Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2005 9:41:12 PM EDT
Hello everyone,
First of all I am not one of those CA hippies waiting to move, just military stationed there. I just found out that my discharge (good discharge, I am not a punk) will be ahead of schedule and it got me by surprise (3-4 weeks). My plan was to travel to TX for 4 days and in that time see some houses for rent and come back with a key so I can start the moving process.

At first I was locked with the Keller area but I want to start renting a simple house (rent for a while before buying). I am trying to locate an area where the crime rate is a bit low and at the same time pay a  low amount of rent ($800 aprox or less).

That's where I need some help. I am planning to rent a vehicle but I need some help in getting around. I got some maps but would like to know what areas I can look for a decent place. So far I know that Keller, Saginaw, Watagua and Azle are good places but what about others close to Ft. Worth? Like Edgecliff, Benbrook or Everman? Also what about places to stay. On travelocity and similar websites are charging a lot of money for a room and I am either looking for a motel or just sleep in the car, lol. I just need some shut eye and keep looking for a place.

I am lost in that matter. I am in the trade field (mechanic) so I am concentrating on relocating first and getting a job until I can get a solid job with the Federal goverment.

I guess that's it for now. If anyone can give me some tips on where to go, it would be a great help.

One last thing. I have a FL CCW; Can I carry while on TX with that specific CCW without any problems?

Manny.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you with the move part but yes, your FLA CHL is honored here in Texas (and vice versa).

Welcome to a free state!

CMOS
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Keller is getting pretty upscale and rents are going up.
I work for the City of Saginaw so I might be biased, but we have very good property values, great shopping and a very safe environment. The rents are around what you want for an average 3 bedroom home.
Watauga is where I grew up and values are slowly increasing but you should find something there.
Azle is out there- way west of everything.
Traffic is getting tough east of I-35W. The west side of the area is a lot better for traffic, but you end up going east anyway. Here in Saginaw you just don't live in the middle of it like Watauga. dad is still there and it's a pain to drive there through all the traffic.
Haltom City is another good choice. Good location, good shopping, etc.
North Richland Hills, Hurst, Euless and Bedford are all expensive to live in.
All the above have good access to the freeways to get to Dallas. Benbrook, Everman, Edgecliff, Mansfield are all out of the way.
Look hard at Saginaw, Haltom City, and the northern areas of Ft.Worth. There is developement going on everywhere in the north/west areas.
Let me know if I can help more.
Jim
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,
So far the military is moving me (goverment move) and I plan and hope on working in the Ft. Worth area. I am going to try and concentrate in the same area.
Can anyone recommend some low price places to just spend the night? I do not want to stay in a high end hotel and will try to keep my expenses low while out there for four days.

Right now I am at work so I will keep doing some more research when I get home.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
We have several hotels like Holiday Inn around the I-35W/ Loop 820 intersection. I don't remember the names, but there are a lot of 'em. That is on the north side of Ft.Worth and easily accessible to about everywhere.
Jim
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you want to stay in the Fort Worth area  for work purposes ??

If not I can give you some information for the Rockwall area.

Very nice area by beautiful Lake Ray Hubbord.

John
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, if it was only me, I would live in a deserted place but I want Ft. Worth so my wife could get a job in the "semi" metro area. A bit far but not that much.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#8]
So far I talked to a realtor and offered me a Duplex 2/2/2car carport in Keller for 795/mo. It looks sike a suburban area (Wincrest DR) so I may be checking that one out. I got a lot of land to cover when I get there and with four days, I hope to do good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If you plan to work in Ft.Worth look at Crowley or Burleson south of town, both are off I35 and you may get more house for your money. You only need to go to Dallas for the big gun shows. RH
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
RH,
I looked in those places and nothing within my range. I also get some mixed reviews so it is a bit difficult to decide. Keller, Saginaw and Benbrook Look to be all right. Cleburne is ok but it is a bit far.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
So far no luck on the "internet" house hunt but I have seen some apartments in the Benbrook area that have control access and covered parking for $800. I just need to make sure they have one on the first floor.

There's a high chance that I will be traveling to the area in the mid December (or before) time frame. If I can make contact with any of you guys to help me with directions and places to check (location wise), it would be a great help. That way I will not be completely lost.

Also what can you guys tell me about the Sansom Park and White Settlement area?
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#13]
 Sansom Park and White Settlement are both lower income/working class areas.
Benbrook is south of Fort Worth where Saginaw and Keller are both north of Fort Worth. It is a big difference depending on whee you will work becaus of traffic.
I don't know about online apt. hunting, but for $850.00 you could lease the house across the street from me. 3 bedroom homes are anywhere from $750.00 to over $1200.00 depending on location and age.
Around me there are a lot of builders who are requiring nothing down to move into a new home. I don't know what the payments are but they have more houses than buyers so they are financing the houses themselves.
One new developement being built in the city I work for has 3500 sq.ft. homes for around $144,000.00.
Jim
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't and won't buy right now. First, I want to rent for a while so I can get to know the area. I guess I'll end up like here, it is a weird neighborhood but will have to do for a while. The lease for a house out there is for a year minimum and an apartment would be 3 months min so if I do not like it then I'll move again 'till I find a better spot.

If I find a house with a low month lease, then I'll get it unless I check the area first, then I will commit to a year.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Hello everyone,

Four more days and a wake up, then I will be a civillian again.

I have been roaming monster "dot com" and have a few questions about  the Camping World stores. They are looking for installers and techs for their RV's and I saw that they offer some good benefits. Does anyone know anything about them? Will it be a good place to start or I will be better off with Lowe's for example?

Anyway, just touching base with you guys and of course any tips and recommendations are always welcome!

Almost forgot: On the house hunt, all I can find is a house with only one car garage. How bad is the hail season? At least my pick up truck (still paying for it) will be inside but my other vehicle....we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Almost forgot: On the house hunt, all I can find is a house with only one car garage. How bad is the hail season? At least my pick up truck (still paying for it) will be inside but my other vehicle....we'll see what happens.

This year the hail season has been light.

There have been times when cars have been totaled by hail (think Mayfair 99).

You should be able to find a 2 car for rent in the Richland hills area.  Rent will be cheaper, the homes are older, and should afford a little more space.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok so I already have a place but wanted to touch a bit on carrying while driving. I got the FL CCW and I called the TX DPS and they said as long that is not expired I could carry with no problems. As for long guns, I wanted to make sure I could be driving around TX (sightseeing) with a loaded rifle without problems. Is that legal?
At least I know that when driving from CA to TX, the only place that is a no-no in regards to weapons is just a 2 hour drive (CA). AZ and NM have good laws bout CCW and I am still allowed to use my FL CCW.

Anyway, any last minute pointers before heading out of this awful place (PRK)? I already have in mind to get a picture with my AR next to the Welcome to AZ sign .
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
As for long guns, I wanted to make sure I could be driving around TX (sightseeing) with a loaded rifle without problems. Is that legal?

"Legal" and "good idea" aren't the same things.

It would be perfectly legal for me to walk down 6th street with an AR-15 strapped to my back during the Saturday night bar hours.  However, if I did so, I would absolutely be the center of attention, and not in any good way.

You can have a loaded rifle, but expect to have unwanted attention if it's visible.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I meant like a truck gun. If I am going to be in my vehicle for a long time, to have my rifle in the back seat or in the passenger seat; Loaded of course.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I meant like a truck gun. If I am going to be in my vehicle for a long time, to have my rifle in the back seat or in the passenger seat; Loaded of course.

Thats fine. I think everyone has a 'trunk gun' around here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in Keller and its a great place with pretty much no crime. But the only problem is that Keller is growing VERY fast. Ive lived here for 16 years...and in the past 5 years people have been building everything everywhere...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks but I already found a place in NRH (Away from the loop).
I was just asking about keeping a truck gun with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I just moved here a month ago and learned that even though you might be living in Texas, you are really not a "texan", still just a damn yankee!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I was waiting for that, what took you so long?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As for long guns, I wanted to make sure I could be driving around TX (sightseeing) with a loaded rifle without problems. Is that legal?

"Legal" and "good idea" aren't the same things.

It would be perfectly legal for me to walk down 6th street with an AR-15 strapped to my back during the Saturday night bar hours.  However, if I did so, I would absolutely be the center of attention, and not in any good way.

You can have a loaded rifle, but expect to have unwanted attention if it's visible.

Someone Emailed me on this post, and I thought it was worth posting here:

I was reading your post about carrying the loaded rifle down the street being legal. It is not worth posting on the public boards but I think that a person may very well be charged in such a case. I would guess that carrying an AR-15 in public in a crowd or even a sparse population would likely cause some alarm and therein lies the problem.

TX PC 42.01(8) says that displaying a firearm in a manner calculated to cause alarm can get you 6 months in jail. I think a someone would have a tough time convincing a jury that he did not intend to cause some alarm if he walked down 6th St (Austin right?) with the dreaded "assault rifle" ( that is how it will be described in court) slung.

That is the very reason that the weapons carry permits in Texas are concealed permits and the carrying of a gun while traveling states the gun has to be concealed. It is that alarm part that can get people. Carrying a rifle at a gun range or out hunting would not normally cause alarm nor would a jury believe that you would carry a rifle into a range to "alarm" someone when everyone else is also armed. Although the law does not define carrying a rifle as UCW in Texas, they added the alarm part to stop open carry in the state.

Which makes me reconsider my opinion on the legality of carrying openly on 6th street.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top