Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:55:04 PM EDT
I recently moved to Texas from Arizona. I took a TX CHL class but I have to wait until I have lived here 6 months just to apply! Anyone know definitively if I am ok to carry until then with my valid AZ concealed permit? AZ is a reciprocal state.

My instructor wasn’t sure. I e-mailed DPS but I’m guessing it will be awhile before I get an answer.

TIA
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:51:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By big_peter:
I recently moved to Texas from Arizona. I took a TX CHL class but I have to wait until I have lived here 6 months just to apply! Anyone know definitively if I am ok to carry until then with my valid AZ concealed permit? AZ is a reciprocal state.

My instructor wasn’t sure. I e-mailed DPS but I’m guessing it will be awhile before I get an answer.

TIA

Look here:

Packing.org
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:51:06 AM EDT

You can probably find more reliable answers than mine--including calling the DPS section that handles CHL's, and most DMV offices--but I can tell you what I know. When I moved back to Texas I was told by DPS that my carry permit from my former state was invalid the day I declared Texas residency--as in the day I applied to get my TX DL back, registered to vote, etc.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:41:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By imcoltsguy:
You can probably find more reliable answers than mine--including calling the DPS section that handles CHL's, and most DMV offices--but I can tell you what I know. When I moved back to Texas I was told by DPS that my carry permit from my former state was invalid the day I declared Texas residency--as in the day I applied to get my TX DL back, registered to vote, etc.

That is nowhere in the law.

You no longer need Texas residency at all to get a Texas CHL. Go ahead and apply now.

Your AZ license is fine until you receive your Texas CHL.
Top Top