View Quote
Give it a chance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Give it a chance.
View Quote
spent the last 4 years in a few statewide groups requiring monthly FTX's other training /volunteering...  mostly low country and mid state,( that was where the majority lived) and because of my leadership position and  "title" I also had to attend any Emergency or volunteer projects that we took on.  I would drive 1200-1600 miles a month just to participate... along with all the CERT, FEMA, SAR  and Med classes I took locally.... MY time/money was all used up...those days are behind me.

I thank you for taking this on and once again wish you all the best. at this time staying somewhat local and being part of something very small more suits my "need" to be out there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

spent the last 4 years in a few statewide groups requiring monthly FTX's other training /volunteering...  mostly low country and mid state,( that was where the majority lived) and because of my leadership position and  "title" I also had to attend any Emergency or volunteer projects that we took on.  I would drive 1200-1600 miles a month just to participate... along with all the CERT, FEMA, SAR  and Med classes I took locally.... MY time/money was all used up...those days are behind me.

I thank you for taking this on and once again wish you all the best. at this time staying somewhat local and being part of something very small more suits my "need" to be out there.
View Quote
Copy all. I have no plan this becoming that kind of burden on any of us. No time commitment beyond your health and fitness. Your expertise would be huge.

Please keep in touch as this matures. As far as money goes.  I am not spending more than the cost of gas, park entry fees when required and ammo/range fees when we shoot. I don’t have ton of “fun” money so this isn’t going to be a spendy thing at all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
just a thought,  with many interested across the entire state, a lot of us probably won't make the drive 2-4 hours one way monthly... what about splitting into 3 zones (low country, mid state, and upstate)  each zone gets together as often as they wish, with maybe a bi-annual state get together?  
in the past I have participated in a few other Similar groups , I have seen many great guys come and go do to a monthly statewide get together... it's just not viable for some of us.
this is just my 2 cents, and my opinion...
View Quote
I think this is a good idea.  If the idea is to encourage folks to get out and get fit; remove as many obstacles to that as possible.

That's another reason why i suggest that the group tries to hike all of the different state parks.  this allows people closer to those areas to whet their appetite and be encouraged to visit trails that require more travel.

I don't quite understand if this is supposed to be a formal organization, but in my opinion to get it up and going it is probably best to keep things as relaxed as possible to begin with.  As more people add on and increase in skill and fitness level, the group becomes more organizational to align with the ABB standards. It's hard enough to get ourselves off the couch as is, but adding in bureaucracy can turn more people off than put on. i hope that make sense.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think this is a good idea.  If the idea is to encourage folks to get out and get fit; remove as many obstacles to that as possible.

That's another reason why i suggest that the group tries to hike all of the different state parks.  this allows people closer to those areas to whet their appetite and be encouraged to visit trails that require more travel.

I don't quite understand if this is supposed to be a formal organization, but in my opinion to get it up and going it is probably best to keep things as relaxed as possible to begin with.  As more people add on and increase in skill and fitness level, the group becomes more organizational to align with the ABB standards. It's hard enough to get ourselves off the couch as is, but adding in bureaucracy can turn more people off than put on. i hope that make sense.
View Quote
Okay scratch what I stated.

Hike in April at PSP and we can go from there. I was trying to follow the format the ABB program laid out and we aren’t there yet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Wth are yall putting in a rucksack for it to weigh 35# anyway?

Seriously; I've never rucked before and have no idea what you're supposed to carry.  When i hike at Harbison, i'll throw on my deer hunting pack, which (besides a water bladder) is basically a bunch of gear i barely even use in the course of a hunting season! between that and my plate carrier, i'm sure it's easily 25lbs. Maybe? idk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seriously; I've never rucked before and have no idea what you're supposed to carry.  When i hike at Harbison, i'll throw on my deer hunting pack, which (besides a water bladder) is basically a bunch of gear i barely even use in the course of a hunting season! between that and my plate carrier, i'm sure it's easily 25lbs. Maybe? idk.
View Quote
I have weights wrapped in towels. IRL food, nods, shovel, IFAK, weapon cleaning shit, water and lots of it. Socks, baby wipes, toothbrush toothpaste. Poncho woobie depending on AO.

My deer hunting pack has an internal frame.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have weights wrapped in towels. IRL food, nods, shovel, IFAK, weapon cleaning shit, water and lots of it. Socks, baby wipes, toothbrush toothpaste. Poncho woobie depending on AO.

My deer hunting pack has an internal frame.
View Quote
"you had my curiosity, now you have my attention"

Ok, yeah, with that kind of list i think i can come up with ~35lbs of gear.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Erik and I have been messaging back and forth bouncing Ideas around and I realize none of this can be perfect. However I would encourage giving it a chance.  What I saw in VA was pretty powerful and everyone I’ve personally talked to feels a bit changed in a good way.

Who am I.  
These days I keep a pretty low profile as a self employed Real Estate Broker.  I work for a construction company setting up developments and offsite custom homes.
I’ve owned a few businesses prior to Real Estate and held a Managment position with 120 reports before that.
I’m closing in on 45 but I’ve managed to stay fit

Skill set
My formal training is fairly limited.  I have completed the Stop the Bleed course, CPR training and some formal security training from when I volunteered for armed church security.
Informal I was raised hunting the swamps of Florida and have spent my entire life enjoying the outdoors.  I am blessed to have a private shooting range and I use it weekly. That has allowed me to run drills that get you kicked off a public range.   I’ve had some private training but I will not try and mislead anyone I have plenty to learn.

What I lack on the formal skill side I plan to make up for in my desire to see this all happen.  If anyone in the upstate area wants to get some training hiking in IM me.
I have some extra gear if you don’t have a suitable rucksack etc and will help in any way I can.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"you had my curiosity, now you have my attention"

Ok, yeah, with that kind of list i think i can come up with ~35lbs of gear.
View Quote
You do realize MREs taste like shit, and then you don't shit.  We always gutted them for the food and candy and left most of the other stuff behind, even aircraft mechanics don't like lugging around shit we don't need.

If you want we can make sure your picnic lunches are MREs to give you the feel of a true gut bomb.  I think I have an entree or two in my desk at work.  LOL
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Erik and I have been messaging back and forth bouncing Ideas around and I realize none of this can be perfect. However I would encourage giving it a chance.  What I saw in VA was pretty powerful and everyone I’ve personally talked to feels a bit changed in a good way.

Who am I.  
These days I keep a pretty low profile as a self employed Real Estate Broker.  I work for a construction company setting up developments and offsite custom homes.
I’ve owned a few businesses prior to Real Estate and held a Managment position with 120 reports before that.

Skill set
My formal training is fairly limited.  I have completed the Stop the Bleed course, CPR training and some formal security training from when I volunteered for armed church security.
Informal I was raised hunting the swamps of Florida and have spent my entire life enjoying the outdoors.  I am blessed to have a private shooting range and I use it weekly. That has allowed me to run drills that get you kicked off a public range.   I’ve had some private training but I will not try and mislead anyone I have plenty to learn.

What I lack on the formal skill side I plan to make up for in my desire to see this all happen.  If anyone in the upstate area wants to get some training hiking in IM me.
I have some extra gear if you don’t have a suitable rucksack etc and will help in any way I can.
View Quote
How do your upstate contacts feel about the BB program?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who am I.  

Skill set

They all seem open minded.
I am concerned about some of their schedules but things will get easier for everyone after the time change.
I know a few LE that I’d like to approach but really wanted to have a little more clarity on plans.   Two in particular would be a huge assets due to SF and swat training.   I know where they stand on the issues but no idea if they would precipitate.

I’m very optimistic overall but I have already accepted this concept may carry a stigma for some.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#14]
First Hike/Ruck

11APR20, 0900 edited due to a conflict with CWW and a few SCBB folks are going.

Poinsett State Park

6 miles, Ruck not required but it will be a "Witness" hike.

Options for shorter distances over flat terrain.

Bring lunch. There are tables and pavilions.

Family friendly, State Park firearm laws apply.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Hang fire
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#16]
100% in
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#17]
@mc556

North Carolina infiltrator here, although without the mask and helmet from VA.

Highpower can have some distance between ranges, especially full-distance (600 yard for XTC- Across the Course), but here goes. . .

Polk county, NC. Not a full distance course, but has up to 300 yards and uses a reduced target to simulate the 600 yard event. Link goes direct to calender.

http://www.polkcountygunclub.org/

Belton, SC (webpage contains link to schedule)

https://beltongunclubinc.org/page-1855513

Palmetto Gun Club.
Direct to event calendar: looks like a HP event every month. Down I-26 from you.

http://www.palmettogunclub.org/calendar/index.html

Full distance XTC, Mid and Long range in NC. Direct to event calendar:

http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/Pages/MatchCalendar.htm

River Bend Gun Club near Dawsonville, GA. Full distance XTC.

http://www.rbgc.org/

River Bend also hosts the Southern States Classic, a several day long XTC match along with a 4-man team match and CMP EIC match.

http://www.richardsassociates.org/

There may be a few more around you (Greenville and Charlotte have some ranges that hold 100-200 yard reduced which I am unaware of.

These folks would probably have a good idean although some can be slow to respond: Https://www.usrifleteams.com/forums
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Will try and show. Will firm up when we get closer.

Ultimately, the group may need to break into Lowcountry, Midlands, and Upstate/Mountain Boys groups with occasional convergence.

Was jelly of your Ceaser's Head pics. We have pretty places down here on the coast, but no real hikes. They're walks unless you detour through the pluff mud. We don't get to CH or Table Rock but once a year when we get up your way. Always a good time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like Erik said, weights in towels for 35lbs. For 50 lbs. I use a sack of cement.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Like Erik said, weights in towels for 35lbs. For 50 lbs. I use a sack of cement.
View Quote
My range bag and a garand ammo box filled with PMAgs full of 223 Ammo came to 43 lbs including 6
Lbs of weight in the ruck bag itself.

Think this sits better than just a plate of weight. Range bag has stuff like sandbags, wrenches, notebooks etc in it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I should be in but will confirm as it gets closer. I’d be up for something upstate before then if anyone else is interested.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:51:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Will try and show. Will firm up when we get closer.

Ultimately, the group may need to break into Lowcountry, Midlands, and Upstate/Mountain Boys groups with occasional convergence.

Was jelly of your Ceaser's Head pics. We have pretty places down here on the coast, but no real hikes. They're walks unless you detour through the pluff mud. We don't get to CH or Table Rock but once a year when we get up your way. Always a good time.
View Quote
I live midstate and drive to the upstate for hikes. Being an empty nester allows for the weekend freedom.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@mc556

North Carolina infiltrator here, although without the mask and helmet from VA.

Highpower can have some distance between ranges, especially full-distance (600 yard for XTC- Across the Course), but here goes. . .

Polk county, NC. Not a full distance course, but has up to 300 yards and uses a reduced target to simulate the 600 yard event. Link goes direct to calender.

http://www.polkcountygunclub.org/

Belton, SC (webpage contains link to schedule)

https://beltongunclubinc.org/page-1855513

Palmetto Gun Club.
Direct to event calendar: looks like a HP event every month. Down I-26 from you.

http://www.palmettogunclub.org/calendar/index.html

Full distance XTC, Mid and Long range in NC. Direct to event calendar:

http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/Pages/MatchCalendar.htm

River Bend Gun Club near Dawsonville, GA. Full distance XTC.

http://www.rbgc.org/

River Bend also hosts the Southern States Classic, a several day long XTC match along with a 4-man team match and CMP EIC match.

http://www.richardsassociates.org/

There may be a few more around you (Greenville and Charlotte have some ranges that hold 100-200 yard reduced which I am unaware of.

These folks would probably have a good idean although some can be slow to respond: Https://www.usrifleteams.com/forums
View Quote
Dang man thanks for all that.
I will not forget who you are.  Wife took a few pics and you managed to be in a few lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there anyone interested in a tuneup hike on the mourning of Feb 9th?  9am

This will not be a witnessed hike so your pack and weight are optional.
The trail isn’t anything difficult so if it’s been awhile it’s a great start.  I will apologize up front but Sat at least in the winter is very difficult for me to plan anything.  I realize Church is a issue so I’ll see what I can move around going forward. It’s my hope that as others meet we will have plenty of organized and unorganized hikes.

I can’t stress this enough. I am just a guy that wants to see the SC BB’s get off the ground.  I have no personal agenda outside of riding the momentum from VA rally.  That being said I hope you all can join me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#25]
VA got me sick so that week I missed Monday, wednesday,  and Thursday from work.  I hope to be catching up to the lost time by the end of next week.

Count me in for any battle buddy activities from about Feb 7th onward in the columbia area.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Not sure if the question on firearms in state parks was about open carry or firearms in general but you can carry a handgun in state parks with a cwp.

Possession of firearms is prohibited except by certified park rangers and other authorized personnel.  Those who are properly permitted (CWP), are allowed to carry a firearm on state park property.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The trail isn’t anything difficult so if it’s been awhile it’s a great start.  I will apologize up front but Sat at least in the winter is very difficult for me to plan anything.  I realize Church is a issue so I’ll see what I can move around going forward. It’s my hope that as others meet we will have plenty of organized and unorganized hikes.

I can’t stress this enough. I am just a guy that wants to see the SC BB’s get off the ground.  I have no personal agenda outside of riding the momentum from VA rally.  That being said I hope you all can join me.
View Quote
I should be in. I’ll confirm next week though. Do you have a headcount? @mc556
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have been upstate twice this month already.  I need to stay local for now.  I will be doing a hike at PSP at least one day this weekend.  I have tomorrow off from work an plan on going to the range for some pistol practice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I ordered a ruck from LAPG, as was suggested in another thread, and received it yesterday.
I put a plate carrier, helmet, AR pistol, and 9 loaded 30 rounders inside of it and it came up to 46 lbs.
I may be wrong but I think 35# only counts if you’re carrying a rifle. Otherwise, 45 lbs is what’s necessary to qualify.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I ordered a ruck from LAPG, as was suggested in another thread, and received it yesterday.
I put a plate carrier, helmet, AR pistol, and 9 loaded 30 rounders inside of it and it came up to 46 lbs.
I may be wrong but I think 35# only counts if you’re carrying a rifle. Otherwise, 45 lbs is what’s necessary to qualify.
View Quote
Other direction with the weight. 25lb w/ rifle, 35lb without. My PC fully loaded is about 15lbs so i could put that in my pack if wearing it doesn’t count. I can find the weight difference  between other useful items to hit the threshold.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between 4-6 depending on who makes it or not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have been upstate twice this month already.  I need to stay local for now.  I will be doing a hike at PSP at least one day this weekend.  I have tomorrow off from work an plan on going to the range for some pistol practice.
View Quote
I'll make it your way for the witnessed hike.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm interested. I live in the upstate, and like some other posters, would likely participate more in a local group.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Other direction with the weight. 25lb w/ rifle, 35lb without. My PC fully loaded is about 15lbs so i could put that in my pack if wearing it doesn’t count. I can find the weight difference  between other useful items to hit the threshold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pulled this from one of the other threads.
“-Complete the above 3rd Class requirements while carrying a minimum 35lbs pack (dry weight, excluding water) and long gun, or 45lbs pack without long gun (Standard Hike Conditions).”
I think the 25lbs is just a one time 3 mile hike to earn provisional status but again, I might be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't mind helping to get this going....I'll share what I know...I'm open to local hiking in the upstate ( I'm in the Spartanburg area) ,  I will also share what's in my 72hr bag(40#) and my 24hr bag ( 20#)....  small hikes will prepare you to get in shape to qualify.
the list of pack contents will vary person to person, I have had a GHB(get home bag) my 72 hr bag for over 20 years... I am still changing, adding or subtracting things as I go.  your personal bag is ever evolving.  all we can do is suggest a list of basic necessities and you take it from there.
I can potentially live out of my 72 hr. bag for weeks, maybe months if I had to.  I carry everything from 3 forms of fire starting, to 3 forms of water purifying. I carry a tarp, and a small one man tent. I have a snack pouch for on the go light snacking which includes beef jerky, and Spam singles, I carry Instant coffee pouches which can be mixed into a water bottle and drank cold, and also tea bags...  and I have a few stripped MRE main course pouches for any long term survival situation. I have an entire section for hygiene, including wipes and TP,   basically I prepare my 72 hr bag as if I am going to be homeless and go from there.  again always remember that no two people have the same needs...everyone's bag is going to be different.  when it comes to my IFAK , I still need to learn how to pack it in a standard way so if someone else grabs it they will know the "layout"

I'm probably going to retire these packs this year and get something newer with more support...

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#36]
one of those cheap dumbbell kits from walmart (plastic covered) will get you over 40lbs.  I just packed my ruck with them wrapped in towels.  I may go tomorrow locally and try it out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
“-Complete the above 3rd Class requirements while carrying a minimum 35lbs pack (dry weight, excluding water) and long gun, or 45lbs pack without long gun (Standard Hike Conditions).”
I think the 25lbs is just a one time 3 mile hike to earn provisional status but again, I might be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, okay i see it now; yep, it’s 25lbs under that provisional status. i misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I think I may try out 35lb on a hike tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm interested. I live in the upstate, and like some other posters, would likely participate more in a local group.
View Quote
If you can make it come out Sunday.  
I will not do Sundays after this one due to feedback from others.  I’ll have to figure out how to make Saturday’s work
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think I may try out 35lb on a hike tomorrow.
View Quote
Did you make it out today?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Did you make it out today?
View Quote
Nope. Sammich maker made “plans”.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I will try to make it Sunday, but I make no promises...
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I am going to stick with this Sunday but I can tell Sat will have to be what’s in the future.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am going to stick with this Sunday but I can tell Sat will have to be what’s in the future.
View Quote
I should be in unless something comes up between now and then.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I will not do Sundays after this one due to feedback from others.  I’ll have to figure out how to make Saturday’s work
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry I missed you.  Have been busy with work and family stuff.  If the rain stops, I may try and go for a short hike this Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:10:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I'll soon be a South Carolinian.  Id be interested in something around Charleston.  Tagscribed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Planning on a hike at PSP this afternoon. As long as the rain stays away.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Jibs009
You or anyone else planing on being there tomorrow ?
With all the bridges washed out and it being a mess I’m not sure if anyone is planing to go tomorrow.

Post up if possible so I’m not out by myself
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Jibs009
You or anyone else planing on being there tomorrow ?
With all the bridges washed out and it being a mess I’m not sure if anyone is planing to go tomorrow.

Post up if possible so I’m not out by myself
View Quote
@mc556
No. I’m sure it’s a mess up there. I’ll try next one though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ll call this one then.
We had some major flooding here is a pic of my neighbors driveway to back of property Attachment Attached File

This is not a lake it’s a pasture down the road Attachment Attached File

Now we have a mud pit plus some snow here is my drive earlier. Not much but it mad one mess even worse
Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top