Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 4:39:22 PM EDT
I posted this on the AR Discussions.  

I was in the Colt M16 armorer's course at Irving PD today and the instructor was interrupted by a phone call letting him know that Colt was being purchased or has been purchased by General Dynamics (Land Systems I assume).  Just FYI for anyone who gives a damn.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
 wonderful.....

GD also seems to have policy of not selling to civilians too.

mm
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Irving PD

Everytime someone mentions Irving PD, I remember Aubrey Hawkins.  I also remember how close I was to the tragedy that unfolded the night of death.

If I knew how to post that smiley with the flag at half mast, I would.

Sorry for the hijack

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Irving PD

Everytime someone mentions Irving PD, I remember Aubrey Hawkins.  I also remember how close I was to the tragedy that unfolded the night of death.

Sorry for the hijack

That is by no means a hijack.  If there is some good news to be had, one of the Dallas officers who was shot last year (obviously the one who lived) was transferred to the DPD range training staff.  I don't work for DPD, this was told to me by a guy from DPD in the class.  Hopefully his experiences will be shared with new recruits as well as veterans as a reminder of how we dog-shooting, innocent citizen beating, jack booted thugs (see General Discussion if you want to puke) live a dangerous life.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 wonderful.....

GD also seems to have policy of not selling to civilians too.

mm

Ummm...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=29&t=149078

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=29&t=146473&page=7

And from the EE
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=281509

That took three minutes.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ummm...

And from the EE

That took three minutes.

Sheesh, it was a joke.  Colt hasn't been bought by GD.  It might be in the future, but there are no SEC filings listed.  GD did buy Saco Defense Corp recently.

At every local gun show you literally see piles of new Colt rifles and GD GAU-19s for sale.

mm
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Irving PD

Sorry for the hijack

That is by no means a hijack.  If there is some good news to be had, one of the Dallas officers who was shot last year (obviously the one who lived) was transferred to the DPD range training staff.  I don't work for DPD, this was told to me by a guy from DPD in the class.  Hopefully his experiences will be shared with new recruits as well as veterans as a reminder of how we dog-shooting, innocent citizen beating, jack booted thugs (see General Discussion if you want to puke) live a dangerous life.

I'm guessing that would be the Flousche's(I hope I'm spelling the last name correctly).  Since the oldest Fousche retired, he comes in to talk to the recruits and relay his experiences with them.  He was/is a cops cop, no way around it.

One of the Flousches was in a bad car wreck a good while ago, and was in a coma up to his recent passing.

The youngest Flousche was shot in the line of duty 2 or 3 years ago while trying to get some kids from a coked up, shotgun wielding, lunatic.  He and two other officer were shot by psycho, but they got most of the kids out.  At the time of the shooting, he was right handed, but because of a nasty wound he received from that 12 gauge blast, he is know left handed, and qualifies as expert.  I didnt know he is now range master, but if he is, I'm sure it has to do with that wound received.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ummm...

And from the EE

That took three minutes.

Sheesh, it was a joke.  Colt hasn't been bought by GD.  It might be in the future, but there are no SEC filings listed.  GD did buy Saco Defense Corp recently.

At every local gun show you literally see piles of new Colt rifles and GD GAU-19s for sale.

mm

Why?  Because it isn't on the internet?  I'm not going to argue with you.  I'm telling you that Ken Elmore of Special Armaments, instructor of the Colt M16 Armorer's course held at Irving Police Department in Irving, TX said yesterday after being interrupted by a phone call during class, "Huh.  General Dynamics bought Colt.  I guess I work for General Dynamics now."  That's all I know and wanted to pass along to anyone who keeps up with that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Why?  Because it isn't on the internet?  I'm not going to argue with you.  I'm telling you that Ken Elmore of Special Armaments, instructor of the Colt M16 Armorer's course held at Irving Police Department in Irving, TX said yesterday after being interrupted by a phone call during class, "Huh.  General Dynamics bought Colt.  I guess I work for General Dynamics now."  That's all I know and wanted to pass along to anyone who keeps up with that kind of stuff.

Is it on the internet?  I called and talked to Phebe Novakovic.  Colt Holdings and GD may have come to an agreement on the sale of Colt, but the actual sale hasn't occured....and that's what i said.

mm
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Their AR's are still overpriced regardless of buyout status.

IMHO

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#11]
probably a good thing
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

IMHO

Really?  Two weeks ago I officially contacted Bushmaster, Colt, and Rock River for a 16-gun department purchase.  Bushmaster was waaaaay more expensive and RR only beat Colt by $60 in an almost $13K purchase quote.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO

+1

+2 Cut out the middle man, buy a Stag.

wganz
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Really?  Two weeks ago I officially contacted Bushmaster, Colt, and Rock River for a 16-gun department purchase.  Bushmaster was waaaaay more expensive and RR only beat Colt by $60 in an almost $13K purchase quote.  

The Dallas PD purchase of AR rifles was pretty much the same way.  I think they may have actually larger margin because the purchase order also requested hard cases, optical sights, tactical slings, and a few other items.  The original PO was for Colts, it was bid on by Davidson's, RRA, Colt and one other company that just wanted to sell the cases.  RRA didn't beat Davidson's or Colt by much, and if it was for rifles only I believe the margin would have been less.

mm
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#16]
different models have different prices.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Really?

Are you an FFL?

Did you try Armalite?

I remember seeing an Armalite bid on the purchase too.  IIRC they were almost $300 more per rifle than RRA.

mm
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Are you an FFL?

Did you try Armalite?

I remember seeing an Armalite bid on the purchase too.  IIRC they were almost $300 more per rifle than RRA.

mm

That's why I didn't even mess with them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's why I didn't even mess with them.

Maybe....just maybe....with GD's money....they might just start having regular production, instead of custom shop, double action revolvers again.

maybe

mm
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Colt  Defense ("CD") was split from Colt’s Manufacturing Company ("CM") in 2002.  CD makes and sells the military/law enforcement models, and CM does civilian models.  CD filed a registration statement with SEC in June of 2005 to IPO, but no further news has been issued, which indicates that the company might be trying to sell itself to a private buyer.  General Dynamics did buy the Canadian ammo manufacturer from Colt in 2000.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top