Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 2:01:59 PM EDT

ETH,

Do you know the location where Ranger Sul Ross encountered the Commanches along the Pease River?  Also, is it marked with a Hysterical Marker?

mm
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
i know im not ETH, but this is all I could dig up.

www.forttours.com/pages/pease.asp

that site has alot of info, maybe you could snoop around on there some
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
 Well, the battle was in what is now Foard County.  ETH is intimately familiar with that area.  I was curious if the battle occured on the Hun Farm or at the nearby highway.

mm
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
  ETH is intimately familiar with that area.  
mm

Thats an under statment!  You get a full history lesson/story when your at his place.  I kinda enjoy it. Its soo cool to find out about TEXAS history that I never knew!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thats an under statement!  You get a full history lesson/story when your at his place.  I kinda enjoy it. Its soo cool to find out about TEXAS history that I never knew!

I think many people do not realize that the history of Texas is so diverse.  Also, the history of Texas is not the history of one state or one nation.  Texas history is the history of many peoples and nations.

mm
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The Hun regaled my son and I with that history lesson the first time we went to the Hun farm.  I'm sure he will be happy to provide the refresher course when he finds this thread.

And speaking of "Hysterical Markers", has anyone bothered to stop and read the marker on highway 6 just a quarter mile north, or so, of the turn off to the Hun Farm?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe i'll do it on the way up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The marker is on the West side of highway 6, there is a place to pull over as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Hun regaled my son and I with that history lesson the first time we went to the Hun farm.  I'm sure he will be happy to provide the refresher course when he finds this thread.

And speaking of "Hysterical Markers", has anyone bothered to stop and read the marker on highway 6 just a quarter mile north, or so, of the turn off to the Hun Farm?

Marker Text: Founded in 1880 by Benjamin E. Lower, John Wesley and wife, first settlers. Lower became the first postmaster, 1880; Mrs. Wesley was second, 1882. Place was named for Pease River and E. M. Pease, Texas Governor (1853-57 and 1867-69). Second group of settlers was family of W. T. Dunn. Stone post office-trading post served 3,500 square miles of sparsely settled country. Mail delivery was by stage or horse. The post office was abolished 1885 when Margaret became seat of Hardeman County. In 1891 site of Old Pease City and Margaret became part of Foard County. (1968)

Is this the one??? fullclip

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn Hun...  I don't know how you can remember all this stuff. Hell, I have a hard time remembering what ate for dinner last night.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There is a huge statue of Ross at the Texas A&M campus, where he is referred to as 'Old Sully.'

I've polished Old Sully a few times back in my Corps days.  Even left pennies at his feet during finals for good luck.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, that explains a lot.  From what I was always taught, the battle actually occurred on the banks of the Pease.  But as often happens, what was being taught was only 4/5ths correct.

Looking at topo maps, there just aren't all that many place along the Pease in Foard County to have a battle on horses or foot without the fight dragging on for days.

And now a really good one, the night we were in Crowell.  I noticed that the majority of buildings were less than 60 years old, some of the buildings that looked older seemed to have major repairs done at least 70 years ago.  Did Crowell have a major flood or some other disaster such as a fire 70-80 years ago?

mm
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The marker is on the West side of highway 6, there is a place to pull over as well.

Yeah! i'll have to take a picture and post it on this thread. I;ve pasted it a dozen times making those booze runs, and walmart runs for the guys! :)

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Crowell has its own website??   COOL!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#16]
 Strange,

I read up on Quanah Parker and Senoir Buenos Noches.  

Indirectly related, The Book of Mormom, I believe, describes an incident which either directly or indirectly ended in the Wounded Knee Massacre.  Quanah persuaded his people to reject the Ghost Dance Religion and very possibly averted a similar massacre.

At the same time, Senoir Buenos Noches of the Loving-Goodnight Trail fame was apparently whipping up fear and frenzy about an Indian uprising related to the Ghost Dance.  Apparently he did this for his own profit to discourage people from settling in the area and to scare people into moving away.

Really strange when you look at incidents in history and start seeing the wholistic interconnectedness of events that at first glance seem totally unrelated.

mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top