Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 3:54:00 AM EDT
just wondering what you guys think about the idea of open carry (in Texas).  i am going to AZ and plan to try it out.  so far i think it's a mediocre idea.  i like my CHL and i know i am surrounded by CHL holders but i just am not sold on the idea of everyone displaying guns.  even it they are on a belt.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The only advantage I can see to open carry is that it desensitizes people to guns through regular exposure (assuming enough people do it).

From a personal perspective, I think concealed carry is much better for personal protection for a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Open carry would be okay if you have a concealed gun, too. I would have the open carry gun either empty or internally locked. If someone makes a grab for your open carrry gun, he will realize too late he got an inert piece of metal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:22:55 AM EDT
[#3]
An armed society being a polite society would encourage me to carry openly. Only Florida doesn't allow it

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#4]
1.  Open carry is now illegal in Texas.  As ya'll know.

2.  I like the idea of every adult being well armed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it's just me but I don't like the idea of everyone knowing that I've got a firearm.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the open carry for hiking and camping trips.  However for everyday carry I would prefer to keep it concealed.  There is something about the element of surprise.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Personally, I like to carry concealed.  The element of surprise is in my favor, and I like to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I am all for open carry.

All for concealed carry too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a comment, with open carry you would have less chance to pull it for the bad guys know for sure you have a gun.  If I was a crook I would rather pick on an unarmed person rather than an armed person.  In this reagard, open carry is a deterent while concealed is not.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just a comment, with open carry you would have less chance to pull it for the bad guys know for sure you have a gun.  If I was a crook I would rather pick on an unarmed person rather than an armed person.  In this reagard, open carry is a deterent while concealed is not.

True.  They also can "shoot to kill" because of the open carry.

Slumlord.  Seems like we have the same idea.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I am not a little guy by any means.  If my size is not enough deterrent to someone who would otherwise do me harm, I don't want to give them any other advantages.  I would much prefer to have my Ace in the hole so to speak.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I like it and I do it whenever I can..it makes me feel all manly to hang that big piece out there.......ummm what were we talking about?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it would be ok with a good looking SAA rig. Just leave the one under the hammer and the next one empty and have a second concealed carry gun. If someone grabs the SAA by the time they get past the second empty you'll have the backup in hand.

You lose the element of surprise with open carry.

You increase the public awareness and get them used to the idea of people having guns and nothing bad happening.

You reduce the chances of being targeted as the bad guys are mostly cowards and will move on to someone unable to defend themselves.

You increase the ability to access your weapon since there is no cover garment to sweep.

There are pros and cons to both open and concealed carry. Everyone would have to make the call for themselves. I don't know if we'll ever get open carry in Texas but hope we do. It should be our option and no one else's.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, I guess I'm just a cowboy at heart and feel I can out draw the other guy.  Besides if the assholes worth wasting, I want him to see what's coming.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, I guess I'm just a cowboy at heart and feel I can out draw the other guy.  Besides if the assholes worth wasting, I want him to see what's coming.

TJ.  Now it's my turn to LOL.  I keep thinking you're Clint Eastwood.  The problem is
those bastards have no rule, and Clint better
has 2 eyes in the back and one eye on each side to be safe.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Everytime I go to AZ I open carry, it's not a big deal to most people even in Phoenix. Nevada allows it too but I have a CCW and don't open carry all that much here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I personally would like to see open carry legalized in Tx.  I think that the state should not prevent a persons rights to bear arms.  The person should be able to carry open or concealed as he sees fit to.  

I would most likely carry concealed, But think that if you accidently print or show it should not be a crime.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi 308wood, In AZ canceled carry without a permit is only an infraction punishable by a maximum fine not to exceed $ 50.00.

No record and no more than $ 50.00 no matter how many times you get caught.

I open carried until my permit arrived in the mail and no one seemed to even notice. Now that carrying without a permit has been reduced to an infraction I wish I had not jumped through all the hoops to get my permit. I don’t think I will renew after it expires.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top