Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/28/2003 9:05:28 PM EDT
My wife and I go to the Lake Ray Roberts - Lake Lewisville "Greenbelt" trail to walk, jog, and bike. While there, I carry a small pistol for trail-side defense. Sometimes we are out there on the trail after dark, and I've seen some pretty scurvy looking people and animals wandering about.
Anyhow, I know cities can't prevent CHL holders from carry in a park, and the state parks are open to CHL holders for carry, but this trail falls into at least two cities' jurisdictions and is periodically patrolled by Denton Co Sheriff, Denton City Police, and TX DPS state police. I'm unsure if carry is legal as there is a sign saying No firearms / hunting. It seems like it is an extension of a state park, so I carry, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any help would be great,

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:14:48 PM EDT

I don't know the extension of the law, but I would either carry for my own protection, or run somewhere else where I'm be abled to carry.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:46:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:43:57 AM EDT
If you're in a State Park, whether it intersects some municipal boudary or not, then you're legal.

Rest assured that on Setpember 1st this will be corrected with a new law going into effect that solidly clarifies that only the Texas Legislature decides where and when a CHL can be used. This law will prevent these sh!thead sities from claiming that "public property" is "owned" by the city (and therefore THEY are the owners and can prevent us from carrying), when it's really owned by US.

We did really well in the State legislature this year guys.

If y'all are not already members of the TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association), please do so. They're doing some super work.

www.TSRA.com

CMOS
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:43:16 AM EDT
Like that will ever happen. The Texas Dems won't fucking show up for work!

Originally Posted By CMOS:
If you're in a State Park, whether it intersects some municipal boudary or not, then you're legal.

Rest assured that on Setpember 1st this will be corrected with a new law going into effect that solidly clarifies that only the Texas Legislature decides where and when a CHL can be used. This law will prevent these sh!thead sities from claiming that "public property" is "owned" by the city (and therefore THEY are the owners and can prevent us from carrying), when it's really owned by US.

If y'all are not already members of the TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association), please do so. They're doing some super work.

www.TSRA.com

CMOS

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:30:34 AM EDT
Thanks for all your advice. I'll let this issue go to the back of my mind, what with the Sept. 1st state supremacy clause going into effect. And I'll presume that since the "greenbelt" connects state park facilities that it is CHL friendly.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:05:58 PM EDT
Fishman,

Just a "No Firearms" sign is not enough to prevent Concealed Carry by licensed individuals.

Remember in the class where they showed the signs The 51% sign is one and the other is the 30.06 stating the law in certain size letters and in English and Spanish.

If the 30.06 sign is not posted at each entrance you're pretty much legal....
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:33:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SuperAlpha:
Like that will ever happen. The Texas Dems won't fucking show up for work!

Originally Posted By CMOS:

Rest assured that on Setpember 1st this will be corrected with a new law going into effect that solidly clarifies that only the Texas Legislature decides where and when a CHL can be used.

CMOS

The Governor has already signed it into law. It takes effect on Sept. 1st. The city attorney has already informed me that even though I possess a CHL, I will not be allowed to carry into specified city facilities since employees are not allowed to be armed while in uniform, on duty or work related activities. I also cannot find where the police are exempted from the same policy.

mm
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:13:41 PM EDT
Coz,

My question stems from reading through packing.org's info on Texas CHL laws. At Packing.org, I found a letter by TX Attorney General Morales that seems to allow counties and some other government entities a loophole in the state supremacy in CHL governance, at least until Sept. 1st.

I know that the 30.06 sign must be present to post private property, hospitals, churches, and municipal meetings, and the 51% sign posts premisis where alcohol is consumed.

I guess my curiosity as to my legality is greater than my concern, for (as Lordtrader said) I still plan to carry there (in good faith legally). I would rather have to explain myself in court, than have a forensics tech attempt to explain my untimely demise to my wife and family.

Thanks for the info...
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:47:15 PM EDT
Fishman:
Notice that Mr. Morales is in the klink right now. I don't think that we can trust a con to correctly interpret the law. Walking jogging and biking is that a triathalon?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:24:08 PM EDT
I may be wrong but I believe carrying on National Lands is illegal with exceptions for hunting-- which requires a special permit-- So Lake Lewisville would be questionable.
Top Top