Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 12:25:16 PM EDT
My friend recently received a letter from the Sheriff's Alarm Detail stating he had 3 false alarms in 1995 and that he owes a fee of $75 per for a total of $225.  He says he has never had afalse alarm rep[orted with his security system.  He requested additional info and was sent a bookkeeping ledger with 3 notations with item numbers and fee charges but no dates.  Very sloppy record.

Does anyone know about this Alarm Detail.  I have done a quick Internet serach but found nothing as to collections on the fees.  Any limitations?  8 years later seems absurd.  Also the Rules make mention of an appeals process but no other details given.

Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the STOL for misdemeanors?  I think it is around 7 years.  

I think the STOL has passed on this one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Also,  Who is trying to collect?  Is it a collection agency or HCSD itself?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Statute of limitations on misdemeanors is only 2 years I wanna say.  

HCSO and HPD both have alarm details and will fine you if you have more than a certain # of false alarms.  I don't think they are charging with you of a crime just fining you due to the false alarms.  

As to your questions I don't know how they work so I really can't be of much help.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#4]
If it is NOT a crime, then can there be a statute of limitations?

Good luck fighting it Kiko!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top