Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 6:22:55 PM EDT
I need some help. I want to remove the front sight of my rifle and get a flip up front sight. I will pay someone to do the gunsmithing for me if possible, I'm not sure of any local gunsmith that I know of whom I would trust with my AR.

I also would like to know what parts I need to purchase to do this. Any replies would be a huge help.

My gun is a Colt 6731 with the Surefire Modular rail .

CMB
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Yankee Hill front sight that flips up.  Although I'm disgusted to have something call "Yankee" on my rifle, it does work fine.  I bought it from the Model 1 people at the Market Hall show.

Changing the sight is REALLY easy.  I'm sure FALARAK has probably got a visual walkthrough somewhere on this website. (BTW, FALARAK, thanks for the two stage trigger tutorial).

R.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Changing the sight is REALLY easy.  I'm sure FALARAK has probably got a visual walkthrough somewhere on this website. (BTW, FALARAK, thanks for the two stage trigger tutorial).

Yeah, changing the front sight isn't too terribly difficult if you're comfortable tinkering with your rifle.  Chances are someone can walk you through it.  Heck, you may even find a local lister kind enough to meet up with you for personal assistance.

But you asked for local smiths who can handle AR stuff.  If that is what you want, take a look at Lone Star Wholesale.  They are up in the Denton/The Colony area, and Robbie posts here on the list as "roseco."  He is at most of the area shows selling stuff for ARs and 1911s, and offers a range of gunsmithing services at his shop.

There are a ton of different flip-up front sights available and I don't own any of them, so I'll let someone else answer that question.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
where you at?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]
If you need help, I've got the tools and a place to work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#5]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

If you are chicken to do the work yourself I will be happy to do it for you.  Your Colt uses tapered FSB pins, so you just have to support the barrel/FSB, knock the pins out, knock the gas tube roll pin out, remove FSB, remove gas tube from old FSB, install a good flip up sight, and install gas tube roll pin.

Is your surefire rail the 2 piece non FF kind that is easily removed?  If so, that makes the job a lot easier.

I recommend the PRI flip sight... but YHM is good do, and half the price.

IM/Email me if you want to come by my place to do the work... I will teach you how.  I am in Plano.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry guys, I have been really busy and have not been able to check back on this posting.

I DO NEED someone to help me with this. I have no work bench or clamp. I would prefer to find someone local that has the parts and can do it for me.

Roscoe or whomever my cell is 214 585 2347 and if you could call and give me an estimate or a place and time we can meet. that would dbe great.

I live in Prosper, just north of Frisco/Plano
East of Denton, West of McKinney.

Clint Barr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top