Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 3:31:04 PM EDT
Big Town has been one of my favorite shows over recent years, second only to Market Hall.

Today I go with the wife, get my gun checked, slip it in my pocket, and head on in. Guy hassles my wife to search her purse. Of course, he completely misses my HK USP/TAC sticking out of my pocket. OK, I can get over that, though my wife is a little perturbed.

Go in to find many, many vendors are not there, and for the time of day, not many customers either. So several things I need I cannot get, but a handful of other things I find at vendors here and there. I get maybe 50% of what I thought I would get.

Find out from one vendor that at a previous show they tried metal detectors at the entrance (they do have 30.06 posted), and it was a disaster. People waiting forever to get in, instead just going home, vendors cancelling future shows, etc.

On the way out, wife goes out (exit guy doesn't check purse on way out), and wants to see in my bag. WTF? OK have a look. Not much of interest, two boxes ammo, M44 Handguards, VG-1, *EMPTY* Fobus holster bag, SAR Magazine. Asks for my receipt.

ME: Don't have any.

HIM: You need to get it.

ME: They didn't give me one.

HIM: You have to have a receipt.

ME: No, I do not need one, and I do not want one anyway.

HIM: You need one to get out of here with your merchandise.

ME: I don't think so; I am not going back for receipts.  Ignoring him, I walk out, he mumbles something...

What is the deal with this place? It used to be a good show, seems the NAZIS have taken over. I am all for preventing ADs and theft, but their methods to prevent such are assinine, and driving people and vendors away. Not a sound business strategy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Its been sucking badly the last couple shows...

they have also had a couple NDs. Last time I was there a guy got caught stealing a handgun and trying to walk out the door.

As for checking your bag and demanding a receipt: you own the merchandise, not them. No receipt is required once you paid for it. tell them to fuck off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Hate to hear that Big Town has fallen so low. If they are to act like this I just hope the vendors will start skipping it and go to WillRogers in Ft.Worth. It is closer for me anyway... fullclip

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
 The guy at the exit usually just waves me through, even when I'm carrying a firearm I just purchased.

I think many vendors weren't there because the Market Hall show is next weekend.  If there is a Ft. Worth show the weekend after, expect pretty much the same as you saw at Big Town.

mm
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
HIM: You need one to get out of here with your merchandise.

oh, man.

this kind of stuff pisses me off!

a usual response is "who the Fuck are you to tell me what to do?"

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
They didn't ask me for a receipt.

This was the worst show. I hope it was because
Market Hall is next week. Normally its a great show.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea I was not too impressed.  There was allot of vendors that had not opened even after 9:30.  I did like that expedition recon carbine by Robinson Armament.  That was the only thing I was drooling over.   Heard the show has had some guns go off a couple shows ago there.  I guess thats why they had the metal detector.  I had my carry unlaoded & tagged. I asked him if it would be a problem to holster it tagged,  "no Prob"...   You must have had someone who was pulling your chain...   I also saw a new RRA dealer there.  Has been Home land Defense for a while,  now a new guy was selling them.  

Any of you guys off from wed-fri that want to get out & go shooting this week let me know.  I would like to meet up with some of the guys that go to the Hun Farm...  I have to work this weekend so I am planning on going somewhere to shoot this week...  I live in Trophy CLub (near Roanoke-N of Fort Worth)...

Just drop me an e-mail

[email protected]

Prosise
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#7]
What I really hate, is when you PAY an entry fee, that the vendors either have not opened, or they are closing up early. On Sundays, they close down starting around 2:30!!! That is fucking rediculous.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
1: All the promoters are extremely arrogant and treat the dealers and public like shit.  
2: People are idiots, which resulted in 3 discharges in 2 shows at Big Town.
3: What keeps gun shows afloat is that most attendees out there are willing to: invest many hours of there time, pay for parking, pay for admission, pay for bad food many times going to multiple shows in order to "save" money by paying 10 to 20% less for a gun would cost at their local dealer.  

These are blanket statements and do not apply to all situations but trust me it does apply.

Now the shameless plug-
My store prices are the same as my gun show prices.  You can order any gun from anywhere and I will transfer it to you for $20, it is your responsibility to pay the tax.  Mail order items are not tax exempt, it is set up on an honor system that you will pay the tax to the state.  I have a complete line of ammo, over 1200 military guns and tens of thousands of mags and other items at the "gun show" price in my store.  I won't charge you admission and if you ask I would probably give you a free cold beer.  

My 2 cents,
Eric Robb
Military Antiques / Oldgunsupply.com

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Vorbek
I'm glad to see you guys there. And you do have
great prices. I need to make another run out to
your store and stock up on some things.
I will pass out all the fliers I got from you
at Tuesdays big dinner gathering.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Vorbek
I'm glad to see you guys there. And you do have
great prices. I need to make another run out to
your store and stock up on some things.
I will pass out all the fliers I got from you
at Tuesdays big dinner gathering.

I got one of the fliers at TXL's home-reloading class (i.e. Party) yesterday... Saw an SKS I might want to get...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 I also saw a new RRA dealer there.  Has been Home land Defense for a while,  now a new guy was selling them.  

Prosise

Homeland Defence wasn't at the Mesquite Show.  Jon didn't go because of the Market Hall Show next weekend.  I have no idea of who the new guy is.  Jon lost his table at that end of the building since he skipped a how to attend a larger one out of state.  

Wasn't there a large show this last weekend either in Tx or OK?

mm
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Wasn't there a large show this last weekend either in Tx or OK?

mm

Dunno,

I like the guy from Home land defense,  he is very informative & curteous to me every time I see him.  He sold me a green coated lower reciever that I really have enjoyed.  Im really looking forward to the Gunstock event.  It is going to be a good time with so many manuf there.  I told several people at the BigTown show about it.  I almost printed out some black&white fliers to hand out.  I have not seen anything at the shows about it.   We need to get some word out about it...  I am not going to be able to goto the Market hall show so someone needs to see if they can take some fliers,  or talk to the Gunstock directors about a banner to post somewhere at the local shows or at local ranges....

Prosise

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top