Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2017 9:39:32 PM EDT
So my family owns some property (260 acres) and a house outside of Harrisville, which my wife and i visit 2 to 3 times a year.

Usually in May we'll spend 10 days getting away from Maryland's BS. (Can't wait to just move to WV.)

I'm sure there's some things we could be doing/seeing/visiting other than our property.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
North Bend State Park is there as well as the rail trail if you like riding bicycles. Not too much to do in Ritchie County...which can be a good thing.

You are close to Parkersburg, you could visit the North End Tavern which is the oldest brewery in the state.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
We have been to North Bend a few times.. nice park for sure! Not too sure about toting the bikes along for the rail trail.. I do like some mountain biking though.

Been to Dodd's on every trip we've made. Both of us have dropped some money there.

We've also explored Weston and the asylum. Neat, but not exactly repeatable if you know what i mean.

The tavern in Parkersburg sounds interesting.. We both like a good beer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
doubletap..
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me, if you like fishing the Ohio River is nearby. Pretty good fishing in the summer. Several public fishing access points. Under NO circumstance would I eat anything out of there.

Mountwood Lake - which is a lot closer than the Ohio River is stocked with trout. I have personally never fished there. WV DNR trout stocking

Since you like beer there is another brewery in Parkersburg. I have never been there, but it looks nice. Parkersburg Brewing Co
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
If you like historical stuff, in Parkersburg take the boat ride to Blennerhassett State Park, it opens for the season first of May. The mansion has been rebuilt as it was at the time of Aaron Burr using it as a base to start a new country West of the Ohio River. Sternwheel boat ride 5 miles from Parkersburg to the island, and a walking tour around the island. There is also a Blennerhassett museum in Parkersburg. Overlooking the island is Ft Boreman Park, that protected Parkersburg from the Confederate sympathizers on the South side of the Little Kanawha River. Ft Boreman was to keep the railroad bridge across the Ohio River open for traffic; it's on a high hill where you can see all of lower Parkersburg.

Up the river 15 miles is Marietta, the first settlement in the west in the late 1700's. Campus Martius Museum is on the site of the first settlement, and is built over some of the original wall and blockhouse protecting the settlement from the natives.

A couple hours North for you is Moundsville, where you can tour the old penitentiary that was built in the 1860's and used through the 1980's. If you liked the asylum tour in Weston the penitentiary tour is better. There is an overnight paranormal tour that's interesting - you get a 90 minute guided tour of the prison, then are turned lose to wander wherever you want for the rest of the night. Ghost hunter types really enjoy this.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you like historical stuff, in Parkersburg take the boat ride to Blennerhassett State Park, it opens for the season first of May. The mansion has been rebuilt as it was at the time of Aaron Burr using it as a base to start a new country West of the Ohio River. Sternwheel boat ride 5 miles from Parkersburg to the island, and a walking tour around the island. There is also a Blennerhassett museum in Parkersburg. Overlooking the island is Ft Boreman Park, that protected Parkersburg from the Confederate sympathizers on the South side of the Little Kanawha River. Ft Boreman was to keep the railroad bridge across the Ohio River open for traffic; it's on a high hill where you can see all of lower Parkersburg.

Up the river 15 miles is Marietta, the first settlement in the west in the late 1700's. Campus Martius Museum is on the site of the first settlement, and is built over some of the original wall and blockhouse protecting the settlement from the natives.

A couple hours North for you is Moundsville, where you can tour the old penitentiary that was built in the 1860's and used through the 1980's. If you liked the asylum tour in Weston the penitentiary tour is better. There is an overnight paranormal tour that's interesting - you get a 90 minute guided tour of the prison, then are turned lose to wander wherever you want for the rest of the night. Ghost hunter types really enjoy this.
View Quote
Thank you sir!

Some good ideas here. I'm not into the ghost hunter thing, but the penitentiary tour and overnight stay sounds like it would lots of fun.
And the Parkersburg stuff also sounds very interesting. The missus and i love all of the history stuff.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
when are you coming in May?
Fort Harmar Rifle Club in Marietta has the bi-annual Historical Military shoot May 29 at the outdoor range near Marietta; kind of a mini Knob Creek.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
when are you coming in May?
Fort Harmar Rifle Club in Marietta has the bi-annual Historical Military shoot May 29 at the outdoor range near Marietta; kind of a mini Knob Creek.
View Quote

We would be arriving on the 26th, and leaving on the 4th of June.

Do they allow anyone to shoot? (For a fee i would assume)
I have all sorts of stuff i could bring to an event like that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone can shoot - not sure what the range fee is, haven't been there for a while. There is also an IDPA match same day at the pistol range across the road from the rifle range. Info here - http://www.fortharmar.com
calendar of events down the right side of the page. There is a tag at the top that says "our ranges" with directions and co-ordinates. The outdoor range is about 15 miles North of Marietta off State Rt 26; from Harrisville about an hour drive. Rt 26 is pretty twisty, so take it easy.

went back and looked at the calendar entry - for info give Ernie a call - Match Director   Ernie Hoschar   740-350-3270
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top