@travmack
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
@eugunieum
@Individualist
@EriktheRed84
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure how I got tagged into this. Haven't lived in KS for 8 years. Either way, good luck with whatever you're planning.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
@aklferris
@7BoSoX7
@Mpnelson81
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure how I got tagged into this. Haven't lived in KS for 8 years. Either way, good luck with whatever you're planning.
View Quote

Sorry!  Been going through the intro thread tagging anyone who is/was in Kansas and still post on arf.  

I knew I was gonna get a number who probably moved since but don't want to miss anyone still interested in hooking up!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
@KansanPioneer
@Red2Golf
@Dustyrebel
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#10]
@tundra556
@Will_Power
@CRracer_712
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]
@kuhndog599
@DLIP
@Sylvan

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
@grndy27
@hollowpoint2003
@saltydecimator
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]
@KS_HandK_Man
@nzachman
@Cansiae1nundatio
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#14]
@clean_dude
@walther1978
@Phantom24
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#15]
@eddster93
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#16]
All done @ing people for the moment.  That was me going through the "introduce yourself" tacked thread and tagging anyone who had any forum activity in the last year or so.  If you've left Kansas since then don't sweat it.  This was a one time @ to let people know what we're doing if you're interested.

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#17]
For anyone new to the American Pioneer Corps my best non-official description is that it's like Boy Scouts (what BSA was 30+ years ago) for adults with the goal of creating community and state based chapters that can assist their communities when needed and happen to enjoy shooting with a deep devotion to the nation's ideals.

This is off of the APC's website.
The mission of the American Pioneer Corps is to train and develop leaders who can efficiently evaluate a situation, make decisions, communicate with others, and take decisive action in chaotic environments.

We build capable community based organizations willing, ready, and able to provide wildland fire fighting, search and rescue, and other emergency assistance.
View Quote

Besides the hikes we'll be doing some shooting classes, putting together comms options that can work for community, state or further, hosting emergency first aid/trauma training with certification and taking part in shooting competitions.

For those unsure about their ability to do the hikes you have a few options.

1) Do the hike carrying nothing but some water or energy food and don't worry about the rating qualifications yet.  If a mile in you realize even that is too much you can turn back and hang out at the cars until the group is done.  A lot of us have had to work up to the point of doing a hike with a heavy pack.  Just take it in steps that are achievable for you.  There's no point risking injury or serious health problems.

2) For first timers you can do a 3 mile hike with 35 pounds in one hour rather than the 6 miler with 45 pounds.  That starts you on the path toward a 3rd class rating and is less to bite off if you're unsure.

3) Do the full 6 miles with a 45 pound pack to meet one of the required hikes for a 3rd class rating.  

For folks interested in the APC concept but physically unable to do the hiking the APC is working on an auxiliary that can lend a hand in non-physical ways like maybe base station communications or other static skills.  If this is you we'd be glad to have you join us after the hike for a meal and planning.  Message me and Notcalifornialegal and we'll coordinate meeting after the hike.

If you'd like an APC handbook you can find instructions on how to order them and pay via PayPal in this post.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
For anyone who can't make this event we're doing another get together March 13th at Bone Creek Gun Club north of Pittsburg.

The March 13th event will be a hike, short pistol class and rifle class.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@eddster93
View Quote

Appreciate the tag. Will shoot you a message to get details tonight.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@twistedfreak
@Pickle
@jcarrel
View Quote

Much like Dorothy and Toto, I'm not in Kansas anymore.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the tag.
I was unaware of this group and it's activities, so I'll do some digging when I get some time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Much like Dorothy and Toto, I'm not in Kansas anymore.  
View Quote

Bummer man. Enjoy Mississippi!
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tag.
I was unaware of this group and it's activities, so I'll do some digging when I get some time.
View Quote

Besides the APC website and forum check out the link below to see what they're like.

As their ultimate test of competence the APC has their annual Warfighter Challenge in May in Montana.  Here's the 2020 APC Warfighter Challenge AAR for some info on what's involved.

It's open to anyone who's achieved a Pioneer 3rd class rating or higher.  No way I can make it out there this year but maybe next.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Doesn't look like I'll be able to make this one either.  Got Blue & Gold for my oldest that day, and then I'm finally done with the non-gender conforming Scouts!
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the offer, I am too old & in too poor health to do anything like that. Sounds good though.

Thanks,
Mark

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm out at this time. Stuck in the hospital for a few days due to a non cancerous mass on my brain.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm out at this time. Stuck in the hospital for a few days due to a non cancerous mass on my brain.
View Quote

I guess I'll accept that as an excuse.  

In all seriousness I'll certainly pray for a positive prognosis and cure.  Be glad to have you join us any time you can.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I guess I'll accept that as an excuse.  

In all seriousness I'll certainly pray for a positive prognosis and cure.  Be glad to have you join us any time you can.

View Quote

Prayers much appreciated brother.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sorry!  Been going through the intro thread tagging anyone who is/was in Kansas and still post on arf.  

I knew I was gonna get a number who probably moved since but don't want to miss anyone still interested in hooking up!
View Quote

I am one of those that hasn't been in KS for a while (5 years) but I do appreciate that someone it trying to put together an event for folks on the site.  Good luck!

MPNelson81
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Won’t be able to make it, due to health issues. Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Updated With new Trail
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After the success we had with our initial hike we are ready to get our 2nd hike on the calendar.  

With the bonkers weather we've been having we will be adjusting the location to a more manageable route.

We will instead be rucking the Flint Hills Nature Trail at the Council Grove Trail Head.

TRAIL

Hike will start at 1:00.  

View Quote

Quoting for anyone who skips the update in the OP.

The trail we're hitting is a converted gravel rail trail so will be very doable for all skill levels and should be pretty much mud free.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Got my Pioneer Task Book in the mail today.  I’ll bring it with me if anyone wants to check them out.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It’s essentially a sign off book with all the ratings requirements and recommended skills listed with witness sign off and notes spaces for each skill.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the tag brother. I'm tentative right now, I'm trying to figure out if I'll be open to go or not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tag brother. I'm tentative right now, I'm trying to figure out if I'll be open to go or not.
View Quote

Be glad to have you!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Updated

@KC215
@Austin1911
@onthebreeze
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hike will start at 1:00.  

Weather is expected to be right around 40 so not great but not terrible.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219476/cgweather-1829953.png

This will just be a straight hike 3 miles in, 3 miles out.

We have a handful of places to meet up afterwards Maybe the Hays House restaurant?

I have the following as confirmed:

Myself
Highplains1911
Lomshek
KC215
Austin1911

The following as maybes
Onthebreeze
Domnior

If I've missed you feel free to send me an IM.
View Quote

High 30's to 40 is great!  A thermal top with pants is usually plenty to stay warm as long as you're moving.  I'll bring a sweatshirt, light gloves and a hat just in case but doubt if I'll need that much.  I crank out some BTU's hauling a pack!

I'm bringing at least one other non-arf guy with me plus probably my 20 year old son.  Not sure if the wife is going to make this one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice trail, and Council grove is a great place. I can't make it, but have a great time!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks like I'll be bringing 3 others with me!  See you all tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Another outstanding arfcom get together today. Thanks to everyone who came out!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Another outstanding arfcom get together today. Thanks to everyone who came out!
View Quote

It was a good time and a tiny bit less painful for me!  Hopefully the training and weight loss will pay off in another month!

There were 7 of us total I think with me and a buddy bringing our 20 year old sons with us.

Here are a few pics for those who missed it.

About a half mile in.
Attachment Attached File

Spread out a little after a couple miles.
Attachment Attached File

About 5 miles in we were spread across about 1/4 mile.
Attachment Attached File

We had radios this time so that the leaders could check in with the caboose and adjust pace as needed.

At the halfway point the leaders held up to let us caboose dwellers catch up and recover before starting back.

The “trail” was a gravel path on an unused converted rail line that’s part of a 100+ mile recreational trail.  A few areas had snow on them and there were some soupy spots but overall a good surface that didn’t cause any issues.

So far so good with everyone seemingly a bunch of normies.  The fact no one has pinged my weirdo meter has me a little concerned that maybe I’m the weirdo.

Definitely looking forward to getting a “real” pack that’s meant for the weight.  The wimpy little belts on a weekend pack do almost nothing to take the weight off your shoulders.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Next up is our March 13th APC event near Pittsburg where we’ll do a morning hike, pistol class/qualification and Project Appleseed half day rifle class.

It’ll be a full day at the range and some great training!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Gotta do a better job of lacing up my left boot or figure out what’s causing the hot spot on my left heel.

Attachment Attached File

The first hike was a lot more rigorous with up and downhill sections and just left a slight red spot.  I’d have expected to have less of a problem now than then.

My left knee isn’t 100% so that may be affecting my gait somehow.  Gotta keep getting stronger.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Great turnout!  I've got a bit of tenderness in my right toes but overall felt much better than the first.

Thanka again to everyone who made it and I'll have books for everyone next month!
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like you all had a great time.

I feel violated and insecure now that I have been traced back to Kansas............

........30 years later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looks like you all had a great time.

I feel violated and insecure now that I have been traced back to Kansas............

........30 years later.
View Quote

It's just a short 14+ hour drive to come hike with us!  LOL
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top