Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2017 8:23:16 PM EDT
I'm being transferred to Honolulu and kinda worried about ammo on the island. Is it hard to get? 556, 300 aac, 9mm 40 cal and .22?  Been reading about all the laws and everything and worried about my magazines too. Is it really that bad
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The magazine bans refers to only pistols mags.  It is a slight grey area for AR15 mags but most  of the time if you do not have an AR pistol registered before the enactment of the assault pistol in the early 90's.  Not a big worry.  As for ammo, since I have not been home for a while.  It is probably going to be a bit higher than you are accustom to.  Expect to reload your ammo.  It is probably a slightly better solution.

The only thing sucks is that on Oahu.  So far, the only office on the entire island is at HPD HQ in downtown.  Currently, if my best friend who has not stop bitching about the long wait times.  It is couple of hours.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
No problems getting the ammo.  OGC Tactical would be your first choice.  They're always having sales.  Security Equipment also has some good prices on ammo.  Go to 2aHawaii website and you can see the ads from previous sales.  Its not as cheap as shit you can order online and mailed to your house like when you're on the Mainland.

As for mags, rifle mags of any size are ok.  It is kind of a grey area as mentioned above, some shops will sell 30 or 60 rounders (like OGC) while other shops interpret the law to the t and only sell those mags to law enforcement.  Pistol  mags can only be 10 rounds max.  If you have standard mags, i would leave them on the mainland if possible.  You can take them apart and have them as a "parts kit", but once assembled they're illegal. Don't bring these with you when you go to the police station to register all your guns.  If you have a big collection you'll be there for awhile.  Oh yeah, and they started the rapback program too so you'll be entered into the FBI criminal database
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I recommend you read the laws and registration procedures at http://honolulupd.org/information/index.php?page=gunmain

There's also a summary of the laws at http://hawaiirifleassociation.org/ under "about us".  You should also join to help defend 2a rights.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in he military and want to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal that will piss anyone off if I show up at the range with a ar pistol and hi cap mag or anything off the wall
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#5]
You AR pistol is illegal here.  That's why 30 round AR mags is kind of a grey area.  Any mag that holds more than 10 rounds and can fit in a pistol is illegal.  But AR pistols are illegal in the first place so it won't fit in any pistol hence they're allowed.  Everybody turns a blind eye to it and I wouldn't even sweat it.  Everybody at the range is using them, but only 5 rounds at a time.

You better read the gun regulations for Hawaii really good.  Basically anything NFA is illegal and HPD (police) will confiscate it when you go to register.  No SBR,SBS, suppressors, machine guns, etc.  All the cool stuff is outlawed here.  Next to Kali and NY, we have some of the shittiest regs.  

It's not all doom and gloom though. Scohfield Barracks has a gun/fishing club open to all military.  They shoot at the range on base where anything goes the last I heard.  Mag dumps, rapid firing, shooting out to at least 1000 yds, etc.  While us civilians only have Kokohead, the only public range on the island.  100 yd max distance, no rapid firing, 5 rounds in mag only. No 50 BMG allowed. The neighboring city is always trying to shut it down with lies about stray rounds hitting their roofs, hikers trespassing and walking into the line of fire.  Anyways, not trying to bring you down but welcome to the islands and I hope you enjoy it here.  Aloha!
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn so no ar pistols. And you have to register all weapons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn so no ar pistols. And you have to register all weapons.
View Quote

Yes, that's correct.

Does HPD still gives out the white copy of the firearm registration? I still have all of my copies with me.

I remember a story about a guy brought his first firearm when Hawaii was a territory. 35 years later he went to apply for a pistol permit. It was either Nora or one of the firearms clerks   asked him if he still had his pistol because the only thing they had of a record of him dated back to the territory days.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#9]
No AR pistols

I normally buy my ammo in bulk from OGC. Dont shoot as often so I only buy if it is a "good" deal (good for hawaii that is)
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I am kinda in the same boat as in moving out to Hawaii with the military, are stripped AR lowers ok to have on the island?  Is it worth it to mail order ammo out to the island or is it cheaper to pick it up around on the island?  I have looked at the laws, but I haven't seen anything either way, are there mag capacity limits to shotguns?  Thank you for all the help.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The exception to that is CMP ammo.
View Quote
CMP can get very expensive with shipping as we don't qualify for free shipping.  The ammo would have to very cheap to be worthwhile.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top