Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2017 9:58:51 PM EDT
I am going to be in Charleston in a few weeks and have heard there are places you can find shark teeth on some beaches.   Anyone have any pointers on where to go?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Live just south of there, in Beaufort SC.  We find them more on the beaches/ sand bars on the rivers.  Beaches are good but not as many.  Small ones, under an inch.  If you can get to some sand pits that's 30 feet down, that's where the megladons (?) are found.  Friend at the Garbage Dump finds hundreds, can't get me in though.  Can try treading the upper deltas of rivers but wrong time of year.  Between the sharks and water snakes, the alligators use salt/ brackish water to get leaches off.  About 60 feet down is an ancient coral reef, and our aquifer runs under the limestone it has become.

Other than that we only have seashells, sand/ clay, and civil war bullets laying around here in the Low Country!  Need to go to northern part of state for the really good stuff like gemstones and gold.

K
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you are going diving, just walk along the beach and look for them. Maybe take a strainer out to a sandbar on low tide. The ones that
You'll find are usually smallish and black. If you dive in the Cooper river, you might find a Megladon tooth but Ive never done that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Far as beaches go I would avoid any that have had recent sand rejuvenation. Contrary to what I thought would be the case, pumping offshore sand in to reinforce the shoreline has screwed up fossil hunting for me. Summerville area also has some good shark tooth rich geologic formations inland that are at the surface. In the recent past folks have ruined some areas due to hole digging, not backfilling and creating hazards and erosive conditions. There are a few small business types that will take you out to their claim/permission area for a small fee. I did this a few years ago and was surprised at the number of teeth and fossils that were found sifting through a creek sandbar.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top