Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 6:57:39 PM EDT
M193 or M855.

I just moved here from MS, and any input would be appreciated. Also, where is the best blasting/plinking range? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the area.

You would need to tell us where abouts you are living to get better information.

The local gun shows which you missed one this weekend are the best place for bulk ammo unless
some of the local stores have a sale which has not been to often lately.

This forum is a great resource for information and we have lots of fun too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
M193 or M855.

I just moved here from MS, and any input would be appreciated. Also, where is the best blasting/plinking range? Thanks.

I buy from Dallas Reloading Service.  DFW Gun Range is indoors, black rifle and class 3 friendly and carries handguns, shotguns, AR's accessories and gear.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I know some dont like it, but I always hit Cheaper Than Dirt when Im in the area.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Academy has been carrying Winchester Q3131 lately for $4.23/box.  Comes out to $211.50/1000.  That's really about as good as you're gonna get around here.  I'm not even sure if you can get it online for any less than that.

A lot of folks also seem to like cleaning out Wally World of their WWB .223 value packs whenever they have them in.  They're $7.73 per box of 40.

There's one ammo dealer that's usually at all the local shows (has a black & red WOLF banner over his table) who usually keeps two or three full cases of Q3131 on the table for $225.  He was also selling Wolf .223 for $115/case at the Denton show this past weekend.

Another dealer at the shows usually has Silver Bear, reloads, and he had some Adcom at this last show.

A lot of ranges around here won't allow the use of FMJ ammo.  Those that do include the Collin County Gun Range east of McKinney, Gibson's Outpost in Mesquite, and TDSA south of Dallas which is a members-only range.  Here's more info on D/FW area ranges.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You would need to tell us where abouts you are living to get better information.

Thanks for all the info.

I am in the Tarrant County/Bedford area.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI, I was at Cheaper Than Dirt yesterday and they mainly just had S&B and Wolf in .223.  I know they stock the ammo shelve often so you may want to call.

I also like Sportsman's Warehouse in Lewisville.  Everytime I've been there, they'v always had over a case of Q3131.

R.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Academy has been carrying Winchester Q3131 lately for $4.23/box.  Comes out to $211.50/1000.  That's really about as good as you're gonna get around here.  I'm not even sure if you can get it online for any less than that.

A lot of folks also seem to like cleaning out Wally World of their WWB .223 value packs whenever they have them in.  They're $7.73 per box of 40.

There's one ammo dealer that's usually at all the local shows (has a black & red WOLF banner over his table) who usually keeps two or three full cases of Q3131 on the table for $225.  He was also selling Wolf .223 for $115/case at the Denton show this past weekend.

Another dealer at the shows usually has Silver Bear, reloads, and he had some Adcom at this last show.

A lot of ranges around here won't allow the use of FMJ ammo.  Those that do include the Collin County Gun Range east of McKinney, Gibson's Outpost in Mesquite, and TDSA south of Dallas which is a members-only range.  Here's more info on D/FW area ranges.

The Bullet Trap in Plano allows FMJ, just FYI.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

FYI-- Academy recently raised all their prices on ammo-- not sure if Q3131 was affected.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll have to check next time I'm in there.  Just two weeks ago, I bought 300rds of Q3131 at $4.23/box and another 500rds of WWB 9mm at $4.86/box.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Contact Southwest Ammunition in Mesquite.  They carry Wolf and at times Lake City & Win. Q3131.  Don't know about their prices.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#11]
There is always the Bass Pro blowout.  $144 per 1K of Q3131, doesnt happen often and you gotta get there early!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'll have to check next time I'm in there.  Just two weeks ago, I bought 300rds of Q3131 at $4.23/box and another 500rds of WWB 9mm at $4.86/box.

On Saturday they said they changed the prices the Wednesday before last....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There is always the Bass Pro blowout.  $144 per 1K of Q3131, doesnt happen often and you gotta get there early!!

Price matching is your friend, but this hasn't happend in quite some time...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I buy from Dallas Reloading Service.    

+1 Great guys. Just got 1000 rds of 55g 5.56 for $150 at the last show. I've never had a problem of any kind with their ammo. Burns real clean too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Great guys. Just got 1000 rds of 55g 5.56 for $150 at the last show. I've never had a problem of any kind with their ammo. Burns real clean too.

I have-- bought one case of soft points a couple years ago (1997/1998?). Several were duds, and my AR wasn't lightly striking the primers either... was a problem with the ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have-- bought one case of soft points a couple years ago (1997/1998?). Several were duds, and my AR wasn't lightly striking the primers either... was a problem with the ammo.

Honestly - you would be the first person I have ever heard this from.

Any commercial reloader can have issues, for sure.... but Dallas reloading *in .223* has a stellar reputation for quality and reliability.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I've used Dallas Reloading in 223 and 9mm. A few thousand of each without any problems.

I thought the 9mm was a little light, but it still function in my AR and handguns, but the 223 softpoints was extremely accurate out of my 20" varmint gun.

I wouldn't hesitate for practice/blasting ammo, and save your good stuff for a bad news day.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Any commercial reloader can have issues, for sure.... but Dallas reloading *in .223* has a stellar reputation for quality and reliability.

Maybe they have a "stellar reputation" for you, but that still doesn't mean I didn't have issues. It was my FIRST case of .223 I ever bought, at Market Hall, right after I bought my brand new pre-ban, and was told local ranges don't allow FMJ, so I bought these... After finishing off the case, I never bought more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe they have a "stellar reputation" for you, but that still doesn't mean I didn't have issues. It was my FIRST case of .223 I ever bought, at Market Hall, right after I bought my brand new pre-ban, and was told local ranges don't allow FMJ, so I bought these... After finishing off the case, I never bought more.

In all fairness Mike, that was nearly a decade ago.  ;)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In all fairness Mike, that was nearly a decade ago.  ;)

That's why I put the date
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Maybe they have a "stellar reputation" for you, but that still doesn't mean I didn't have issues.

Just curious,  but is there anyone you haven't had issues with??

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe they have a "stellar reputation" for you, but that still doesn't mean I didn't have issues.

Now that was as rhetorical as it gets....

I have always liked dallas reloading.  Their 55gr vmax is pretty darn accurate as well.

Their 55gr fmj is good shit.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a clue-- Didn't have "issues" with anyone here-- just some bad ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Now that was as rhetorical as it gets....

TXL

At least my humor wasn't lost on everyone...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top