Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Edited to not stray from the guy's original topic.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I was the Lucky Customer at Bachman last year.  I bought two 870 SBS's from Shaun.  He did all my paperwork, took my money, spent time showing me his guns.  He even took me around to his safe and showed me a Thompson, a Glock 18, and some other machine guns.  We then talked about the early 90's when he had stacks of M-16's that he couldn't move.  He also told me that he does most of his business as a distributor.  Maybe something happened to him in the past year to make him cranky?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
ikekrull,
The kind of service you described is what I expected having been a long time customer. I certainly did not make a purchase every time I went , but I spent my fair share. It was always a surprise when you walk in to see just what was in inventory on that trip. He once had a pre-sp89, one of 5 released for public sale with a letter from H&K verifying. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up that one! Truely one of the best shops in town. Too bad this experience happened.
I want to THANK ALL for your responses!
Randy
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
He was probably having a bad day.  Owners are allowed to have those once in a while  as long as they keep their hands to themselves.

I think I asked him about trading my GLOCK 20 carry gun once- I had to wait for a few minutes- when he appearred- he was very abrupt and told me he wasn't interested and walked off.  

Good Customer service- nope- not at all.  Would I buy from him in the future when I do purchase a new Glock 20?  Probably not.  Did it piss me off?  Nope- not at all.  Life is too short and there ar too many dealers who know me and will treat me like they want my business.

I am amazed at what passes for good customer service these days and I do not understand why the owner would treat a knowlegable buyer of an AOW in tha tmanner.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Yesterday I bought a Colt 1911 NRM at B P & G;  when I got it home, I noticed that the factory had gouged out the hole on the right side of the frame where the slide stop comes through.
I called Shaun today, he said "bring it back."
I did, and they promptly exchanged the gun for another.  I was very happy with the way they handled the transaction.

I've purchased from other places in the past that have the policy that if the gun's defective it's the customer's responsibility to take it up with the factory.

I have no stock in Bachman Pawn and Gun, I just like to shop there and I always look for 'em at local gunshows.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess I crossed the picket line-

Mister, you LIVE on the other side of the picket line.  

I know I'm a little bitch-but I'm good at it!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The owner of Bachman Pawn has one of the worst attitudes that you will find in any business, anywhere.

I had bought several guns there as well as accesories, and never had a problem. Then one day I went in to make a purchase, after having called ahead to confirm that they had the item and that I could come get it. Once there, the manager walked up and interrupted the sales man I was talking to and told me they were too busy and couldn't help me - to come back another day. After an hour drive each way this was not cool.

I was disapointed, but calm  - I asked when a good time would be. The owner said "for you - never." I asked why and he just stood there like an idiot with his arms crossed, staring me in the face and not saying a word. He wasted two hours of my time, all because he was an unprofessional idiot who wouldn't honor his business' promise to me.

When he left the salesman made apologies (quietly). The workers all seem fine, but the owner is an idiot with no service skills whatsoever. The few thousand I had spent there were obviously not enough to buy even minimal customer service - or even basic courtesy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Centryhouse,
All I can say is "WOW." That's just as unbelievable. I feel as though I have joined your club. Are there any dues?
Randy aka.vipergts
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]
ummmm...the word, "Pawn" in their company name says it all IMHO
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The owner of Bachman Pawn has one of the worst attitudes that you will find in any business, anywhere.

I had bought several guns there as well as accesories, and never had a problem. Then one day I went in to make a purchase, after having called ahead to confirm that they had the item and that I could come get it. Once there, the manager walked up and interrupted the sales man I was talking to and told me they were too busy and couldn't help me - to come back another day. After an hour drive each way this was not cool.

I was disapointed, but calm  - I asked when a good time would be. The owner said "for you - never." I asked why and he just stood there like an idiot with his arms crossed, staring me in the face and not saying a word. He wasted two hours of my time, all because he was an unprofessional idiot who wouldn't honor his business' promise to me.

When he left the salesman made apologies (quietly). The workers all seem fine, but the owner is an idiot with no service skills whatsoever. The few thousand I had spent there were obviously not enough to buy even minimal customer service - or even basic courtesy.

Grumpy is one thing...but this guy sounds bipolar or deranged
Seriously....
Maybe someone should notify the ATF that this dealer may not be right in the mind.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had dealings with Bachman P&G in the past.  The first time I went in there to buy a shotgun, 6 years ago, I was told to leave because he didnt like young punks.  I left, and while on my way out to my truck, one of the staff guys came up to me and said if I came to the gun show, he would take care of me.  That was Scotty.

After awhile I developed a kinda trust with them.  I bought some pistols and Shawn even said he was sorry for the way he yelled at me, and gave me some extra mags for a P226 I purchased.  Things were going well.  I saved some dough and bought an M1A Standard from them, Shawn came out and gave me a shitload SA complete cleaning kits.  Fuckin A!

About a year and half ago, I bought my final firearm from them at DMH.  It was another Sig, the prce was right, and it was NIB.  I sat down at the show and looked over my purchase.  The top of the barrel was all smileys. I looked in the barrel, and it was leaded up.  I took it back to their booth, and asked to speak with Gene.  He looked it over and said it was new.  I calmy explained it couldnt have been.  He reached into their money till, and handed me my check and snatched the gun from my hand.  He told me they'd never sell to me again, all the while cursing me at the top of that old windbags lungs.

To spite that mother fucker, I go into the store on days I know he's there, and by 1 or 2 20rd SIG marked P226 mags.  They arent much, $40 each, but its just enough money to make him waste his time on me.

Now they got some 21 year old kid working for them that thinks he's gods gift to the tactical world, what with his SS Kimber.  A gem of a quote from him was/is, "I aint never been in a gunfight, but I know that I wont get tunnel vision or the shakes, hell I used to shoot cans of fences".

There are other retailers out there, both with storefronts and gun show booths, that would love to have my business.  Show a lil god damned respect and common decency and have what I'm looking for, and you'll probably get my business.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#13]
What a damned shame.  It sure seems like there are 10 "asshole" stories to every good one.

Why are so many gun dealers total pricks?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Have you ever met any of the customers they have to deal with?

mm
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What a damned shame.  It sure seems like there are 10 "asshole" stories to every good one.

In all honesty, I can't think of one business where that's so true. Really makes you wonder why they ever got in the business to begin with, or if they did any research into the profitability of the firearms business. I know they operate under thin margins, so if that's the case, why be in the business and take out your anger and frustration on the very people who keep you in (your thin margin) business? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#16]
They guys at Bachman's happily let me molest whatever toys they have in the case and answer all my stupid questions best they can, and tell me "I don't know" when they don't.

I've bought my last 2 new firearms at Bachman's, and they will continue to enjoy my business.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mm

does God make him be in the Gun business?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mm

He is one of them, hence he is the answer to his own question...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mm

You mean, those people with fucking money in their hands, wanting to do business, and keep them IN business???

WTF kind of answer is that?  John Q public is a bunch of morons, for sure!  But they are the REASON you are in business, and why you treat them ALL with respect.

You defend this kind of attitude?    Hmmmm......
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Absolutely, a business owner has the right to decide who he wants to do business or not do business with for any reason.

Customers, government, or anyone else do not have the right to tell the business owner how to do business.  If the business fails, then it fails.  If it suceeds, it's noone else's business.

mm
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely, a business owner has the right to decide who he wants to do business or not do business with for any reason.

Customers, government, or anyone else do not have the right to tell the business owner how to do business.  If the business fails, then it fails.  If it suceeds, it's noone else's business.
mm

Oh please.  

Nobody here is talking of trampling their rights to do business as they see fit.  You are fabricating that.

We are discussing their demeanor, and customer experience in a public forum.... to decide whether *WE* want to do business with them based on that....  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mm

Damn straight! If a guy wants to treat his customers (his livelihood) like crap, whose business is it to tell him he's running his business into the ground? Paying customers will always be there!

Paging Mr Barnum...Mr. PT Barnum.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll drink to that!

To which..that I'm a bitch, or that I'm good at it?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll drink to that!

To which..that I'm a bitch, or that I'm good at it?

Both.

luvu2
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I've purchased 13 weapons from Bachman over the years. I've seen Sean at his best and worst.
This story does not surprise me in the least. He's a happy go lucky guy one day and a total areshole
the next. With that said, I've made some great deals in that little shop including NFA toys.

The best way to deal with Sean is to say yes sir, no sir and thank you. Kiss his ass, make your deal,
let him be right and go about your business. I know, I know, that's asking a lot, but it's been worth
it for me so far. Maybe they're out there, but I've never met a pleasant gun dealer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mm

You mean, those people with fucking money in their hands, wanting to do business, and keep them IN business???

WTF kind of answer is that?  John Q public is a bunch of morons, for sure!  But they are the REASON you are in business, and why you treat them ALL with respect.

...And Dealers whine about how the net is killing their business
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#29]
You guys are forgetting one critical part to this.  The PAWN in Bachman Gun and Pawn.  I'm not sure if Sean deals much with the pawn side of the business.  But if he does and knowing the grade of people he has to deal with around the Bachman Lake area, (Yo Habla Espanol)
I can understand a bad mood every once in awhile.  I hate the area of town he's in.  Lock and Load just to get out of the truck.

I picked up a Ruger SP 101 from him a few years back.  Good price, no problem.  

Let it go.  Life is to short to harbor resentment.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You guys are forgetting one critical part to this.  The PAWN in Bachman Gun and Pawn.  I'm not sure if Sean deals much with the pawn side of the business.  But if he does and knowing the grade of people he has to deal with around the Bachman Lake area, (Yo Habla Espanol)
I can understand a bad mood every once in awhile.  I hate the area of town he's in.  Lock and Load just to get out of the truck.

Yeah its been mentioned, but they also don't have much of anything in that pawn area, unless its still all in the back waiting for the customers not to come buy it back...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I think I might go in there just as a little test.  I'm not going to act rude NOR am I going to act dumb and ask whether 9mm is better than .45.  I just want to see how he/they treat the young crowd(I'm 23).  

We'll see what happens.  I'll post my findings in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I think I might go in there just as a little test.  I'm not going to act rude NOR am I going to act dumb and ask whether 9mm is better than .45.  I just want to see how he/they treat the young crowd(I'm 23).  

That's the spirit! Last time I was there, Shawn racked and dropped the slide on a new Colt, so why not try that while you're at the counter?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
That's the spirit! Last time I was there, Shawn racked and dropped the slide on a new Colt, so why not try that while you're at the counter? hr

I can see it now:

I go in, ask to see a few items, somebody disrespects me because I'm a "young punk", a yelling match ensues and all of a sudden we're in a mexican standoff.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's the spirit! Last time I was there, Shawn racked and dropped the slide on a new Colt, so why not try that while you're at the counter?

I can see it now:

I go in, ask to see a few items, somebody disrespects me because I'm a "young punk", a yelling match ensues and all of a sudden we're in a mexican standoff.  

Tag for pics!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

bring a recorder-- I did.... but I don't think I saved the audio.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see it now:

If you are bothered that much when someone "disrespects" you... you might be a "young punk" and deserve what you get.  Has that ever crossed your mind?  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

2 observations...

1) Your CCW isn't always loaded?
2) If it's that bad of a neighborhood, maybe you should go to the new Cabela's?  It's pretty remote up there, and they habla engrish.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's the spirit! Last time I was there, Shawn racked and dropped the slide on a new Colt, so why not try that while you're at the counter? hr

I can see it now:

If you are bothered that much when someone "disrespects" you... you might be a "young punk" and deserve what you get.  Has that ever crossed your mind?  h.gif

I was just speaking in jest about it.  I don't think I've ever been described as a "young punk" but if I am a paying customer, and was treated the way some folks mentioned in the thread, I would feel pretty disrespected.  The whole thing about a member driving an hour each way only to have the guy say, "For you?  Never."

Run a business how you want.  If you don't like the store, don't go, simple as that, but I think it goes beyond bad business sense and boils down to the fact that the owner seems to be disrespecting customers almost like he has a "right" to just because he does a large distributor business.

I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that if the owner went into where I work, and I or another sales person were nothing short of extremely courteous, he would raise all kinds of hell.  Think if he came in to buy a TV and I walked up, cancelled the transaction, tore up his receipt and said, "Not today bud."
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Why doesn't that surprise me?  You actually go into situations wanting them to turn ugly.  Dear Lord.  So you record your phone conversations AND your face to face business transactions?  WTF is wrong with you man?  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why doesn't that surprise me?  You actually go into situations wanting them to turn ugly.  Dear Lord.  So you record your phone conversations AND your face to face business transactions?  WTF is wrong with you man?  

Now you are just making shit up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Everything negative about them is right on with the experiences I've had with Bachman.  They can kiss my ass, I'll never buy squat from them again.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How am I making shit up???  This is your SECOND post where you stated you recorded a conversation.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I've been attending Gun Shows in the Dallas area since about 1986.

And I have the 'dealer badges' to prove it.

I know most of the gun dealers in this area, personally, having dealt with them for the past 20 years or so.

Bachman's today is not the same as it was 10 years ago, nor are just about any of the other gun dealers.

Some came, some went, some are still here.

And everyone of those gun dealers has a personality. Some great, some good, some really messed up.

Whenever I deal with any dealer nowadays, I simply look at the deal.

If it's good, I will do it. If not, I won't.

I try not to allow 'personalities' figure into whether a deal is good or not.

Eric The(ColdReasoning)Hun
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Like most people that go to gun shows in Dallas/Houston I have bought several firearms from Bachman. They usually have the flat out best prices and even when I was working with a dealer and we did all the gun shows, Bachman was selling stuff below what a small dealer could get it for. Having said that, I've aged and come to realise that price is not every thing. I am now willing to pay a good friend dealer (who has a shop in Conroe) slightly higher prices since he will order me what ever I want and is willing to do my C3 transfers.  Try this with Bachamn or most kitchen table dealers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 observations...

1) Your CCW isn't always loaded?
2) If it's that bad of a neighborhood, maybe you should go to the new Cabela's?  It's pretty remote up there, and they habla engrish.  hr

1. It's a figure of speech.

2. Didn't mean to offend you.  I didn't realize you lived right around the corner from his store.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How am I making shit up???  This is your SECOND post where you stated you recorded a conversation.  

Nobody said I record all my phone conversations, or face to face transactions, as you implied.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mm

...And Dealers whine about how the net is killing their business

Well, it sure isn't *helping* their business.

That said, the way to create a market niche off the net is to........ be what the net can not be, and do what the net can not do.

First off: Don't compete on price, if you can't compete on price (and still feed your family).

Of course, this advice doesn't explicitly apply to Bachman.  They already have their own niche carved out.  And, apparently, good/consistent customer service does not factor into the equation.  That's (more or less) their right.

But for all the others, take note.  Please.  I'd *rather* buy from a person, not a net.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Wise_Jack,
    You hit the nail on the head.  
People WILL pay MORE to buy from a real person in a real building,
If you have good CS/Sales skills you can pull this off...
OTOH if you have poor CS/Sales skills then this approach won't work and you better get back to the down and dirty deals (selling only on price).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#49]
You're right, Tonster.  Bad CS is [in almost all cases] *not* a sustainable activity/practice for a business.

Thus far, Bachman has proven themselves to be an exception, rather then the rule (though not entirely, as there are other folks who work there providing OK to excellent CS).  Only time will truly tell, however.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I went by Bachman's today having forgotten about this thread and I was reminded of exactly why I will never do business with them again. Here is today's experience and it mirrors that of several previous trips there.

I walk in with a few very specific questions and an intent to purchase a handgun. I think most of them recognize me as I've been in several times recently and have spent about $1500 there in the last 6 weeks. There are 4 workers and 3 customers. Worker A comes to help me and answers a few questions. A customer wants to make a purchase so worker B starts doing paperwork. Worker C leaves for lunch break. Worker A walks away from me in the middle of a discussion to take over paperwork for Worker B while she gets on phone for background check. I wait about 5 minutes before going to worker D to ask a question. He is leaning against a shelf staring out the front door. He says, "she'll be off the phone in a minute" and walks into the back not to be seen again. I wait another 5 minutes and finally leave.

This is so typical of every experience I've had there and I'm sorry I conducted business with them in the past. I will not be going back. There are too many other shops in Dallas that will be happy to help out a customer. I was also in Ray's and DFW Gun Range and got much more friendly assistance although both were more busy with fewer workers. I know where I'll be doing business from now on.

Spread the word.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top