Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 6:10:17 PM EDT

I got a great deal ona 1911 today at Big Town.

I got a Rock Island 1911 for $275.00

I could not pass it up........

Anyhow ---

$75 worth of parts and this could be a decent little gun - "nothing to carry of course" but by the bedside.

I am going to buy - Chip McCormick :
SEAR
TRIGGER
SPRING
HAMMER
GRIP SAFETY

I want to put this stuff in myself..

Anyone here have experience with this - that I can get with and walk through ??

I know I could pay people - but CRAP- I want to know how to do this..

Let me know if anyone is WILLING/INTERESTED or know of anyone

EMAIL me, too -  I can't get to ar15.com from work -- it drives me crazy.....

THANKS guys.
It could be worth some beer , etc..
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy Kuhnhausen's 1911 manual vol. 2 and start reading...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:20:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Getsum give me a holla'............I do work on 1911's and I can get chip mccormick stuff direct.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You mean to tell me out of all of us here , no one is a 1911 guy

WOW !!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You mean to tell me out of all of us here , no one is a 1911 guy

WOW !!!!

I have several, but I tinker with my own.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
what part of DFW ya in   I have built a couple and willing to help out

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#7]
We going shooting soon GETSUM?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I IM'd you my man.

I have been busy but my finger is itchy.

HAHAHAHA

BTW-

"5" more posts till the big one

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
That stuff is pretty easy to do.  Walk over to 1911forums.com and they have online walkthroughs.  Small Change may chime in here, his 1911 fu is strong.  

You can also pick up a 1911 manual to show you the way.  1911's are pretty easy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I've done a decent amount of work on my Kimber, and I took a beat-up on Norinco (probably similar to your Rock Island) and completely reworked it into a halfway decent combat/competition gun.  It is still a work in progress, but its a far sight better than what I started with.

Sader762 let me try everything out, on my Norinco learned from my successes and mistakes, and did a similar rebuild on his Springfield MilSpec.

I wish I could point you to a simple online resource that has everything you need to know in one place, but I haven't found that yet.  I got most of my learnin' online, but it was incremental.  I just did one thing at a time, over a long period of time.

I would offer to have you over some afternoon to rebuild your pistol, but it's not that simple.  Sometimes what you think will be a simple replacement ends up taking longer than you think, and hours turn into days.

I'm not trying to discourage you from taking this project on.  It is one of the most personally rewarding things I've ever undertaken.  Just don't expect it to be completed to your satisfaction in an afternoon.  And once you replace the hammer, trigger, and sear, you'll want new sights.  Then you'll want a new bushing to increase accuraccy.  And then, and then...  

I'll copy this reply into an email, since you said you can't always check the forum.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#11]
great, got me wanting a 1911 now.

I've always seen these low priced, and thought I should get one to break into the 1911 tinkering world.  Might just do that in a month or so.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#12]
To be honest with you MM - it is not the greatest 1911
But for the price it is AWESOME.

The workmanship is pretty good - now it is not anywhere near the level of workmanship of the Kimber I have - but it is also $900 cheaper , too.

It does shoot exactly  where I aim it.

Only hits count.

Here it is if interested.  --
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice, I'm thinking about ordering the Springfield GI model to start out with.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a nice looking shooter for the price.  While you have it apart, you might as well throw a spring kit in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top