Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/23/2006 1:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 1:41:24 PM EDT by caduckgunner]
I have a question regarding house builders in Texas. My fiancee and I are looking at houses in the Greenville area. We have yet to see anything that really matches what we are looking for. How are the custom home builders charging in the area? We are looking for a 1500-2000 sq. ft house with a basement and a wrap around porch. Has anyone has a house buildt lately? I know it is a vauge question. Thanks.

Marc
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:36:49 PM EDT
Gonna be tough getting a basement here. For some strange reason that no one seems to know for sure, they just don't build basements around here very much.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 1:46:00 PM EDT by caduckgunner]

Originally Posted By TexasEd:
Gonna be tough getting a basement here. For some strange reason that no one seems to know for sure, they just don't build basements around here very much.

Ed

Y a I have seen that. I found 1 mobile home that a elderlcouple owned with a basement/emergency shelter. Seems weird sience there are tornados there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:57:03 PM EDT
I know in central TX there is so much limestone it isexpensive just to get a septic dug. Don't know what it is like there though. Would be good in case of a tornado, which we do have a lot of.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:03:51 PM EDT
In a lot of places in Texas, there are no basements because of the high water table. Makes a basement an indoor swimming pool...fullclip
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:38:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fullclip:
In a lot of places in Texas, there are no basements because of the high water table. Makes a basement an indoor swimming pool...fullclip

And the damned limestone!

Trying to plant a tree is an all day experience half the time!

Rock Bar,
Pick,
Shovel,
& Backhoe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:41:29 AM EDT
Basements are probably rare in Texas. People used to build underground storm shelters, but I thing the going thing now is a safe room in the house. Where they pick a certain room to be built above standard. Stronger/thicker walls to be more tornado proof.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:57:57 AM EDT
Basements are more common up north because they are necessary. You must put your foundation below the frost line or else when winter comes the freeze thaw cycle will kill your foundation. Since the frost line is approx. 6 inches down here in the south basements are not needed.

I'm sure you can find someone who will build you one, but then you run into the problems mentioned above (limestone, watertable, etc.) and it will start to add up pretty quickly.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:17:00 AM EDT
We are in the middle of building a house right now. The going rate is right around $85.00 a square ft, depending on how fancy you go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:40:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 10:43:32 AM EDT by Johninaustin]
We built in the spring, moved in back in June. We were very lucky in finding a good independant builder that did not mind me haunting the worksite.

Add to that the fact my wife is an architect who got a lot of material discounts etc. (All the floor and counter ceramic tile was free) We saved so much that way that we could afford other upgrades such as solar windows and gun safe recesses into the wall.

It came out to about $90 Sq/Ft and took three months from the date of the lot purchase.

BTW: All the houses in my subdivision are built on solid limestone. I can't imagine how much a basement would cost. Just digging the septic was 9K.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:28:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:
We built in the spring, moved in back in June. We were very lucky in finding a good independant builder that did not mind me haunting the worksite.

Add to that the fact my wife is an architect who got a lot of material discounts etc. (All the floor and counter ceramic tile was free) We saved so much that way that we could afford other upgrades such as solar windows and gun safe recesses into the wall.

It came out to about $90 Sq/Ft and took three months from the date of the lot purchase.

BTW: All the houses in my subdivision are built on solid limestone. I can't imagine how much a basement would cost. Just digging the septic was 9K.

By way of comparison my total septic system is $3500. just north of houston in Sandy clay stuff
(conventional system)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 1:13:52 PM EDT by tvone]
When I lived just south of Dallas, planting a tree was a job for professionals. It took a crew 3 hours to put a tree in my backyard. The limestone was about 4 inches below the top of the soil. I remember marking the spot for the tree. They gave me a wooden stake and told me to pound it into the ground and mark the spot.

It went in about 3 " and stopped. You could feel the hit on our porch. They ended up using a giant drill bit on a backhoe and a jackhammer.

I thought they were crazy for charging $300 for the hole at first. Afterwards, they earned it.

We used an independent builder on our current house. We built in Arlington, between Dallas and Fort Worth. Land is pricey, but we ended up around $90 a sq. foot also.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:21:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tvone:
When I lived just south of Dallas, planting a tree was a job for professionals. It took a crew 3 hours to put a tree in my backyard. The limestone was about 4 inches below the top of the soil. I remember marking the spot for the tree. They gave me a wooden stake and told me to pound it into the ground and mark the spot.[ /quote]

I installed 5 40 gal trees.

took me three days to get them all situated and installed.

there was a 6" limestone shelf, and below that was a hard clay shelf, followed by a soft clay shelf and then big fucking boulders I had to have moved by heavy equipment.

Trees look good though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:49:56 PM EDT
Thanks for the replys everyone. We were looking for a basement for storage as well as a tornado protection place. Hopefully we can find a place with good dirt and lower water table.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:25:27 PM EDT
Check out the TRCC 1-877 651-8722. They can help you out with building your own home. There is a house in Trinity Gardens,Benbrook, TX under construction with a Basement.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:26:19 AM EDT
caduckgunner

Are you going to work for L-Cubed?

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:24:41 PM EDT
In E. Texas - my family dug a storm shelter back in the 60's. About 4 foot down.... water. It was a mess and they gave up and poured a porch over it.

Later, we buried a fuel tanker tank underground.... totally sealed. Even that started seeping over time and humidity and water buildup was a real problem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:50:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TexasEd:

Ed

I was wondering the same thing when I moved here, specially with severe weather we have..

What I was told is due to the type of ground..frigging black clay, its hard and if any of you have dug around a real bitch to deal with. It shifts alot specially when it drys out..thus the foundation problems many experience when they dont keep their found ground damp enough during these dry time.

If there were any basements or even storm shelters the walls would just crack up and become unsafe.

I put a soaker hose around my foundation, up against the wall and run that for a few hours every other day when its warmer out..this is also what my builder had suggested.

My 2 cents.
Top Top