BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 7:10:00 AM EDT
Terrorists possibly targeting Texas

www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/1964157
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]

you can't protect a chemical plant.
i have worked in too many of them and know better than to think a security guard with a gun can keep a terrorist from turning a unit into a fuel air device about the size of a daisy cutter.  sure they got safety devices but 500 gal of gas heated and atomized is bad.  inside an operating vessel without O2 it is safe.  add a 30 cal API round and you got a crater.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
guess this is just an excuse to carry my AR around!  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Thanks for the heads up, GI_Brat.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I have also been inside a lot of the plants in the Corpus area and the perimiter defense they have is a chain link fence and that is not going to stop a vehicle being driven by a mad man bent on blowing up himself and his target.  Lets hope and pray that this will be another false alarm.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#5]
With some of the people I have known that work in plants we have no need for terrorist. The contractors do a pretty good job of blowing the place up themselves.

Ever hear of Crown Petroleum in Pasadena? Shell?
Bottom line is the owners would never spend the kind of money it would take to secure a large facility.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
With some of the people I have known that work in plants we have no need for terrorist. The contractors do a pretty good job of blowing the place up themselves.

Ever hear of Crown Petroleum in Pasadena? Shell?
Bottom line is the owners would never spend the kind of money it would take to secure a large facility.  

It's no different here at BP Texas City were I'm an Operator/Fire Fighter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top