Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/15/2003 6:53:33 AM EDT
My computer has shit the bed, and I'd like someone who knows what they're doing to take a look at it before I just dump it and buy a new one. I called Comp USA and they want $140 just to crack it open, plus parts needed to fix anything, if I have it fixed.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:57:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:35:14 AM EDT
Jarhead, I'm not a certified 'puter technician (I'm certifiable, but that's a different thread) so I'm not holding myself out as a professional, but I've built a few systems and I know my way around a motherboard.

I'd be happy to come by and take a look. My rates are reasonable: all the Dr. Pepper I can drink and unrestricted bathroom breaks.

IM me if you'd like to get together.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:28:50 AM EDT
what happened? does it not boot up? Driver problem? Power supply? Lightning? no clue?

Fry's Electronics has plenty of spare parts...

Worse-case, it could be a fried motherboard or crashed hard disk. If so, they are cheap to replace. Sometimes its cheaper to get a whole new computer... depending on what you have in yours now.

Do you have any data on the drive you need to recover? If so, I think FALARAK has some recovery tools, assuming the dive is semi-functional.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:30:19 AM EDT
Whatever you do, DO NOT PAY for someone (i.e. CompUSA a**holes) to look at it. Its not worth it.

I can explain the CompUSA thing later... they screwed me bad...
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:40:15 AM EDT
From talking to Jarhead it sounds like his HD crashed. If Fry's has a replacement (I aimed him there) he should be up and running soon.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:18:23 PM EDT
El_Roto, you da man!

It looks like it was indeed my HD that was causing my problem. I swapped in a new 30GB drive that I got from Fry's, booted up from the CD drive and loaded up XP again, and here I am, back online!

Thanks, dude. Beer's on me, next time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:24:24 PM EDT
Whooo Hooo!!!

I've been sweatin' bullets waiting to see you back up 'n runnin'.

I'm glad it worked out. Hell, I'm down-right ecstatic!
Top Top