Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:55:04 PM EDT
I recently moved to Texas from Arizona.  I took a TX CHL class but I have to wait until I have lived here 6 months just to apply!  Anyone know definitively if I am ok to carry until then with my valid AZ concealed permit?  AZ is a reciprocal state.

My instructor wasn’t sure.  I e-mailed DPS but I’m guessing it will be awhile before I get an answer.

TIA
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently moved to Texas from Arizona.  I took a TX CHL class but I have to wait until I have lived here 6 months just to apply!  Anyone know definitively if I am ok to carry until then with my valid AZ concealed permit?  AZ is a reciprocal state.

My instructor wasn’t sure.  I e-mailed DPS but I’m guessing it will be awhile before I get an answer.

TIA

Look here:

Packing.org
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]

You can probably find more reliable answers than mine--including calling the DPS section that handles CHL's, and most DMV offices--but I can tell you what I know. When I moved back to Texas I was told by DPS that my carry permit from my former state was invalid the day I declared Texas residency--as in the day I applied to get my TX DL back, registered to vote, etc.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can probably find more reliable answers than mine--including calling the DPS section that handles CHL's, and most DMV offices--but I can tell you what I know. When I moved back to Texas I was told by DPS that my carry permit from my former state was invalid the day I declared Texas residency--as in the day I applied to get my TX DL back, registered to vote, etc.

That is nowhere in the law.

You no longer need Texas residency at all to get a Texas CHL.  Go ahead and apply now.

Your AZ license is fine until you receive your Texas CHL.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top