Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
Well I've got a birthday coming up, and I am faced with a dilemma. Firearms which could cost around $800 or motorcycle parts for $550? I know this shouldn't be a difficult decision for any ARF.comer, but I need some input.

Let me preface this debate by first saying that I live in the middle of Dallas, and I am not quite ready to begin building my AR. I am just an infant in the collection of firearms world, having only 3 credits to my name. Two of these credits are 9mm handguns, specifically a Walther P99 and a Taurus PT92. I have done some research into Silencer options for my guns, and it seems that AAC offers one that would run on both provided I used the same mount on both guns. Now here's where the situation gets sticky...

I have found, and really like the integrally suppressed Ruger MKII (model?), and it seems that for what it will cost me to buy and mount a 9mm I could purchase this complete Ruger. So the question is this one .22 vs my 2 9mms if you could ONLY get one.

The next problem I have is the problem of actually getting a non corporate silencer approved in Dallas, technically Addison. Is this possible, or will I be forced to incorporate?

Finally, I know some of you kind souls actually posses the items I am asking about, but I have been a bit shy about attending any of the recent shoots. Is there anyone in the DFW area who might let me sample some of their 'toys' some weekend? I'm afraid I don’t have anything nearly as cool to offer in return other than the pistols I mentioned above and a Mossberg 590.

I will thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide, and for reading what I now see to be an excessively long post.

Signed
Jakus (have pity on a low post count
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:36:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:47:28 PM EDT
Yeah, his P22 with a 9mm XXX Warrior attached is uber fun.

And before you start that "Who's got a belt-fed?" garbage, does it shoot?
But this does bring up a good point, we need to F1 a couple pistol cans.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:46:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:33:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:48:25 AM EDT
I just buy more than one can...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:59:49 AM EDT
Jakus, I'm in a similar situation -- I'm trying to settle on my first can purchase. Let me preface my thoughts by saying I don't know a whole lot about these things, so anyone please feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong...

You might think about this:
- you can shoot 22 through a 9mm can. So if you buy a 9mm can, you could always pick up a 22 and have it threaded to accept the 9mm can later. It won't be as quiet as a dedicated 22 can, but it will still be pretty quiet.

- if you get an integrally suppressed pistol, you can't swap the can between other guns. I know you don't have a big "stable" right now, but it's easier to acquire more guns than it is to get more cans. If you have a removable 22 can (or a 9mm can) you have more flexibility.

Now a question: Someone mentioned the XXX Warrior. I know it is (or can be) overbored to shoot 9mm as well as 5.56. Does that mean it can also shoot 7.62, or can it not handle the additional pressure?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:52:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:54:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
I own two warriors in 9mm. I use them in .308. Wet or dry they can handle the pressure.

I spoke to Mike Kloss (manf.) about shooting the Warriors, and what kind of abuse they could take. His response (paraphrased) "Lifetime warranty, if you blow it up I'll replace it."

TRG

Want to sell one?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:52:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:

Originally Posted By Locksmith76:
Yeah, his P22 with a 9mm XXX Warrior attached is uber fun.

And before you start that "Who's got a belt-fed?" garbage, does it shoot?
But this does bring up a good point, we need to F1 a couple pistol cans.

You got a suppressed .308? Yes, Rem.700

Suppressed .22-250?no

Multiple suppressed ARs in multiple calibers?Yes, .223, 9mm, .22

TRG

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:03:55 AM EDT
Top Top