Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2003 8:49:57 PM EDT
Hi all,

I'm looking for a place to relocate to when I graduate college next June. First priority is a pro-gun state. Second priority is jobs. Third priority is good fishing. I'd like to move to the south because it seems you guy's values are more in line with mine.

I'd probably have to live in or near a major city for a supply of jobs. From the little I've been able to gather online it seems like DFW, Houston, and San Antonio are the three biggest cities in Texas.

Which one would you suggest for someone who wants to be a computer programmer and likes to fish ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi Philly guy-

As one who has relocated to Texas, I can say it's been one of the best things I've ever done. Opinions vary of course, but I truly enjoy living in Dallas for a number of reasons. Lots of other great places in Texas to live as well. Lots of young folks in Austin.

Programmer jobs are scarce anywhere and I suppose Texas and Dallas are as bad/good as anywhere else. Lots of technology still here even after the tech crash though so I wouldn't give up hope.

Best-

Neil.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Try to find a jobbie before you move down here.  If I were you, I'd put San Antonio and Houston at the BOTTOM of your Texas options.  DFW would be first.  Don't discount Austin.  Everybody says it's way liberal, but it ain't that bad.  As liberal as it is, it would be ultra-conservative in Kalifornia!  Plus, if you don't live in the core of the city, it's not bad at all.  

DFW does have a better ARFCOM group that gets together frequently.  Houston guys do it occasionally. Austin guys... well... it's like herding cats to get us together, but you could find some of us willing to get together for some range time.

And anywhere in Texas shouldn't be too far from a good fishing hole.  ;)

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]

A week or two recon/vacation for job and area you like.
 Always making sure you have a job first before moving here so financial aspect is the least of your worry.

Good luck and let us know your progress.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Well my .02 are biased. I say San Antonio.. I have lived here for several years. I love it. Cost of living is cheap. The tax rate is cheap in SA and cheaper just outside of SA. Lots of jobs. No so many High Tech jobs, but still a good job market. There are plenty of programming jobs in SA. We have some of Texas best fishing lakes all within an hour or 2 of town. We have one of the larget lakes, Canyon lake for boating and jetsking. There are plenty of shooting ranges here as well. Also the ranges are class 3 friendly. I work in Austin and the job market is very scary and very competitive there. I dont care for the traffic in Austin either. Goos luck in what ever you choose.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a place to relocate to when I graduate college next June. First priority is a pro-gun state. Second priority is jobs. Third priority is good fishing. I'd like to move to the south because it seems you guy's values are more in line with mine.

I'd probably have to live in or near a major city for a supply of jobs. From the little I've been able to gather online it seems like DFW, Houston, and San Antonio are the three biggest cities in Texas.

Which one would you suggest for someone who wants to be a computer programmer and likes to fish ?

HOUSTON!!!!
4th Largest city in the USA!!!
Good fishing both salt and freshwater...need I say more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Why on earth would you leave Philadelphia?

(*laughing uncontrollably in Western PA*)
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

DFW does have a better ARFCOM group that gets together frequently.  Houston guys do it occasionally. Austin guys... well... it's like herding cats to get us together, but you could find some of us willing to get together for some range time.

The Houston ARFCOM crew gets together EVERY Tuesday night for a beer or three and food......so, don't discount our camraderie....

However, that being said, I'm an out of work IT Manager in Houston. It's tough right now, though, entry-level programming might work out ok....like someone said, get the job first.

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
DFW has been very active.  However, it looks like SC-TExas has a pretty good group that is growing.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#9]
From a Native Texan, "Y'all come 'n see us"

DFW is primarly white-colar, Houston is primarly blue-colar as is San A.. Austin is primarly college students, politicians, and a mix of hightech and labor.  The liberals stay in Austin 'cause if the go anywhere else we'll just kick the mules...I mean asses.  You could almost move the Mexican boarder up to Interstate 10, and west of IH35 is dry and hot with very few lakes/rivers.  Of course the coast will be warm and humid, DFW in the summer is just too damn hot!

Get ya a map and a compass, draw a circle of whatever distance you are willing to drive for hunting/fishing and make sure it touches the coast line.  That will give ya a good start.

If you can find employment via telecommute or work from you home, then just get a place near one of many Texas' lakes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
DFW is great!  Job market sucks right now, but other than money, great place.  Law Enforcement seems to be the ticket too...

c sends
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Philly:

I used to live in/around Philly, and I highly recommend the D/FW area. If you need a place to stay while you're job/house hunting, drop me a line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top