Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 4:23:47 PM EDT
On the north edge of Houston sits the sleepy town of Porter.  I am looking at some (hopefully) good values just east of 59.  

Can anyone recommend:  a.  A homeowner's insurance company/agent familiar with the north side;  b.  A fully licensed thorough home inspector.

One property sits in the 500 year flood plain (probably why I can afford it), and getting insurance might not be possible.   None of the properties I am looking at are in the 100 year flood plain.

Thanks,
-Ngog

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful out there. I worked as a deputy in Porter / New Caney back in the 90's, straight out of the academy. Whiler there are some really good people in the area, the area is well known for thefts and drugs. The area became popular years ago for individuals who were "wanted" in Houston - they simply moved further out to stay under the radar. Some things have not changed...

If you move there, invest in a good (and monitored) alarm system.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

I am not sure where to find something affordable (<150K) in the Houston area that would have a significantly lower crime rate.  I am currently paying way too much for an apartment at 1960 and 45.  Gated, new, expensive, well lit...  In the last few months we have had several breakins, my car included, and an armed robbery.

At least out in Porter I could have an acre or so, and some big dogs.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Try NW houston.  Cypress area has a lot of new subdivisions going up for < 150K.

I just moved into my new home last March in a nice subdivision off Cypress-Rosehill.

Plans in my neighborhood start at $100K and go to $150K.

I'm in a decent enough 2 story 3BR/2.5Bath with loft, formal dining room, and 2 car garage.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in Spring, just North of FM 1960. FYI, I grew up near 1960 & I-45. Man has the area changed.

If you have kids, you may want to consider the Klein School District. One of the top - always.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Copperfield - NW Houston.

Many homes about $150k and very low crime - tons of kids, families etc.  

Easy access to 290 and Beltway 8 - and right by Hotwells!!!  Not very far to ASC either....  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
NW 290 is da bomb...
Great area with low crime, families, and great schools if you have young ones.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I know there are plenty of homes in my price range in the west and north west parts of Houston, but my goal (fantasy?) was to have a few acres as well.  Unless I go way north I will be stuck with a 10,000 sq ft lot or less.

As it stands others have jumped on the deals I found in the north, and I am not going up into Conroe to find land, so I may just have to settle for a lot too small for even the most modest zombie shelter...  

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
  Try Clevland area/west on 105 and N 1725 alot of land for sale out there. Like that LEO said stay away from Porter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top