Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2003 8:06:54 AM EDT
I'm curious who y'all like for mayor?

Oralando Sanchez is supposed to be the conservative, but none of his literature or his website gives his position on any topic.  It's all endorsements and mud-slinging.

At least White and Turner are up-front about their beliefs.

"Good Republicans" are supposed to vote for Sanchez because it's supposed to help the GOP get more of the hispanic vote in the future.

I'm usually a straight-party ticket kind of voter, but for once in my life I don't have a clear idea who I want to vote for.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
it's a shame Michael Berry withdrew, he was a real conservative

Orlando Sanchez is a puppet but he's better than bill white
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
For the first itme in my life I would vote Democrat but I just moved out of the city limits...
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Michael Berry gave me heartburn every time I saw his campaign signs.  I'm posting from a laptop with a 14.4 cellular modem, I'll tell the whole story when I get back to my real computer.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My parents through a whole meet and greet fundraiser type thing for orlando.  about 100+ people showed up to our house.  Lots of wine cheese and other food.  Orlando actually addressed some of the issues and his beliefs.   BTW Sanchez is the only one who actually showed up at one of the gunshows and supported the 2nd amendment.   I was there working for him and also there for the show.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
What mayoral race?  Is there a mayoral race going on in Houston?

I could'nt tell.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My parents through a whole meet and greet fundraiser type thing for orlando.  about 100+ people showed up to our house.  Lots of wine cheese and other food.  Orlando actually addressed some of the issues and his beliefs.   BTW Sanchez is the only one who actually showed up at one of the gunshows and supported the 2nd amendment.   I was there working for him and also there for the show.  

Please, tell us what he stands for... or get word to him that he needs to tell us.  This morning I saw a new add that included a fancy slogan in addition to listing endorsements, but still no "platform".
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#7]
RE: Michael Berry

This guy is a realtor in addition to what-ever else he does besides run for office.  His real estate office was trying to sell a deed-restricted (church use only) property in Westbury (near my house) as "unrestricted".  The Westbury Civic Club, a very active organization was up in arms.  Berry finally sent representatives to speak with us, after standing us up multiple times.

This representive asked us what we Westbury Residents would like to have on that lot.  The unanimous response was that we'd like the deed-restrictions to be respected.  The response from Berry was (paraphrazing) "tough shit"... (not paraphrazing) "There are ways around deed-restrictions."

Westbury is 5000+ home neighborhood.  For a councilman to display such a complete disregard for resident wishes just boils my blood.  I think Berry can count on never getting much support from Westbury.

By the way, the only reason they have not sold the church yet is that Chris Bell intervened on our behalf.  I have a feeling once the election is over we might be fighting this fight all over again.

For any non-Houstonians reading this, Houston does not have zoning, we rely on deed restrictions to insure the quality of our neighborhoods.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please, tell us what he stands for... or get word to him that he needs to tell us.  This morning I saw a new add that included a fancy slogan in addition to listing endorsements, but still no "platform".

I will stop in the office tomarrow afternoon after work....what exactly are your concerns which you want me to pass on to them.  i'll give it to orlando's sister since orlando wont be there tomarrow. but he'll get it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Like I said, NONE of his campaign literature NOR his website publicizes his stance on anything.  It's all a bunch of slogans, endorsements, and mudslinging at his opponents.

I want to know what his platform is

Whether I agree or disagree his opponents are at least clear about their vision for the future of Houston.

I really would like to vote Sanchez, but I will not vote for someone who is running based only on the fact that he is the conservative in the race.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't seen complete platforms from anybody.

Berry dropped out of the race.

Bill White is the only one who sent me some literature on his views on flood control which has direct bearing on me in Braes Heights area.

I will not vote for Sly Turner.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Guys, just keep in mind that whoever gets elected as Mayor will most likely run for an even more important political position at a later date (State Rep., State Senator, Governor)

Always keep this in mind when you elect a local official.  They will move up the ladder.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I haven't seen complete platforms from anybody.

Berry dropped out of the race.

Bill White is the only one who sent me some literature on his views on flood control which has direct bearing on me in Braes Heights area.

I will not vote for Sly Turner.

Where is Braes Heights?  I live one mile off Braes Bayou here in Westbury.

What's wrong with Sly?  He's the only one that really "sells" the idea that her cares about this city.  I'm not defending him, I'd just like to hear the different opinions.

CMOS I know they tend to move up the ladder.  I also have an image of Bill White kissing Hillary stuck in my head.  That and knowing he was the chairman of the Demokratik party in Texas pretty much puts him out of it as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
CMOS, I agree with you that you need to look at the future while they're running now, but I can't think of one Houston Mayor that ever ran for anything of signifigance after leaving office. Can anybody else think of any?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Braes Heights is generally between Bellaire and the Med Center.  I'm about 1/4 mile from the bayou.

Just got a voter alert from the Texas State Rifle Association giving Turner an F.  Sanchez got an A and White got a question mark.  Sanchez supports CHL and the 2nd.

Come on out and meet with us this week at BW3's in the Rice Village behind the flower shop on Kirby.  I think we are going to do it on thursday this week.  Hot wings and beer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#15]
From TSRA Regarding The Houston Mayoral Race:

Early voting in the Houston mayor's election starts on Saturday October 18th or Monday October 20, depending on the part of Houston. TSRA would like to stimulate early voting on behalf of Mayoral Candidate Orlando Sanchez.

The margin is still very close and the Sanchez Campaign thinks it is the "undecided vote" that will make the difference. Post cards have been mailed to TSRA members in the Houston zip codes. If you do not live in the Houston area, but know someone with favorable views toward the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, please make
a point to contact them in the interest of getting City Hall on our side.

If you are not familiar with current Mayor Lee Brown's "red badges for CHLicensees" program in Houston City Hall, a brief summary is:

The Mayor of Houston has decreed  a special color coded visitors pass will be issued to those who are carrying concealed handguns and that any firearm, legal or not, must be surrendered at the door to City Council meetings. The color coded tag is a policy established by the Mayor -- not the City Council.

Orlando Sanchez has pledged to do away with the red buttons. Commissioner/Senator Jerry Patterson was the first to endorse him. Please visit the campaign web site learn more about the man at:
http://www.orlandosanchez.com/home/

Early voting ends on October 31 and the election is Nov. 4th. A run off would be
the first week in December.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Sanchez finally came out with a TV ad that outlined a few "platform" items in very general terms (I think "new sidewalks" got top billing, then something about drainage, and improving transportation).  I guess I can feel a little better about voting for him now.

Thanks for the info from TSRA.  I'm pretty much a one-issue voter, so that seals the deal.

kikomax, thanks for the invite.  We've got a 9 month old toddler at home that is consuming most of our free time.  I have to pick and choose what I spend my free time on.  I don't think I'll make it out for wings any time soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top