Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/12/2006 9:19:52 PM EDT
I have no idea what TX/Federal law is when it comes to silencers. Who can own them, how can they etc...

Any info would be great.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:27:18 PM EDT
legal to own in the state of texas if done legally.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:43:16 AM EDT
Make sure you have a CLEO that will sign off, or you will have to go LLC.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:12:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 9:16:40 AM EDT by SmallChange]
-omni-,

go to the M16/Full-Auto forum on this site, and click on the NFA FAQ at the top of the page. Most of the info about 'how do I get a machine gun' applies to silencers too and should be quite helpful. There's one significant exception -- silencers are still legal to manufacture for civilian ownership, so their prices aren't hugely inflated becuase of fixed supply the way civilian-legal machine guns are.

It basically works like this -- you buy a silencer, fill out a "Form 4", and send it in along with a $200 tax, a set of fingerprints and a picture of yourself. Once the tax is paid and the form is approved, the dealer can legally transfer the silencer to you.

The $200 tax is a one-time tax on each NFA-regulated item you buy, and is paid every time it changes ownership. So if you buy another silencer, you send in another set of paperwork and another $200. If you sell one to your buddy, the tax and paperwork has to be filed again for him.

One of the things required on the Form 4 is a signature from your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) stating that you're an alright dude, and there are no legal or other reasons why you shouldn't be able to own said device. Some Chiefs, refuse to sign -- but NFA items can be registered to corporations as well as individuals, and CLEO signoff is not required for corporations. Neither are mugshots or fingerprints, since companies don't have faces or fingers. For these and other reasons, many NFA owners have formed corporations for their collections.

But this is just the Cliff's Notes. Go to the FAQs and read up. There's a lot of info, and you'll want to do your homework before you take the plunge.

Enjoy!

edited to make the link hot
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:44:33 PM EDT
thanks for the info guys.

sounds easier to buy a gun than it is to make it quiet, go figure
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:48:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -omni-:

Keep in mind that the process may be designed to weed out those that don't "really" want one. It is a hassle, but people do it all the time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:50:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cool-e:

Originally Posted By -omni-:

Keep in mind that the process may be designed to weed out those that don't "really" want one. It is a hassle, but people do it all the time.

That is exactly the case. NFA weapons (and the process for obtaining them) are NOT for mere curiosity seekers.

Keith
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:07:35 PM EDT
I forgot to mention that if you decide to buy a silencer (or any other NFA trinket), it really helps to have a good, reputable, and personable dealer who will walk you through the process, answer all your questions, help you with the forms, etc. NFA_Investments is a great one to deal with if you're anywhere near the Houston area.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:30:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmallChange:
I forgot to mention that if you decide to buy a silencer (or any other NFA trinket), it really helps to have a good, reputable, and personable dealer who will walk you through the process, answer all your questions, help you with the forms, etc. NFA_Investments is a great one to deal with if you're anywhere near the Houston area.

+1....Keith is a great guy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:11:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:01:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:

Keep in mind, that before the GOPA that people still did not often choose to purchase an MG. The 'tax' of 200.00 was still alot of extra money when an AR15 was 300-400.00. And the lowly macs were even less likely to be purchased as FA.

TRG

Very true. Also of note is that prior to (and during) the 10-year tenure of the '94 AWB, not as many folks were registering SBRs or Silencers. With before-the-ban prices, $200 still seemed like a lot of money. A silencer couldn't be used on a post-ban rifle becuase it was considered a flash hider, and who would want a SBR with a bare muzzle and a fixed stock?

Since the ban expired, Form 1 SBR registrations and Silencer sales have gone nuts. Funny how the anti's attempts to get rid of the "bad stuff" had actually encouraged people to buy more of the "really bad stuff."

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:07:32 AM EDT
Thanks for the history lesson TRG... that's just exactly how I understood it.

Now, I also understand that silencers are rather common in other countries (that might have more restrictive gun laws than in the US), because they are not stygmatized as "assasin's tools"... and are considered a courtesy to the public for reducing noise in the environment and potential hearing loss.

I wish we could get the laws changed here. Its 78 years old now... surely the safety-crats can get on board with reducing noise pollution and auditory injury!

I'm not keen on the NFA stuff cuz I'm on enough .gov DBs as it is.... and too many "non-NFA folks" (including many cops) think all kinda-the-worst when they see someone with NFA stuff.... It doesnt help when the media makes it out that "machine guns are illegal" rather than "FA, SBR and Silencers are more regulated".

Then there's the whole silliness about 11" M4 bbbl (NFA) vs AR-pistols.... or a .410 derringer vs sawing off a .410 shotgun (NFA).
Top Top