Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 10:29:16 AM EDT

Well I have to say a few nice words for the Murphy PD.

I was just pulled over for speeding in MURPHY, TX.

I was on the way home. I got a call that the baby was sick and vomiting everywehere.

I was racing be City Hall and wallah  - "5.0" stops me.

I showed him my DL & CHL  
He asked me if there was an emergency - I said , well I am trying to get home to a sick baby-
He asked if I needed an ambulance - I stated -NO
He asked me where my firearm was-I stated - in the middle console.
He asked me what it was - I stated -  Col 1911 - 45

He gave me back both of my IDs and said drive safely.

Nice guy - I was impressed.

He said be safe
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You should send a email to his Chief simply saying you had a positive encounter during a traffic stop with the officer.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You should send a email to his Chief simply saying you had a positive encounter during a traffic stop with the officer.  

I like that idea!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Working for a PD (I'm not a LEO...just a computer guy), I can tell you that the Chief should be very pleased to get positive feedback from a situation like this.

Any officer on the street will greatly appreciate the "pat on the back".
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent an email to the CHIEF before I even posted here.
He already responded - He was happy to get the email and said he would share it with him.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Most people feel the CHL has a positive effect on these situations, since you're already a certified "good guy" who has passed a background check and proven themselves a responsible citizen.

Sounds like an officer of the old school--there's lots of 'em around, even if they're not old--and I'm proud to call several of them friends.  

Thanks for taking the time to email the chief and for posting here. These folks don't get enough recognition.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent thread...it is nice to see how well things can turn out when both the "suspect" and LEO act professionally.  +1 to both parties.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It is just nice to see something positive said about our police these days.  

They, as a group, seem to fall under the mass media microscope ONLY when something goes wrong.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Good thing you told him you had a Colt. If you had said Glock your butt would be rotting in jail.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Was it the ol' one-legged guy, or is that the Chief now?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Chief is a new guy.
I have ben here in Murphy, almost 4 yrs now - in two different neighborhoods.

Murphy is only "5 square miles"  -  but I have never seen an old 1-legged guy.

When I first moved in , I will admit I thought they were a little un-prepared.

But in recent years the department seems to have undergone a makeover , completely.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The one-legged feller worked there before Murphy started growing... back when it was a country drive on crappy 2-lane blacktops to get there from Richardson, where I grew up.  I think he actually did make Chief at some point.  He got along okay on his prosthetic, but I doubt he'd be chasing anyone down on foot.

If you know where the little Hogg Cemetary is at the NE corner of Skyline (I think) and Murphy road down south of where Renner Road now comes out, I had an uncle that lived on the property on which the cemetary sits some years back.  (I wonder if they've bulldozed the cemetary for housing yet...)  You could see his workplace - Rockwell International "way out" on Renner road - from his house.  The last time I drove through Murphy, I could barely recognize it.  I was amazed at the fact that what was once beautiful country on the Richardson side of Murphy road was now nothing but houses.  Of course, I'm amazed at what Little Elm (where I live), Frisco, McKinney, Plano, and just about every other suburb around here have become in the past five years or so.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a habitual lead foot :)  9/10 times I have been stopped by a LEO for speeding after the usual questions concerning CHL/CCW the officer send me on my way ticketless.  I'm pretty "clean cut" looking and am always respectful meeting people, even getting stopped for a ticket, so it is either my charming personality or they have a fear I will wig out and shoot them or something.  Either way I would say that most LEO's are more forgiving if you are a CHL holder.  Thanks guys (and girls!).
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#13]
As LEO I appreciate that CHL holders are out there. I doubt that if I were in need of assistance that CHL holders would keep on driving. It has also had a positive effect on violent crime, even if the liberals won't admit to it.

Good for you for the e-mail, that officer deserved it. and good for you for sending it. Its citizens like you that remind use that there are still a few good people out there that support us.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As LEO I appreciate that CHL holders are out there. I doubt that if I were in need of assistance that CHL holders would keep on driving. It has also had a positive effect on violent crime, even if the liberals won't admit to it.

MPD,

I for one would definitely stop to help an LEO, whether it be with my firearm or my bare hands.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]

what if you had said you were carrying a .32?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:28:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Officer:  are you carrying?

Driver:  yes I am

Officer:  what do you have, and where is it?

Driver:  I have a .380 in the glove compartment

Officer:  please step out of the car so I can slap you silly, girly-man... AND I'm writing you a ticket after I bring in some other officers to laugh at you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wrote a letter once after an encounter with a Texas DPS trooper. The guy was unbelievably helpful and polite. He even placed a phone call to the Concealed Handgun Department in Austin on my behalf, asking them to correct a problem with my CHL (it listed me as NSA instead of SA). They sent me a corrected one within a week!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]
The cemetary is still there.
OLD ANS SPOOKY LOOKING -

Surrounded by houses.

All of Murphy is pretty much SUBDIVISION upon SUBDIVISION.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#19]
That was very considerate.

I have not had such luck in Rowlett....assholes.

I have diabetis and was not feeling well but almost home, I just needed something to eat.
Driving over Rayhubbored, dick is sitting on the other side, pulls me over.

I promptly provided him my DL and CHL and I explain him the situation, he wants to know if I want a bus I said no, just feeling shacking need a quick bite and I am almost home up the street. Guy takes a totally different approach and keeps me there for 20mins while he dicks around then gives me a citation for 3 mph over !! WTF

I told him off after that and said I hope you never have any medical problems and need to get home and are held for 20mins while your condition gets worse and then get fucked over for 3mph...ASSHOLE !

Talk about an idiot.

There are some good ones out there and are understanding as long as you are not a moron and duh when they ask you questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top