Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 3:41:15 PM EDT
I've signed up for the Primary Carbine class at TacPro, between Ft. Worth and Abilene.

Any recommendations from people who have attended this class? I'm particularly interested in the following:

- Single-point or three-point sling?  I'm using a 16" carbine with a SureFire M500A fore-end light and either an A1 stock or six-position collapsible stock.

- Ammo?

- Where to stay - Stephenville or the Longhorn Inn on I-20?

- Food/lunch arrangements?

- Web gear/mag holders, and how many mags?

- Daily schedule?

Thanks in advance.

[Edit] THellURider, thanks for the clarification on TacPro vs. ProTac.  Title edited.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
- Single-point or three-point sling? I'm using a 16" carbine with a SureFire M500A fore-end light and either an A1 stock or six-position collapsible stock.
which do you have?  if all you have is a standard sling that is what i would take.  if you want something special i would get a isralie special forces sling.  

- Ammo?
winchester white box or any other quality ammo.  leave the wolf or shit ammo at home.  you are there to learn to shoot not dink with your rifle.

Food/lunch arrangements?
bring chips and sam-itches from HEB.  expect to drink 1-2 gal of water per day. usualy they have water coolers so you can fill up a canteen but i bring my own water and water bottles.    

this is a real world training class.  dress like you plan to fight.  so if your lying in bed late at night and hear glass shatter on the far side of the house you will most likely have to fight in your jammies.  why pack and try to train with lot's off cool tac stuff you will never have time to put on in a real gun fight? mags... 6-9.  they shoot three mag relays so you can get by with three mags and a quick reloader LULA, Beta "C" etc.  you will be ahead of the curve if you learn tac loads and pistol transitions before you go.  

schedule...
shoot, (3 30 round mags.) shoot, shoot,  
break
shoot shoot shoot  
lunch
shoot shoot shoot
break
shoot shoot shoot
finish.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
308wood,

I actually have two preban carbines:

1) 16" lighweight barrel carbine with A1 sights, A1 stock, M500A light;

2) 16" M4-type flattop carbine with EOTech 552/E, 6-position collapsible stock, M500A light.

Yeah, I'm no high-speed operator, just a suburbanite with a CHL.  I'm thinking of wearing my Glock 19 in a Fobus holster, with an extra mag and Surefire 6P on the offside under my regular photographer-type vest.  Maybe put the mags in my vest pockets?

If I'm going to be doing pistol transitions, then would a single-point sling such as the CQB Solutions HST Sling be the way to go?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Well Protac is a different place. www.protacglobal.com  But I'd go with a single point slings, bring as much ammo as possible.  And I'd use the collapsible stock since it allows you to get as close to the wall as possible while practicing shooting around corners etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#4]
the type of sling you choose is a presonal choice but they are like shoes, try them all on and see which one YOU like the best.  in all honesty you don't need a sling to do transitions.  just get into a offhand shooting stance.  allow the muzzle of your rifle to fall down to a 45 deg angle.  draw your pistol with your strong arm and re-engage.

if you have two rifles i would take both and try them out.  see which of the features you like on each.

have fun, shoot safe.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#5]

- Ammo?

Bring at least twice the recommended amount listed on the website.

- Where to stay - Stephenville or the Longhorn Inn on I-20?

If you just need a bed to sleep in, the Longhorn Inn is closest and cheapest. If you want cable, a refrigerator or anything beyond the basic amenities, you'll have to stay in Stephenville and the nicer hotels are on the west side of town away from the range (about 20 minutes out)

- Food/lunch arrangements?

You get an hour for lunch and the nearest place is the truck stop at I-20. If you bring your lunch instead you'll have time to work in about 20 minutes of shooting on the range or just relax, clean weapons, make phone calls, etc. I really recommend bringing a lunch since there aren't a whole lot of restaurant options available to you and it makes your life simpler and easier.

You can get by with three mags; but I'd bring more if you have them.

O say hey to Jake and Bob who will be in the class with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top