Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Don't blame tracers-- that's someone else's trademark (edited to remove name )

That fire wasn't caused by tracers--- I bet you'd never guess what caused it.

Some of us talk to Ralph-- talked to him Saturday in fact.

CnL has/had been working on some basic signs, like hearing protection required, etc.

However, the owner, Ralph, mentioned Saturday that Bump Firing WILL have to stop.

Wow, I heard the fire was started after someone shot out a POWER LINE.

And that AROCK was seen departing the area forthwith.  Just a rumor though......

TXL
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When did this happen, and was there an incident that prompted it?  How was this announced?

Extremely high winds.

Announced by Ralph, Saturday.

<snip>

However, the owner, Ralph, mentioned Saturday that Bump Firing WILL have to stop.

Ok, I am not arguing.  And I agree that bump firing is dangerous.  However, what does bump firing have to do with high winds?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok, I am not arguing.  And I agree that bump firing is dangerous.  However, what does bump firing have to do with high winds?

well, now that some idiot has revealed the power line issue (could it be there was a reason for not posting it???), I guess I will tell ya before someone starts making up rumors of what happened...

After inspection of the power line that caused a HUGE fire, there were *at least* 3 nicks in it according to Ralph, and it is believed that bump firing could be the #1 cause of those nicks, which weakened the line. The winds were VERY (that's not yelling, its just bold caps to emphasize) strong Saturday, and it is believed, coincidentally, that the line snapped due to a possbile weaknesses.

It was obviously a freak accident-- I don't think anyone who was out there intentionally tried to shoot the line.

I have some theories on what else could have caused it, but who knows...

maybe ricochets after hitting the burm could have possibly nicked or cut the line. GPSR and other places do not allow FMJ because they say it will bounce/roll up. (this makes sense too)

or maybe previous shooters to the range may have took shots at birds on the wire, causing nicks to weaken the line.

etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, now that some idiot has revealed the power line issue (could it be there was a reason for not posting it???), I guess I will tell ya before someone starts making up rumors of what happened...

After inspection of the power line that caused a HUGE fire, there were *at least* 3 nicks in it according to Ralph, and it is believed that bump firing could be the #1 cause of those nicks, which weakened the line. The winds were VERY (that's not yelling, its just bold caps to emphasize) strong Saturday, and it is believed, coincidentally, that the line snapped due to a possbile weaknesses.

It was obviously a freak accident-- I don't think anyone who was out there intentionally tried to shoot the line.

I have some theories on what else could have caused it, but who knows...

maybe ricochets after hitting the burm could have possibly nicked or cut the line. GPSR and other places do not allow FMJ because they say it will bounce/roll up. (this makes sense too)

or maybe previous shooters to the range may have took shots at birds on the wire, causing nicks to weaken the line.

etc.

That makes perfect sense....   Where is this power line?  Behind the berm?

In any case, I agree.... bump firing has it's place.... but unless you have very high berms, well practiced shooters, and very close to those berms..... bump firing and F/A fire should be regulated.  I have no problem at all with these requirements.  Tom Bean is a great place to shoot, and I support *almost* any rules that are effected in order to make sure it stays open.

Now - if they say "no FMJ" ammo.... I will never see the place again.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am sure a close inspection could reveal if it was broken as a result of an old impact, or a recent 'dead center' strike.

Agreed. However, we weren't privy to the details of the wire, but they indicated that with the old nicks in it, the wind probably brought it down.

That should be easy enough to prove.  If someone raised a rifle/pistol above the berm, the Range Safety Officer should have noticed

There are no range officers at this range.

But, determining that bump firing is the cause is a stretch, if you ask me.

I totally agree, but its not my range, nor my decision. I am just a messenger.

The people on site when the fire broke out were helping put out the fire, right?  They didn't just grab their gear and beat feet like a guilty party?

A charged powerline is bad ju-ju, but I would think that the people on site should have been able to knock down a grassfire pretty quickly.  Especially if they saw the event unfold.

After the kids who were shooting told us the line went down, it was too late. The entire back side of the burm was covered in flames, and spreading fast with the high winds.

Also, I wouldn't go near any downed power line...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That makes perfect sense....   Where is this power line?  Behind the berm?

Behind the berm, maybe about 20 yards?
(video, you can barely see the wire: http://media.putfile.com/tannerite_GETSUM)

It is right in line with the berm, set back a little.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#11]
fuck you
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
fuck you

whoa, thats a bit harsh dont you think?????
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
fuck you

After being called an idiot?  I think it is approriate.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
fuck you

After being called an idiot?  I think it is approriate.

sorry, thats what I get for not reading looooooooooong posts

I try to stay out of everybodies way here, we are all like a bunch of bitches at a beauty salon.......

Desperate Arfcommers
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
sorry, thats what I get for not reading looooooooooong posts

I try to stay out of everybodies way here, we are all like a bunch of bitches at a beauty salon.......

Desperate Arfcommers

he's just got sand in his vagina cus I did the same to him in another thread since he was already bashing me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Are they  going to bill Ralph for the damage to the line?  

I hope not. However, I was there this evening, and noticed what someone had told me that was out there yesterday. Apparently, it looks like they inspected all the lines and *it appears* there are several patches on various lines....

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Are they  going to bill Ralph for the damage to the line?  

Any outside line repair is considered mtce work that comes with the rediculous bill we pay each month just
as it would with your outside phone or cable service.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top