Link Posted: 7/18/2005 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[TERMS AND CONDITIONS
No dogs or pets
No fireworks
No firearms of any nature

No problem.  Has no effect on concealed firearms carried under a CHL or on firearms secured i your vehicle unless it is a natioanl park.

From my understanding, it is just LOADED firearms that are banned in a National Park...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If you float the Comal wave to me as you go by. I am a Park Ranger there. So far I have been at the Garden Street bridge, but that could change. Dietz range is a great place to shoot.

edited to add: you can drink on both rivers, in fact, they drink a lot on both rivers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
you can use cans, but no glass or Styrofoam on the river. I used to like Ranger Smith when I was a kid. eh boo boo?

oh yea, the new plastic bottles are OK. Styrofoam is a no go because it breaks up into little pieces and never degrades and glass should be self evident
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you can use cans, but no glass or Styrofoam on the river. I used to like Ranger Smith when I was a kid. eh boo boo?

oh yea, the new plastic bottles are OK. Styrofoam is a no go because it breaks up into little pieces and never degrades and glass should be self evident

Thanks mushoot for putting that to rest! Some people around here dont know what they are talking about. But we forgive them!! And you know you who are.....
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a late invite to a family reunion on the 6th so it still looks like I will be free the next weekend.

Its a German family.  Always at least two kegs.  In Fritztown, natch.  That is why the River Weekend CANNOT BE ON THE WEEKEND OF THE 6TH!

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
tag +2
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Got a late invite to a family reunion on the 6th so it still looks like I will be free the next weekend.

Its a German family.  Always at least two kegs.  In Fritztown, natch.  That is why the River Weekend CANNOT BE ON THE WEEKEND OF THE 6TH!

It's the next weekend.

TRG

I know, just in case BC felt like moving it forward a week.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got back from doing the Guadalupe this past weekend.  Anyone need advice?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#12]
SUNBLOCK.
Secure your cooler......bungy cords
Secure your smokes and take extra smokes and lighter...we were bumming lights toward the end.
Alchohol...sure BUT take something else We were in the water for around 4 and a half hours
Food
Hats Tubes are the coolest but the slowest Kayaks are fun and fast but hot....maybe split half and half...
The police will be checking your coolers for styrofoam and glass......WARNING.
Take extra beer Lots of people need help....especially the cute ones that have run out......
Do everything you need at the campsite before you get in the river...when you get back bleeding and beat up and sun burned YOU will not feel like doing anything.......

Rapids are more fun if you can see where you are going......
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Big floats for glasses.  They will get swept off your face in some of the falls.

Get a drybox for smokes, lights and electronics.  Make damn sure it works.  Keep unopened smokes in heavy duty ziplock bags for double protection.  Make sure the drybox floats when loaded.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oh, you meant river advice? I need advice about something else.

TRG

Always make the last wipe a wet one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The police will be checking your coolers for styrofoam and glass......WARNING.

and so will I
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had a curious thought about the 'cooler checking'...

I understand 'why' they are checking, but under what legal grounds are they allowed to check?

TRG

Use a box of donuts to draw them away from your cooler...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
do they have rafts? or just canoes and tubes?

txl
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#21]
The  police are asking for permission. They don't seem to care about anything else.
Kayaks, tubes and big boats...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn...Kate and I are heading to Cancun that weekend.  Oh well...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
do they have rafts? or just canoes and tubes?

txl

You can rent almost anything.  But seeing the flow rates are going to probably be in the low 200 CFS at the most, only single person inflatable kayaks are going to be practical.  Back in '97, the flow was in the 1800 CFS and it was 8 person rafts WITH PROFESSIONAL GUIDE only.  And in July/August of 2002....FORGET IT!  Canyon Lake overflowed, wiping out all river activity.

Pray for a flood in Kerrville/Center Point/Comfort area to raise the level.  It has been raining heavy west of there tonight.  Back in '87, a freak thunderstorm caused a wall of water to course down the Guad, killing 12 campers near Comfort when they tried to drive out after getting the flood warning.  This flood raised the level to inches of spillway height.  The release form Canyon Lake was 5500 CFS.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I understand 'why' they are checking, but under what legal grounds are they allowed to check?

TRG

I only say something if I see you with glass or Styrofoam. I am on the bank. Normally I will offer you a cup in trade for your glass bottle and ask that you turn over the ice chest to me. I have large garbage bags you can use instead. The police operate differently, although both of us can issue you a ticket. Normally you have to be a jerk to get one. I believe the police are a bit stricter. And yes, make mine a jelly donut.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Another board I know of is planning a river trip that weekend.  It would be quite interesting to see the two groups accidentally run into each other.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

... And yes, make mine a jelly donut.

Is that with or without a mickey?

Just kidding.  I think I am going to fill my CamelBack with frozen margarita...
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#27]
enjoy yourselves. I am leaving for the river now. I expect a busy day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#28]
just rub it in  why dont ya!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Well guys, it was very busy Saturday. I must have seen over 1000 folks on the river. I saw my first string bikini . Sunday was a lot slower, maybe only half the folks. Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Are we ready all you campers for one hell of a drunk fest on the river?  It has been brought to my attention that everyone should take caution if you pass out.  Texrdnec will be on the lookout for certain people, just waiting on them to pass out. SO PLEASE TAKE CAUTION!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Are we ready all you campers for one hell of a drunk fest on the river?

I'm still waiting to hear back from you in regards to my site with water/electric. What's the scoop, princess?

And don't worry about passing out - the automated defenses of Camp Zhukov will ruthlessly eliminate any trespassers...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are we ready all you campers for one hell of a drunk fest on the river?

I'm still waiting to hear back from you in regards to my site with water/electric. What's the scoop, princess?

And don't worry about passing out - the automated defenses of Camp Zhukov will ruthlessly eliminate any trespassers...

Yes princess, they do have full hook-ups for you panzies!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Can fatasses float?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Can fatasses float?

Ever clean out a grease trap?  Grease floats.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#36]
I was just wondering.  I dont want to sink, cause the water to leave the river, or get harpooned.  Last time I went tubing on a river was the Brazos.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I was just wondering.  I dont want to sink, cause the water to leave the river, or get harpooned.  Last time I went tubing on a river was the Brazos.

You don't look like Michael Moore?

The Guad is TOTALLY different than the Brazos.  Water is cool and clear.  Trout water, not catfish swill.  Tubes (toobs, as the locals spell it) are a must because anything more than your butt, arms and legs in the water will lead to hypothermia unless you are an olympic-caliber swimmer.

I swam the river once when I was training for a triathlon.  I think it took me 2 days to thaw.  Tubing it is no problem.

Now on why the water is cold.  Canyon Lake.  500,000 acre-feet of water.  135+ feet deep.  Outflow from the bottom unless the spillway is active, something that has only happened once in 40 years.  Cold water from the winter is stored in the lake and released slow enough to keep the water below the lake suitable for stocking of Rainbow trout.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but with brown hair, no glasses, and I dont have the ol testicles chin.  Kinda like Peter Griffith.

Oh, and everywhere I go, I carry a gun, because guns are special.

TxLewis, Legs, and umm that Red Coat dude know what I look like.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but with brown hair, no glasses, and I dont have the ol testicles chin.  Kinda like Peter Griffith.

Oh, and everywhere I go, I carry a gun, because guns are special.

I would strongly advise against carrying on the river itself.  Guns don't float...I know because all of mine sunk in a tragic boating mishap.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#40]
OK, here is the news i got today from the river. I guessed at 50-100 people would show up! I was told they could get us a discount of 5 dollars a person instead of 25$ a car.  They will put us in a good spot.  I need to confirm the TOTAL people going. Also we need to come up with a deposit.  Here is what i am tracking so far on going:

bigcountryin_tx  +2
theredgoat        +1
txlewis
TexRdnec         +1
Hound              +1
kieth_j
ilikelegs
zhukov
Dpeacher
fireblade
mushoot

There is 19 people so far, if you are going IM me with how many. We have to have this updated and turned in by Friday. SO PLEASE GET THIS BACK.

ITEMS NEEDED:
  TOTAL NUMBER OF PEOPLE AND CARS GOING
  NEED TO PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN( GROUP DISCUSSION)
  AND ANYTHING ELSE WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT

here is my number if anyone has any questions:   361-563-4144(mike)

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I told you I'll be there. Me myself and I, although my wife may show up Saturday night.

Edited to add: MAKE SURE HE PUTS US ALL IN A SITE THAT'S ADJACENT TO MY ELECTRIC/WATER SITE!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I told you I'll be there. Me myself and I, although my wife may show up Saturday night.

Edited to add: MAKE SURE HE PUTS US ALL IN A SITE THAT'S ADJACENT TO MY ELECTRIC/WATER SITE!

GOT IT!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Some of hte Houston Crew may show.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Some of hte Houston Crew may show.

you got any for sure, if so let me know.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, assuming I havent found the new career of my dreams, I guess I can come, and ifin I do come, I gots plenty of room in my truck fo' other D/FW members.  Except TXLewis, Legs sez he is teh ghey.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Well, assuming I havent found the new career of my dreams, I guess I can come, and ifin I do come, I gots plenty of room in my truck fo' other D/FW members.  Except TXLewis, Legs sez he is teh ghey.

ILL thinks EVERYONE except himself is gay. Of course, I've never seen him in the company of this so-called "wife" of his. But everytime I *do* see him, he's with TRG.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ILL thinks EVERYONE except himself is gay. Of course, I've never seen him in the company of this so-called "wife" of his. But everytime I *do* see him, he's with TRG.

Hmm, there may be something to this.  This weekend, I saw him hanging out with who I believe was FALARAK, under the guise that he was showing off his "Baby Eagle".  I wonder if "Baby Eagle" is a codeword.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#49]
we have to come up with a deposit for the camp spot or the beer?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top