Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 8:23:12 AM EDT
Well???
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#1]
what about it??? What do you want to know... I know a cool rock quarry you can sneak into... :D

its HUGE...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Dry - flat  -  
Watch the movie "FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS"

All you need to know.

Town still looks like it does in the movie  -but there are newer, nicer areas , etc.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Last I recall, only being away from Midland a couple years, then going back, they totally expanded with tons of restaurants, new roads, etc. Now its been about 8 years, and I bet a lot more has changed...

PS: as I told you in chat-- Live in Midland, commute to Odessa
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#4]
So is the place that insignificant???

I could have sworn we had a member out that way.  Hmm...  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Last time I was in Odessa was when I was diving thru from CA on my way to Dallas. I blinked and missed it.

What a coincidence!

Last time I was in Odessa was when I was driving thru from Dallas on my way to CA!  I blinked and then I opened my eyes back up

Seriously though, work is progressing better than I expected and I am being considered for a management position in Odessa.  This would require relocation (DUh!)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
My ex-roomate is from there.  Doesnt sound like anything spectacular, but he liked it.

Fucking flat, dry, no trees, and hot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm from Midland.

What do you want to know about the place?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The people out that way are great, but that tap water isn't what you want to drink on a dry, dusty afternoon...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The people out that way are great, but that tap water isn't what you want to drink on a dry, dusty afternoon...

And you can tell who's lived there since they were kids-- teeth will have dark yellow spots/lines in them...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to live in Wildflower Apartments... and went to school at MC and UTPB...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you can tell who's lived there since they were kids-- teeth will have dark yellow spots/lines in them...

Word.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#14]
No doubt.  I grew up in Midland but we had well water at my house.  I know people that have stained teeth from city water having too much flouride in it.

People in Mildand/Odessa area are very nice and it is a very conservative area.  The area sucks as far as location goes but it's a good place to raise kids and live if you don't mind travelling to go do anything worth doing.

I don't know if it's still there but there was a nice shooting range south of the airport.

There is a lot of money in the area which means there are some very nice neighborhoods to live in.  And the cost of living is substantially lower than a lot of places in Texas which means you can get more house for your money.

I moved to Austin and don't miss the area at all.  But I have nothing bad to say about growing up there.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't know if it's still there but there was a nice shooting range south of the airport.

Last I recall, that place was going downhill, and I think became membership only... also, the cool rock quarry, although there are MANY in the area, the one I was referring to is also near that range ...

PS: Did you go to school there, or anything? what years were you there? Maybe we crossed paths.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Lived 21 years in Odessa, people are nice, cost of living is low and great Mexican food. My whole family still lives there. It’s hot during the summer and cold during the winter. It’s dusty and the wind blows all the time. The Super Cell Thunderstorms will scare the shit out of you. Having said that, what I pay in rent on a apartment in Austin, I can buy a nice house in Odessa. Good schools too the best infrastructure of any city I have been to, it was very thought out. If you go live in Midland work in Odessa.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, so far it sounds like it's not too bad.

I like the fact that it's about 250 miles from El Paso, and just a couple hours from Carlsbad, NM.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lived 21 years in Odessa, people are nice, cost of living is low and great Mexican food. My whole family still lives there. It’s hot during the summer and cold during the winter. It’s dusty and the wind blows all the time. The Super Cell Thunderstorms will scare the shit out of you. Having said that, what I pay in rent on a apartment in Austin, I can buy a nice house in Odessa. Good schools too the best infrastructure of any city I have been to, it was very thought out. If you go live in Midland work in Odessa.

See.... I'm not the only one that agrees...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See.... I'm not the only one that agrees...

Ya'll are a bunch of yuppies

I've decided if I get out there, I shall attempt to find accomidations outside of the city limits (that's in the countryside for you McKinney types ).  Thanks for all the info / comments posted though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

PS: Did you go to school there, or anything? what years were you there? Maybe we crossed paths.

I graduated from Midland Lee in 87.  Moved to Austin to do to school and thought I had moved to the promised land.  Water, hills and trees everywhere.

When and where did you go to high school?  If it was around the same time we probably know some of the same people.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
When and where did you go to high school?  If it was around the same time we probably know some of the same people.

I arrived in Midland just after high school in Summer 1990. Knew many people, went back & forth to TTU, MC, and UTPB. Knew many people in both Odessa and Midland-- used to go to Odessa for entire weekends and party all night long, hit the clubs, thro parties at ppls houses, hotels, etc... or go to parties on land/ranches out in the middle of nowhere with lots of kickers... hehe I didn't really fit in, but they didn't mind.

ahh the memories you forget, then remember... hehe
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Last I recall, only being away from Midland a couple years, then going back, they totally expanded with tons of restaurants, new roads, etc. Now its been about 8 years, and I bet a lot more has changed...

PS: as I told you in chat-- Live in Midland, commute to Odessa

Bingo.  Otherwise known as: "The Gospel Truth".

For most of us, anyway.  nationwide, you'd probably like Odessa, though.  It's like one big truckstop.  

Ex-roommate of mine went to Permian; he played football at Texas Tech.  I always thought he hated it, but last I talked to him (about six months ago), he's back in town.  :shrug:

I've also got a cousin there.  It's only 117 mi away, but I've still only been there once.  Not planning on heading down there anytime soon, either.

I did meet some really, *really* nice people when I was there, though.  You're right on, though, about wanting to live out of town.  Just make sure there are some evergreen trees for windbreak around the property, though.  Can't remember what the name of the tree is, but they're like giant juniper berry bushes.  20, 30 ft tall.  Those are the ones you want.

I was just thinking when I was between Dumas and Pampa this weekend, that if I had a house and acreage up there (or Slowdeatha, or anywhere in West Texas or the Panhandle), I would plant them in three rows all the way around the property and stagger the placement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top