas Monthly magazine. He interviewed Soffar and exchanged letters with him during his years on death row.

Although he used to support the death penalty, Friedman told jurors he's now against it.

Testimony in the punishment phase ended shortly after Friedman left the witness stand.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=3948211

max soffar confessed to the murders after being busted with a stolen motorcycle. this is the second jury to find him guilty for the murders. kinky says he knows soffar and that soffar is not guilty. how the hell can anyone really know someone through letters and glass? kinky is flaky!

kinky friedman on gun control  "I don't carry a weapon, so anyone who wants to shoot me will have to bring his own gun."

two reasons he will not get my vote!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
if this is true, he does not stand a chance in TX.  Capital punishment enjoys about 85~90 percent approval rating in TX
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a surprise?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait till he tells how he feels about "your" firearms.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Well now he has got a gunshot wound in both feet- third party and against the death penalty
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Running as an independent=can't get elected by a mainstream party

In this case:

Kinky Friedman running as an independent=leftist who can't get support from the Democratic party
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
PISS ON HIM. He is against gun ownership Too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Kinky Freidman can kiss my ass in hell.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Kinky Freidman can kiss my ass in hell.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top