Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 2:25:21 PM EDT
Never having been to the range at Tom Bean, I would like to know more about the actual range itself:
 1) how closely can one shoot?
 2) how far can one shoot?
 3) is there an official firing line(s)?
 4) how wide is the shooting line / berm?
 5) how high is the berm?
 6) how is the berm shaped?
     i.e. can one shoot 180 degrees (think Tiger Valley)? can one move and shoot?
 7) is the firing line grass, dirt, gravel, concrete?
 8) is there any sort of cover or shelter?  if so, then can one drive up to it?
 9) are there shooting positions, benches, tables for gear?

FALARAK, would this be a good range to bring and set up steel targets?  Why or why not?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Never having been to the range at Tom Bean, I would like to know more about the actual range itself:
 1) how closely can one shoot?
 2) how far can one shoot?
 3) is there an official firing line(s)?
 4) how wide is the shooting line / berm?
 5) how high is the berm?
 6) how is the berm shaped?
     i.e. can one shoot 180 degrees (think Tiger Valley)? can one move and shoot?
 7) is the firing line grass, dirt, gravel, concrete?
 8) is there any sort of cover or shelter?  if so, then can one drive up to it?
 9) are there shooting positions, benches, tables for gear?

FALARAK, would this be a good range to bring and set up steel targets?  Why or why not?

CNL will be along shortly, hopefully not in that mini-skirt...

anyway...

1)  0 yards
2) ~100 yds
3) yes...we'll have to move the line to go to the berm for short range work.
4) about 60-75 ft
5)  just high enough...about 15' or so...
6) no...it's flat all around with just a backstop
7) dirt and grass...can get a little muddy around berm after rain...
8)small cover...there is a little walk but not far.  about 50~60 feet from gravel parking lot.
9) nothing...bring your own.

Steel plates are commonplace at Ralphs...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You might also want to bring your own target stands. If there are any left they are usually shot all to hell.  You might not want to shoot more than 15-20 degrees off center at the berm due to several businesses and a high school to the right and a house to the left.

This seems to be one of the last un-restricted ranges left around here.  It's something of a local treasure. Please treat it that way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you shoot full auto there?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can you shoot full auto there?

We normally do...

The rule is to be responsible.  Mag dumps are discouraged unless you're close to the berm.

Make sure all your rounds hit the berm and you're good...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#6]
NO TRACERS!!!! (just ask Nationwide)
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
So pretty much everything you asked has been answered.

In short - this is a piece of flat land, with a flat dirt berm.  It is not a tac range, does not have a lot of typical public range stuff.  The biggest benefit of this range is that we are allowed to shoot rapid fire, NFA, and a little tannerite.  It is NOTHING like the TV tac pits.  

Moving and shooting is not possible, unless you were the only one that and set up your target stands very carefully.

The furthest typical shooting position/firing line is just over 100yds.  In the past, we have set up there.

For this shoot.... I would like to throw out an idea - we set up on the 50 yd line.  Most people are shooting offhand... rifles and pistols.  Shooting full auto from the 100yd line is very difficult to keep every round in the berm.... ground strikes will send it over the berm.   There is no real happy medium.  Target shooters will want to set up at the 100.  NFA, bump-firing, and pistol really should be done under 25.  Either that, or we could set up on the 100, and then just move to the 25 for NFA/bump.  I dunno.

As far as steel goes - yes, this place would be great for setting up some small steels.  Provided we were no closer than 100yds.... shooting steels with high velocity rifles under 100yds becomes a bit dangerous.  If we moved to the 50, thats a bit close, and our steel would get damaged by the .223 rounds.  We could set up steels for pistol only.... but someone always will shoot it with a rifle, not knowing any better.

Your call.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:30:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest this next shoot is just a blast-fest for LeonUK's benefit, and we should do all shooting at 25 yards to ensure no rounds go over the berm.  This wouldn't really be the time for target practice with rifles, per se, so no need to set up at 100 yards then.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:32:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Target stands....what type of wood do we need 1" by .5"? 6 ft material?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought it was ok to shoot .50BMG out there.  It doesn't sound like it would be safe or possible at all to bring the .50.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I thought it was ok to shoot .50BMG out there.  It doesn't sound like it would be safe or possible at all to bring the .50.

Sure you can.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#15]
You can bring the .50 BMG, just be very mindful of round placement.  You are strongly encourged to make sure your rounds hit the "meat" of the berm.  (think middle bottom)

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I can hit the meat.  Just never been there, so from the descriptions above I get the impression there is not a lot of room for error.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I can hit the meat.  Just never been there, so from the descriptions above I get the impression there is not a lot of room for error.

No room for error with hip fired weapons or mag dumps of rifle caliber size machineguns...

That's why we move the line forward...

If you're using a scoped BMG and can't hit an area 18'x10', then you probably shouldn't bring it to the range...

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NO TRACERS!!!! (just ask Nationwide)

tracers are ok as long as it has rained in the last DECADE !!!!!!!!!!

seriously though use common sense and if its dry dont shoot tracers, if its damp/wet go ahead. Just use common sense people

only one or two people I know shoot tracers when its dry enogh for the grass to cringe when ya walk on it ******cough***** nationwide

Yeah, yeah...

Burn a hole in the side of one hill and your friends never let you live it down
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top