Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/4/2003 5:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/9/2003 1:58:45 PM EDT by FanoftheBlackRifle]
Found out I'm making a trip to Dallas, starting tomorrow evening, will be staying in the convention center area. Will be staying until saturday or sunday, and will be walking pretty much everywhere.

My understanding is this is pretty much "downtown". Any particular places to avoid? Anything specific I should know about, other than generic street-smarts?

Also, any tips on nightlife in that area?

Thanks,
FOTBR
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:03:52 PM EDT
The West End is where all the action will be, bars, movies, restaurants, street scene. You will be close to the American Airlines Center where the Mavericks and Stars play. Stay away from deep "downtown" after dark. If you have time check out the Sixth Floor Museum. Lots to do down there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:13:19 AM EDT
West end would probably be the closest party area for you. Greenville avenue is but a short taxi ride away, as well. Greenville Avenue has more "local" flavor, where West End is slightly more "touristy."
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:13:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/5/2003 4:19:00 AM EDT by hrt4me]
There is supposed to be a huge (3000 tables) Great Western Gun Show this weekend at Fair Park in Dallas, but I don't know how many exhibitors there will actually be.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:25:59 AM EDT
Deep Ellum is a big nightclub part of the east side of downtown (off Elm St.) and has quite an interesting but mixed history. Lots of trendy music and dance clubs...

Also lots of petty thuggery there lately though - it can be fun but I'd put it more towards the "Area to avoid" category.

West End is both touristy and expensive. It is pretty safe though people who like to prey on tourists (purse snatchers, pickpockets, beggars) used to occasionally hang around the fringes to catch people leaving the area on foot or walking to parking further out. I haven't been there in years though because it really is touristy. Usually a good police presence there.

Greenville is my favorite. It is south of SMU and a more college-town atmosphere. Good place for a pub-crawl.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:42:27 PM EDT
I'll back up B.R. on the Greenville area. For an excellent time check out Ben's Half Yard House, a great sports bar with one of the best beer selections you'll ever see. Food doesn't suck, either!
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 2:54:45 PM EDT
http://www.classicshows.com/bigtown.htm

gun show this weekend :D
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:08:17 PM EDT
Well, I'm back from Dallas.

Checked out the West End Thursday night, 'twas fun, but definitly catering towards the tourists.

Went to Deep Ellum on Friday night with a large bunch of people, and had an excellent time. I didn't see a whole lot of the "petty thuggery" -- but that *might* have been because of the cold(ish)-rainy weather -- I guess even the gang-bangers don't like to be cold and wet.

Saturday we went to the "uptown" area to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe and because we're a bunch of engineering students/nerds that wanted to see the 80+ year old trolleys. Debated going up to the Greenville Area, but was overruled by a bunch that wanted to go do a coffee-house/kareoke thing, so three of us decided to just head back over to the West End since it was close.

Then another 9 hours in the car Sunday. Yay. I want to move to the Dallas area now. Not IN the city, but in the outlying countryside.

Thanks again -- without ya'll (sorry....had to do it once) we woulda been pretty bored.

-FOTBR
Top Top