Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2017 8:04:44 PM EDT
Does anyone know of one that can make movements? Quartz to be exact
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
H. Goose is up in T.R.  Not sure if he "makes" the movements, but they are the only local watchmaker I know.  I've been wearing one for close to a year and it's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Hardly anyone in the US actually makes watch movements anymore, quartz or otherwise.

RGM in Pennsylvania makes some of theirs, I believe Weiss out of Los Angeles recently introduced a fully US-manufactured movement, but in any of these cases, you'll pay dearly to have "Made in USA" on the dial or caseback of your watch. Now if you're looking for "Assembled in USA" from Swiss, Japanese, and/or Chinese parts, then that opens up the possibilities a bit wider.

I own two Bernhardt watches, assembled in High Point, NC by Fred Amos, and they are excellent timepieces at reasonable prices from a small company with great customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. They do make one quartz model that I'm aware of, the Field Diver.

Bernhardt Watches
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I never had movements "made", but for repairs I had a good experience with The Watch Works in Spartanburg. Give them a call.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hardly anyone in the US actually makes watch movements anymore, quartz or otherwise.

RGM in Pennsylvania makes some of theirs, I believe Weiss out of Los Angeles recently introduced a fully US-manufactured movement, but in any of these cases, you'll pay dearly to have "Made in USA" on the dial or caseback of your watch. Now if you're looking for "Assembled in USA" from Swiss, Japanese, and/or Chinese parts, then that opens up the possibilities a bit wider.

I own two Bernhardt watches, assembled in High Point, NC by Fred Amos, and they are excellent timepieces at reasonable prices from a small company with great customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. They do make one quartz model that I'm aware of, the Field Diver.

Bernhardt Watches
View Quote
I've got a watch with a cheap japanese/taiwan/whatever movement that doesn't seem to be made anymore.

I'm not sure why the watch shops I've been to can't find one the same size to put in it to make it run.

So getting one made seems to be my only option. I don't need a whole watch, just a movement.

Sentimental value.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I never had movements "made", but for repairs I had a good experience with The Watch Works in Spartanburg. Give them a call.
View Quote
That guy just puts premade movements in and calls it good. I need a real watchmaker.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That guy just puts premade movements in and calls it good. I need a real watchmaker.
View Quote
To be fair, that's what most watch "makers" are going to be able to do for you. There aren't many people out there capable of building a bespoke movement from scratch, and if there are, they will charge you a hefty fee for the service.

My understanding of your situation is that you've got a watch case that's of sentimental value and you're looking for a new movement to place in it. Your best bet is going to be to have a watch maker identify an off-the-shelf movement that will fit the case, possibly with some modification involved.

Replacing quartz watch movement
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.  They repaired a early 20th century pocket watch of mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top