Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2003 1:14:12 PM EDT
So far we have me, Swampthing, and Citabria for a 9:30 am rendezvous at the Sam Houston National Forest Rifle Range.

Y'all call in sick and come meet us and shoot the shit and targets you bring.

Directions:
North on I-45 through Conroe.

Exit New Waverly/1374/150/1375.
West at first stop sign towards Lake Conroe.
Drive a ways, cross Lake Conroe (great view btw) and a few miles up thr road you'll see a crossing with a sign on the left saying Stubblefield Lake. Turn Right on this road.
It comes to a Y and you should see a small sign of a guy with a rifle and an arrow saying to go straight on the undeveloped road. Don't go right as it will take you to Stubblefield lake. Continue for a pretty good ways and watch for a the guy with the rifle sign again and road to the right that will take you to the range.

Bring Water, chairs, targets and trash bags and whatever else you need. There is nothing there but old targets, dirt and old brass.
200 yds is farthest berm.

No SHADE EITHER.....

We'll probably stay till 1 - 2 or so.

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I plan on being there...
Posted on your other thread.
BTW do you park at the line or how far to hump gear?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
"200 yds is farthest berm."

You sure about that?  I thought it was only about 100 yds.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm sure it's at least 150, but a guy last week there told me the last berm is 200.

Come on up and we'll walk it off and post it Friday night!

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I plan on being there...
Posted on your other thread.
BTW do you park at the line or how far to hump gear?

You can back your truck up to the line and sit/lie in the back to shoot!  Very convenient from that respect...but again, bring trash bags and something to hold your target(s).

Glad you're planning on being there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you need to hold targets up?  Stapler or cloths pins?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What do you need to hold targets up?  Stapler or cloths pins?
Thanks

That's up to you. There is nothing there to attach anything to.

You must bring the frame, box, target everything. All that is there is a berm and grass.  

Ideally, you should bring a frame with target attaching method that you can drive into the ground with the hammer you also broght with you.

I like getting a box of some kind and attaching targets to it with tape. Put some dirt or something heavy in the box to hold it as bullets pass thru. Box is easier than trying to set up a frame and all.

Bring water and trash bags and sunscreen and your own bench/chairs etc.

Again, let me stress, they only provide a shooting area...not a range, not a place to sit, no benches, no nothing.....

Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks again...
I had no idea it was just land and a berm.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#8]
So far we've got about 5 people going.....

I'm gonna sign off for the evening...see y'all at the range in the morning!
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
OK we got Coz_45, Cit, myself...Who else is going???
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Coz would you mind picking me up some foam type hearing protection?  i am spending the night with some friends and cant make it to the store.  if not i'll make due with somthign else...thanks bud
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#11]
SC-TExas here on Coz's computer.  Had a blast.  Got to meet Mr. Turner.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
No rain up there??
It was raining this morning when I got up so I figured I wouldn't do the hour and a half drive...
Sorry to have missed you guys...

Now I just have to figure what I am gonna do with these targets and target stands I bought yesterday!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#13]
The range is approx. 105 yards.  About 110 of my paces.

It sprinkled some, but never rained really hard or very long.  It was fun.

Mr. Turner showed, COZ45, SWAMPTHING, myself and Citabria made it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#14]
if it's an open event is ok for me show up? I am new in here and do not want to assume.
also, probably a more relative question when are you doing this ( which day, I see it's at 9:30)
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
if it's an open event is ok for me show up? I am new in here and do not want to assume.
also, probably a more relative question when are you doing this ( which day, I see it's at 9:30)
Thanks

we had it today.....soooo unfortunatly you missed it.  look here often for updates and other things going on. surely we can make it out again.

I didnt get the guy's name who had the FA TOY...but thank you for letting me take 30 rounds on your rifle.....it was a pure pleasure.  

Coz...thanks for the earplugs and the mags!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:04:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I didnt get the guy's name who had the FA TOY...but thank you for letting me take 30 rounds on your rifle.....it was a pure pleasure.

That was me. I had fun shooting with you guys.

Thanks,
Perry
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#17]
A great time had by all....

Here are some pics of Swampthing and SC-Texas....The one that looks like an Auschwitz victim is the Swampthing (I do feed him, really I do)

Perry, thanks again for the FA fun!

SC-Texas with my AK

Swamp with AK looking commandish and SC-Texas with a shotgun protruding from his leg...I think?
Swamp going at it with a target an SC looking for a light for his stogie
Swampthing thinking....why didn't I invent a rifle that doesn't EVER jam?
Swampthing wondering if the park rangers will be there soon considering this is the fourth mag he's emptied in the last 2 minutes....
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Brings back memories of a good day at the rnge and playing hooky from the office.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure it's at least 150, but a guy last week there told me the last berm is 200.

Come on up and we'll walk it off and post it Friday night!

The last berm measured out to be just over 180yds last time I was there, but that's been 18 months ago when Mojo came down.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top